Leap Motion Compatible with DCS?

I have been using leapmotion in FSX\P3D with FlyInside for some time it really is awesome. Some way to go before its the real deal but you are probably talking a few months rather than years its more than usable it picks out your hands with no problem and every slight movement that those digits make. most features in FSX P3D were developed way before any of this so they are developed without any of it in mind.

I can't even tell that its attached to the DK2 and I am using it more and more it can make life very easy in the cockpit.

That's interesting, how do you overcome the errors coming up when tracking your hand in a position that hides finger behind each other?

I regular got a pinch or fist gesture as a result, that i never did?

How do you use it in FSX just mouse mode or is their a specific tool/software?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

FlyInsideFSX which also covers P3D has the feature for FSX\P3D I can honestly say there is no issue regarding tracking your hands. It will become a game changer it needs tweaking but it is definitely getting there..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

This seems to be a rough video of how it works inside flyinside.

Can someone with experience of using it for real confirm this is how the functionality is enabled?

I can see this working very well with DCS, once you train your hands to work within the limitations of both the hardware and the software. Haptic feedback will bring it life, however.

Cheers,

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

it is very easy to use in FSX\P3D yes it needs a bit of practice and with some aircraft there are few issues that will be fixed but I like it the obvious problem is have no feel of the controls not that I would change the main controls such as the joystick\yoke throttle.

I know that the hand is very basic at this moment in time but I am sure this will change with time.

It would be nice to think that DCS might take up the leapmotion it is all moving forward so quickly and the same as VR if certain developers don't take it up then they will get left behind. I have not flown Battle of Stalingrad for at least 18 months but with no VR then it is not immersive enough anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

This seems to be a rough video of how it works inside flyinside.

Can someone with experience of using it for real confirm this is how the functionality is enabled?

I can see this working very well with DCS, once you train your hands to work within the limitations of both the hardware and the software. Haptic feedback will bring it life, however.

Cheers,

Smirkza

I want that in DCS

Please let us know whats you findings of it?

With no specific support like "FlyInside" that is highlighting elements/attaching fingertips to the switches, it is not precise enough.

Mouse mode is too rough... Couldn't test much, and with some training and postional adjustment of the tracker and your reach this may work better.

If ED or a skilled developer or modder could make an index finger tracking with positioning to switches elements like the mentioned Flyinside that may be different and indeed a cool addition to the VR stuff.

Still I think a combination of 2 Leap Motions combined (one in front of yoy, one attached to the VR Headset) could tremendously increase accuracy and depth perception/tracking...

Just my two cent.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

With no specific support like "FlyInside" that is highlighting elements/attaching fingertips to the switches, it is not precise enough.

Mouse mode is too rough... Couldn't test much, and with some training and postional adjustment of the tracker and your reach this may work better.

If ED or a skilled developer or modder could make an index finger tracking with positioning to switches elements like the mentioned Flyinside that may be different and indeed a cool addition to the VR stuff.

Still I think a combination of 2 Leap Motions combined (one in front of yoy, one attached to the VR Headset) could tremendously increase accuracy and depth perception/tracking...

Just my two cent.

Ok thanx for that info. I have another question it is the same as what Towsim suggested?

I think, everybody dislikes the situation if you aim with TrackIR to a specific cockpit switch and tries to catch the switch with the mouse symbol. As soon as the head is moved the mouse symbol leaves the switch position. In a stress situation it is sometimes a real fiddling.

I would suggest a mode (Leap Mode) in which the mouse symbol is locked on a position in the cockpit, independent from the head movement, as long as the physical mouse device is not moved. This would give a chance to have your virtual finger locked on a switch while you observe anything else. The normal mouse move, I call it the relative mode, could be left as it is. In Leap Mode, the mouse would be moved to absolute positions in the cockpit. Leap Mode/Relative Mode could be bound to the right mouse key as a toggle switch. Locked mode could be displayed with a different color of the mouse symbol.

Is that possible in DCS?

I think this kind of thing is what the Leap Motion is going to be best at - precision not required!

https://youtu.be/O3Jg22plfOU

I think there is a way to go before it will be flight-sim VC mature.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Flyinside has been updated with a new release yesterday. The build includes improvements to contextual gestures and better overall leap motion support.

Could someone that uses it update us on the latest version. Are we getting closer to a usable solution?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally bought one. now the prices have dropped again.

Have to say, so far I'm seriously underwhelmed. I'm just hoping it will be a lot more useful in VR - which is essentially what I got it for.

Hoping to be able to use it in Hover Junkers with my Rift, as I don't expect Touch to be around for a while yet and even if it is, if Leap does the job, it would make the deal a lot cheaper.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I got one as well and tested it with cv1 using the blocks demo. It's nowhere near accurate enough for cockpit interaction. The current look and click implementation in dcs 2.0 will be so much faster than faffing about with leap.

If they just remove the laser pointer from view when it is not over an active switch, knob or lever it will be good enough for now.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Received mine leap motion yesterday and started to seek mouse app.

Found only one to work precise enough and without lag, but it suffered bad clicking (trial at least).

The targeting works well, actually very well. But clicking makes it unnatural experience, inaccurate etc.

So I thought that what to do to fix it?

Get a another software to allow you to e!update a mouse clicks with a joystick!

So point with finger and press button in stick and problem solved!

A virtual hand is not needed, it is actually worse than current cross hair.

But what I wish, is that someone would make a mouse app/driver that is then calibrated for the display surface positions. So point finger on screen positions (corners etc) and Mark the finger position in space. And then let any button to be a mouse click etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

isn't that what a touchscreen does? ;)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

canceled order after reading this. Looked so great in FSX Flyinside

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

• 9 months later...

So I do own a Leap and it was crap with the old software but since they released the Orion drivers, I'd be quite confident that it would rock hard with native DCS support. Make the virtual hands highly transparent so they don't obstruct the cockpit buttons and you should be golden.

I have no idea how much work it would be to implement on the programming side but currently there is no emulation that would hold a candle to native support. Flicking switches in VR would be absolutely insane with DCS. I'd sell my touchscreen in a heartbeat.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 10 months later...
First steps with Leap motion driver for DCS

Great endeavor but completely pointless. Leap motion will never be accurate enough to use in dcs.

Great endeavor but completely pointless. Leap motion will never be accurate enough to use in dcs.

How waiting and seeing instead of dismissing out of hand?

When I've used the hacked leap drivers in Steam VR to mimic the controllers it seems to have decent accuracy.

Is rather someone try than not in the end

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

How waiting and seeing instead of dismissing out of hand?

When I've used the hacked leap drivers in Steam VR to mimic the controllers it seems to have decent accuracy.

Is rather someone try than not in the end

I’ve tried leap motion with other flight simulators. It’s nowhere near accurate enough for cockpit interaction. That’s why I’m dissmissing it.