noob wanting help

Hi, I am a 60 year old guy that wants to learn how to fly sim jets. I am not sure where I should post this so I posted it here.

I just downloaded DCS world and have flown the SU-25T and have a lot of questions about DCS and don't know where to ask questions.

Can you help a noob out?

Thanks.

start reading manual.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/223750/manuals/DCS%20World%20Su-25T%20Flight%20Manual%20EN.pdf?t=1447356895

After that you can select training in the opening screen. Search for SU-25t.

You can follow evertyhing from the su25t on youtube :

Complete series su25t

[ame]

[/ame]

So sit for it. This is a whole lot info.

Welcome to DCS :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yes, you can.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/

But start with the su25t this is the basic from DCS. Start with the movies. Relax and try to understand. Try to do the same in game. That's how i did it. For more info there are the manuals. There is so many to learn. The learncurve is slow. For example i fly now a year and a half and still there are new things to learn. Every plane has other options. It's no game..it is a very complete simulation. And i have never seen this before in my 30 years of playing games. Good luck and have fun.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

How do I set up my HOTAS? I have a Saitek x-45 right now, but I can buy something new if needed, but I can't get it to work correctly. The su25t is always flying nose up and that gets old after a while. I have flown falcon bsm and it's a level and straight path.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a place to set up the calibration for the joy stick that I am missing?

How do I set up my HOTAS? I have a Saitek x-45 right now, but I can buy something new if needed, but I can't get it to work correctly. The su25t is always flying nose up and that gets old after a while. I have flown falcon bsm and it's a level and straight path.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a place to set up the calibration for the joy stick that I am missing?

Callibration is i think in saitek driversoftware. Don't know i don't have this joystick.

You can set all control options of every single airplane.

Nose up. You must trim the airplane. See manual.

I know you want to know everything as soon as possible. But patience, reading, searching is the key here. The manual tells you. google search can help too in particular questions and the forums here.

Oh yeah...one point you buy a trackir5..in my opninion a must and i very big plus for joy of the sim

Edited by boedha68

Short trim lesson: Fly by wire aircraft like the F16 will hold their attitude and don't need trimming. The Su25 requires trim. The default trim keys are Control and the , . / and ; keys. Control ; will trim nose down, Ctrl . will trim nose up, and Ctrl / is right aileron trim with Ctrl , being left aileron trim. If the nose constantly wants to rise, tap Ctrl ; a few times to try trimming nose down so that it flies level. Launching weapons from one wing only will mean a lateral mass imbalance which will need aileron trim to compensate for. Any change in pitch, speed, or thrust will affect the relationship and require re-trimming. Practice just flying around, it's easy to get into but has a colossal amount to learn.

welcome to DCS scarecrow.

beside reading the manuals that are usualy withing your DCS folder,

- ....\DCS World\Doc

- ....\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\"aircraftname"\Doc

and all the other hints already posted, i highly recommend to meet on teamspeak with someone who is willing to explain things. in my opinion thats the fastest way to sort things out and get known to some folks here ;)

have fun with DCS, and when you masterd the su-25t and tf-51d you will most likely end up with a full hangar in the future :D

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

The Su-25t only trims with the AP and not with the keys listed in controls.

Use AP LevelFlight to retrim AC to a stable attitude. Redo whenever you need to, aka change in speed, weight, altitude...

Take your time, it takes years to master but only takes a few hours to get started and have some fun.

Watch youtube tutorials !!!! Search for dcs tutorials matching your airframe....step by step

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for all the help guys. I have been trimming out the Su-25 to fly it I just didn't think it was something that had to be done all the time I was in the air. I guess older aircraft are just like that.

I suggest mapping trim controls to your joystick hat switch, you're going to use them a lot, and that's where they are located in the real Su-25.

I'd also suggest getting Track IR, or some other head tracking device, it makes a huge difference.

Welcome to the DCS World! :)

The Su-25t only trims with the AP and not with the keys listed in controls.

That is not correct, it is trimmed with the listed controls, if they don't work then you have an issue.

It's true that the AP uses the trims to control the aircraft though, so if you cut the AP the in the middle of a funky turn you'll have some trouble getting it back to normal trim :D

Better use the level AP as you suggested in that case.

I have to be honest here, flying the Su-25 is like driving a bus with flat tires in the mud.

When it's clean it's quite nimble actually, very enjoyable ;)

That is not correct, it is trimmed with the listed controls, if they don't work then you have an issue.

It's true that the AP uses the trims to control the aircraft though, so if you cut the AP the in the middle of a funky turn you'll have some trouble getting it back to normal trim :D

Better use the level AP as you suggested in that case.

When it's clean it's quite nimble actually, very enjoyable ;)

I will give that a 2nd try, afair trimming with SHFT/CTRL-ARROW was voided somewhere in the 1.2.x branch and only the AP would retrim the plane level but I am happy to be wrong cuz it takes some 5-15 sec for the AP to level the plane out, seconds you dont always have.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have to be honest here, flying the Su-25 is like driving a bus with flat tires in the mud.

