So just a question about Mission 11 - Scramble! [spoiler Alerts]

No matter how fast I get my APU and APU gen up and start the CGI/EDU align process, it seems there is a mission scripted mortar round that hits you if you wait the 4 full minutes to align. However, without aligning the CDU/EGI, you have no corrected gunsight... And inflight align is like a 7 minutes process, by which time Warrior is dead, the tanks have blown up most of the base, and I can no longer find the enemy troops near the hangers. Unfortunately I never found the mortars to begin with so I'm a bit lost here... Am I doing something wrong? I know this is supposed to be like "Ohhh Shit!".

Incidentally, is there any way to go back a mission in the campaign so I dont get what I assume is the worst possible ending of the scenario for my next mission [Warriro KIA, SF guys capture by I̶S̶I̶S̶ CLA, and no Wingmen due to dmg] its a bit disheartening :doh: lol

SGT USMC, KILL

Hello

I flew this yesterday, and, indeed, I had to take off at around 3 minutes. ( after getting blown to smithereens like 5 times, moving only does not seem to work.)

You have to deal with partially working systems, but you see where rounds land anyway.

And mortars are indeed difficult to find ( i used labels after a while...)

Good luck

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

Hey!

Yes, this is intentional - if it is a scramble, you are expected to take off ASAP and do either inflight alignment or just work without all the systems. You can also complete the alignment to 3.0 and then you should get the gun sight working.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can go back one mission... you can always replay the scenario as a separate mission though.

To find the mortars, fly West from the airport, you should be able to spot the smoke from mortars fire and if you are close, you will hear the audio comms.

If you really can't find them, then after they run out of ammo, they will start evacuating in trucks and you can get them then.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

So just a question about Mission 11 - Scramble! [spoiler Alerts]

No matter how fast I get my APU and APU gen up and start the CGI/EDU align process, it seems there is a mission scripted mortar round that hits you if you wait the 4 full minutes to align. However, without aligning the CDU/EGI, you have no corrected gunsight... And inflight align is like a 7 minutes process, by which time Warrior is dead, the tanks have blown up most of the base, and I can no longer find the enemy troops near the hangers. Unfortunately I never found the mortars to begin with so I'm a bit lost here... Am I doing something wrong? I know this is supposed to be like "Ohhh Shit!".

Incidentally, is there any way to go back a mission in the campaign so I dont get what I assume is the worst possible ending of the scenario for my next mission [Warriro KIA, SF guys capture by I̶S̶I̶S̶ CLA, and no Wingmen due to dmg] its a bit disheartening :doh: lol

For the last part. It doesn't matter, no dynamic campaign in DCS :)

When I did this mission I just took off from the parking and made CDU alignment in flight while looking for the mortar (well hidden :O )

Gun sight is not really important for mortar, it's better to make a pure strafe run with dispersion to get all of them in one or two pass.

I got aligned enough though for the next part of the mission to get an pretty accurate gun sight :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah I posted about this a while back. I tried like 6 or 7 times (it feels like) where I'd roll about 10 feet and then take a direct it.

Eventually, I just decided to light the fires and get moving. I did some (interesting) no-gun-sight gun runs and managed to kill a few things. The campaign proceeded so I assumed I did well enough.

I do remember that at some point I took a pretty big hit from something, The ATC voiceover tells you to divert to some other airfield since there's a smoking crater and burning A-10 in the middle of the runway. I decided "to hell with that" and put it down on her belly and managed to slide right past the wreckage. I was anxiously hovering over CTRL-E with one hand the whole time haha.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

For me, spray and pray. Just litter the area with rounds and get lucky?

I actually think I started my run in, fire off a short burst, looked for the impact and then adjusted the target in relation to visible HUD items to get closer hits.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

I actually think I started my run in, fire off a short burst, looked for the impact and then adjusted the target in relation to visible HUD items to get closer hits.

Jup, it's what I did in that situation as well.

AFAIK in real life, in-flight alignment requires several minutes of straight and steady flight, however in DCS you can fly the wildest maneuvers imaginable and still get alignment after a few minutes, so I'd also opt for in-flight alignment.

