F/A-18C Pits?

SageOT

Anybody have one already built in preparation or currently working on one? I'm still in the planning stages but only about a month or two out from cutting (large format CNC at the maker space should be done by then).

And for those not aware, http://hornetpits.org/ exists. Lots of good stuff there, 99% geared towards the VRS Superbug, but a friendly community and a place to start.

I ask because if anyone has already started I will happily steal the heck out of any ideas you have. :)

Sage

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Thanks for the info.

I'm bulding a Hog Pit. I don't think I'll be building a Hornet

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

im undecided at the moment. but have been practising modeling as i have the electronics in the mail to build a cnc.

here is a model i did the other night. its not perfect but was really just a test. i sent the gcode file to another member who is learning to use a cnc machine aswell.

cmfd_zpsoqie2zim.jpg

my main issue is i dont really fly combat. i fly formations and just generally fly around looking at the scenery so building a combat aircraft is alot of useless work. however the refueling and carrier landing side of things draws me in. and having the complete cockpit layout in a drawing helps massively.

• 4 weeks later...

So I 3d printed my first thing ever today. A little Dzus replica. Came out fairly decent. I'm about to go knob crazy. Only thing I'm having trouble finding online is a .stl file for the below.. The rest of the knobs in the pit are either already out there from Boeing simmers or are similar enough. I just haven't seen this type... Anybody seen one on thingi or somewhere else?

Thanks,

11246851_496968410465097_4576497897451665818_o.jpg

image hosting over 5mb

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

on eBay the ech knob web site http://www.ehcknobs.com/

you might want to use real pictures the knob set varies.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/5/1/7/1454715.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/6/1/1336164.jpg

Edited by Deadman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Thanks Deadman.

JAR, looks great! I love that you put the step... Got me thinking... I had been debating how to go about getting into/out of my build when done.

All the different setups... I'm guessing ED is modeling 163985-ish based on the old style center MFD bezel and the gun cam panel.

Edited by SageOT

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
356998EA-B333-4A0E-8139-A75EEDA5AAEF_zpsx4zygfs6.jpg

3090352D-1D81-4724-A890-248F2CFE0F65_zpsbnaavxds.jpg

506B9FE8-372E-47F1-A9DC-EA3BD807C731_zpsgk6jzvaz.jpg

B3A0D25D-CCAE-449E-A72F-71FF437071C6_zpseuyiryrn.jpg

Only "real" bits are:

F/A-18A windscreen

F-14D ejection seat handle

C-130 countermeasure panel

Airspeed indicator

Grimes cockpit light

The rest is crafted using NATOPS/photos from steel, aluminium, wood and industrial scrap.

Haven't had it online for a few years as all it gets me is endless emails/PMs asking for dimensions or to buy it :)

Hornet is a great one to build because you get a LEX to step on. Plus the windscreen could be easily replicated with a single curved sheet of acrylic.

I've disconnected the extra screen/MFD in preparation for VR.

Wow! That looks awesome!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

im not going to worry about back lit panels. i got the poster printed with the whole cockpit layout for $30, i spoke with the guy and to print the same file inverted colour and laminated to high quality would only cost just under double. when i finish editing the poster so it doesnt have draw on knobs and switches but instead a + or a dot to drill and mount plexi glass over it i could build all my panels for around $100 without the toggle switches.

if it works out ok i may make a few sets, i have a friend that wants a f16 set made up.

im not going to worry about back lit panels. i got the poster printed with the whole cockpit layout for $30, i spoke with the guy and to print the same file inverted colour and laminated to high quality would only cost just under double. when i finish editing the poster so it doesnt have draw on knobs and switches but instead a + or a dot to drill and mount plexi glass over it i could build all my panels for around $100 without the toggle switches.

if it works out ok i may make a few sets, i have a friend that wants a f16 set made up.

Nice. That's a cheap printer! Lucky man. :)

I'm going to attempt to back light since I'll soon have access to a laser cutter/engraver.

I just converted the NATOPS layout into a CAD file and dropped it into SketchUP for clean up. Going to 3d it all then drop it down on a level plane for cutting. I have a 3d printed DDI bezel that is accurate to the real 18C so using the measurements on it to scale my SketchUP drawing.

Sage

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Here's my F/A-18E pit (FSX) which I plan to switch to DCS F/A-18C when released. But I also am getting the OR CV1 on May 25th, so that may change plans.

Is that a touch screen? Also, what is OR CV1?

Edited by Mr_Burns

Here's my F/A-18E pit (FSX) which I plan to switch to DCS F/A-18C when released. But I also am getting the OR CV1 on May 25th, so that may change plans.

That's beautiful! Nice job! We have 3-4 of us building full F/A-18C pits in our squadron for the upcoming module

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my CV1 yesterday, unfortunately I can't fly with it yet since I am building a new computer to run VR (decided to wait for the 1080 when it comes out later this month). As I wait to start flying in VR, I put together a virtual Cruise video for the Pukin' Dogs in my sim pit (FSX VRS). I expect to see a lot more of these once DCS releases the F/A-18C, which I hope to also create.

[ame]

[/ame]

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25