If you want to fly something easy to handle, try F-15C (which you'd have to buy, though in that case I would recommend the full Flaming Cliffs 3 package) - flying is really a pleasure, the harder part comes with operating the radar. :music_whistling:

And if you have any questions, just ask - as you have already seen, this community is great and very friendly.

Though as someone rightly said, first thing to do is to read the manual.

Good flying! :pilotfly:

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I will give that a 2nd try, afair trimming with SHFT/CTRL-ARROW was voided somewhere in the 1.2.x branch and only the AP would retrim the plane level but I am happy to be wrong cuz it takes some 5-15 sec for the AP to level the plane out, seconds you dont always have.

Trims are RCtrl+, ; . /

I just checked and they work fine (you made me doubt since I didn't fly the 25T in a while music_whistling.gif) :thumbup:

I was thinking about the A-10. I like the idea of being close to the ground and using that cannon. I see that the Flaming Cliffs3 has an A-10 among other birds to fly. Do you think I should buy it or just the A-10?

Also I am pretty sure the reason the Su-25 is sluggish is a combination of not knowing what I am doing right now and the setting up of my old Saitek X-45. I have no problem with flying within the limits of the 25, it's kind of a challenge.

I was thinking about the A-10. I like the idea of being close to the ground and using that cannon. I see that the Flaming Cliffs3 has an A-10 among other birds to fly. Do you think I should buy it or just the A-10?

Also I am pretty sure the reason the Su-25 is sluggish is a combination of not knowing what I am doing right now and the setting up of my old Saitek X-45. I have no problem with flying within the limits of the 25, it's kind of a challenge.

Well the loaded SU-25T, is a sluggish aircraft, when compared to a MiG-29, but much less sluggish than an A-10 :D

The SU-25T gives you an idea of FC3 what aircraft are like.

They're all pretty much the same, avionics-wise, a few keys, simplified systems (I'm over-simplifying here, don't shoot, you DCS veterans!).

Some of the FC3 planes have a decent flight model (SU-25T is one of them), other not (but they're getting updated progressively), there's a list somewhere.

There are attack aircraft (SU-25, A-10A), fighters (some can do some ground attack too, like SU-27,33 and MiG-29), it's quite diversified.

On the other hand, there are the full fidelity modules like A-10C, KA-50, MiG-21BIS, Mirage-2000C, L-39, well, all the other modules, I won't list them all here. Those modules are more expensive but they also provide a much higher degree of systems complexity and all have advanced flight model (sometimes not finished, for the betas), as well as clickable cockpit (you don't have to remember all the keys, just click the switch in the cockpit).

The choice of either module depends on what you want/how to fly, if you're happy with simplified avionics and want to fly varied aircraft for a reasonable price, FC3 is a good entry point, either buy FC3 (all modules at once) or one by one (A-10A, SU-25, SU-27, SU-33, MiG-29, F-15).

If you're more interested in a study sim with realistic avionics, for ground attack, the A-10C will make your day, it's manual is 600+ pages with lots of different systems, there's a ton to learn (you don't need to be proficient at FC3 to fly it).

If you have the patience you can buy the modules for a lower price when a sale happens (usually every other month).

If you give more details about what/how you want to fly maybe I can give better advice.

If you are not really sure, maybe you can stick fo the SU-25T and grab FC3 or A-10C when a good sale occurs.

If you're used to the Viper in BMS, then the Su-25T will definitely feel like a bus. But as long as you exercise patience, you will find the Su-25T to be a very versatile and capable strike aircraft.

The key to the Su-25T is patience. A fully laden Su-25T doesn't want to pull more than 2.5g in a turn, else you will get max AoA and stall. Knowing this, you need to plan your attacks at stand-off range and then break away from the target well before you're in danger of overflying it. Fortunately, the AoA indexer and G meter are on the same gauge (displayed prominently in the upper left portion of the instrument panel), so it's easy to keep an eye on both and keep the plane under control.

For a Vikhr attack, I recommend starting at least 7km from the target (there's that patience thing again). Finding the target with the shkval is not easy at first and takes some practice. You also need to lock onto the target far enough away that you have time to put the Vikhr targeting reticle over the target, fire, and then keep the laser on the target until impact. You need to do all of this before overflying the target, else you need to break off the attack, turn around, extend to 7km, and try again. Again, patience...

Once you do get it, the learning curve will pick up. I can get 2 Vikhrs on target in a single pass (3 if I don't care about overflying the target).

Hope this helps.

I have flown the BMS Viper several times, mostly doing Thunder Bird/ Blue Angles stuff over the runway. I am miles away from using all the radar and weapons.

I do like the fun of clicking the cockpit switches more than the key board.

I should buy new hardware. I am thinking of getting a iTrack5 and the Saiteck 52 or 55. What do you guys think?