Also, like BD said, ground-alignment doesn't need to go all the way through to 4.0 0.8; quite a bit before that EGI will become available and the gun sight along with it. Which, if you start alignment quickly, should be ample time to get the gun sight ready and take off as instructed. :thumbup:

So I just completed this mission respectably. Got a lower score somehow than the previous attempt (55 and 60 respectively) even though I scored 16 kills including the MANPADS this go around. The trick is to start your in-flight align on the runway as soon as you get your CDU up. I think IRL the in flight align just needs steady flight for the heading and attitude alignment, which takes about 30 seconds to a minute, and then the remaining 5 mins you can maneuver (don't quote me on that I just did some googling around). So once I got into the air, I did a spray pass on the mortars and got nothing, but by my second go around I had my gunsight up and nailed the bastards. :gun_rifle:

I still couldn't save warrior though, that dude gets blown up in like less than 10 seconds. I was set up for a gun run and on my inbound he died after calling he was under fire about 10-15 seconds earlier. Ohhh well, too bad for him thats how it goes sometimes...

Also, like BD said, ground-alignment doesn't need to go all the way through to 4.0 0.8; quite a bit before that EGI will become available and the gun sight along with it. Which, if you start alignment quickly, should be ample time to get the gun sight ready and take off as instructed.

Well, IDK if it's because Im launching through DCS world, but when I don't wait for 4.0 0.8 on ground align, my EAC switch won't arm, and I can't get a corrected gunsight without it apparently

Edited by DarthXavius

SGT USMC, KILL

I still couldn't save warrior though, that dude gets blown up in like less than 10 seconds. I was set up for a gun run and on my inbound he died after calling he was under fire about 10-15 seconds earlier. Ohhh well, too bad for him thats how it goes sometimes...

Some behind-the-scenes info regarding that:

In an earlier version of the campaign, Warrior could be saved, and the campaign would branch depending on whether they made it or got destroyed. During development, Baltic Dragon decided that all players should always play all missions, so don't blame yourself when you can't save warrior - noone could have done it (then again you get to rescue the captured guys in a later mission) ;)

Well, IDK if it's because Im launching through DCS world, but when I don't wait for 4.0 0.8 on ground align, my EAC switch won't arm, and I can't get a corrected gunsight without it apparently

Yeah, sorry, I should have said EAC instead of EGI in my previous post. Maybe something changed with a recent patch, but last I tried, when I set the CDU to Nav (from the Nav / Align sub-page), the EAC will arm without a problem. I'm just not sure about the mimimum alignment for this to work.

• 1 month later...

How did you all deal with the Igla in the area? I just managed to complete the mission succesfully, but got hit multiple times losing pretty much every system. I ALT-F4ed though since I really want to have another go.

Also, ground alignment is doable, provided you immediately spool the APU at the mission start and start the EGI alignment as soon as it's online.

How did you all deal with the Igla in the area?

Spamming flares like crazy. ;)

When I expect MANPADs, I always preselect program C, and when I get a missile launch indication out of the blue (no prior RWR indications), I immediately start dispensing and go evasive. In this mission I typically manage to evade all 3 missiles until the shooter has to reload and make damn sure he doesn't get to finish that. ;)

My impression is that the countermeasures auto mode doesn't work too well, so I always leave it at manual. I also believe the system is pretty far off in regards to the real thing, so I'd say whatever works in DCS is okay, regardless if it's realistic or not.

(And I think spamming flares is realistic - better to evade a missile that's coming at you right now than to save some flares for someone that might shoot you later on :smartass:)

• 11 months later...
Some behind-the-scenes info regarding that:

In an earlier version of the campaign, Warrior could be saved, and the campaign would branch depending on whether they made it or got destroyed. During development, Baltic Dragon decided that all players should always play all missions, so don't blame yourself when you can't save warrior - noone could have done it (then again you get to rescue the captured guys in a later mission) ;)

And here I was, replaying the mission over and over again, trying to save Warrior! After finally giving up I checked up on here, and lo and behold! :doh:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

LOL :) sorry about that :) In the beginning I had an idea to branch the campaign in some places, as Yurgon says, but then I decided to let players play all 21 missions instead of 19 :)

Yeah, I played it back before it was DLC, I think it was still set up that way at that time.

Great campaign!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 1 year later...

Hm, from the top of my head it might be the other way around (so SHOULD be 10-160) :) in which case you found a bug! But...

I wouldn't worry too much about that, just look for the tracers and fight. And don't worry at all if you don't save Warrior, as that leads to the next mission :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png