Just bought my asus r9 390x

EDT

I keep getting crashes, and I dont know why. It seems driverrelated since its whenever the card is on heavy duty. How do I update my drivers? Can any1 help me out? :)

Asus Maximus Hero VIII - 6700K @4.7GHz cooled by a Fractal Design Kelvin S36 - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM - Samsung 850 Pro 240GB SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD - WD RED 3 TB HDD - TM Warthog HOTAS - VPC T-50 stick and base - Baur BRD-F1 rudder pedals - Oculus rift CV1

I keep getting crashes, and I dont know why. It seems driverrelated since its whenever the card is on heavy duty. How do I update my drivers? Can any1 help me out? :)

Are you running Crossfire?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Nope, just a single 390x. Just new at this PC stuff. Only played DCS on a laptop with a gtx 860m so far..

Asus Maximus Hero VIII - 6700K @4.7GHz cooled by a Fractal Design Kelvin S36 - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM - Samsung 850 Pro 240GB SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD - WD RED 3 TB HDD - TM Warthog HOTAS - VPC T-50 stick and base - Baur BRD-F1 rudder pedals - Oculus rift CV1

evga p2 750w platinum power supply. That's not enough? The only drivers I have downloaded is the ones with windows updater. Assebled my PC 3 days ago..

evga p2 750w platinum power supply. That's not enough? The only drivers I have downloaded is the ones with windows updater. Assebled my PC 3 days ago..

That one should supply enough power. If your card has >1 power connector, are more power cables from power supply connected?

Furthermore, I suggest downloading and installing the latest AMD drivers directly from AMD.

I had some crashes also and were running on a 850 PSU. Changed to 1000 PSU and problem solved. What else do you have running? And have you cleared out the old drivers properly?

Your old one must have been faulty. It's really hard to get a single graphics card PC to draw more than 500W at full load, even if you choose the most power hungry components available and over-clock the components. A fully functional 850W PSU will easily handle a powerful PC with dual 980ti's.

• 1 month later...

I run my ASUS 390X STRIX on a 750W XFX PSU (I forget the model designation) without any issues what so ever...

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your old one must have been faulty. It's really hard to get a single graphics card PC to draw more than 500W at full load, even if you choose the most power hungry components available and over-clock the components. A fully functional 850W PSU will easily handle a powerful PC with dual 980ti's.

Wrong !

My PC consumes up to 612W as of Corsair Link Software in full overclock and prime95 + Kombustor + 4 YT Videos etc...

While gaming DCS, you are right, it settles somewhere around 280-450 Watt, depending on

stock or full overclock on both CPU and GPU.

Still, a good 850 or even 750 PSU should deliver that without any headaches.

Just to avoid any of this I opted for a powermonster with 1200 and software to read out.

BTW: 2 x 980Ti = 2x 300W in NON-OVERCLOCK mode, RTFM, no where that a 850-PSU will do those in SLI + overclocxk the whole damn thing, no way .

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Check the basics......

Remove and reseat the card.

Power cables to the card>?

I believe the R 390X takes 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8 pin power connectors. Double check these on both ends (PSU and Graphics card).

You have 4 different PCI-E connectors on the modular supply. If you are using two of these connectors on the same horizontal row (VGA1 + VGA3) or (VGA2 + VGA4) , try using VGA1 and VGA2 together if this does not work try using VGA3 and VGA4. One of these combinations should work well. That is a good PSU and more than adequate to the task.

Use DDU found here (scroll down) to remove your old drivers and clean up. From the same site grab the latest AMD Radeon Software Crimson drivers (scroll down a little further) and download and install them after the cleanup.

Good luck,

Out

Edited by PoleCat

As PoleCat says: Check the basics is always a good basis ;)

I had crashes over crashes with my new 390x out of the box in DCS.

Was unable to play longer then a few minutes.

Then i simple made a driver-update to the newest version and all was good!

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

I fixed the issue. I'm pretty sure I had driver issues, with both driver install from a disc and drivers from AMD website. Worked when I clean installed everything in the right order.

Now my new rig runs like a charm! :)