Is the lag and stuttering when displaying TGP fixed?

Hoggorm

Hi,

I basically stopped flying the DCS and the A-10 months ago when an update made lots of stutter and lag once the TGP was turned on in the A-10.

Is this problem still there or is it fixed and now safe to return to DCS? :)

Thank you

• ED Team

Best way to find out is try for yourself.

Do a fresh install with no user mods.

If you have problems, post your spec and we will try to assist you.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Best way to find out is try for yourself.

Do a fresh install with no user mods.

If you have problems, post your spec and we will try to assist you.

I just tried and the TGP do not give those extreme stuttering issues I had some months ago, but the sim is stuttering quite a bit in general. I'd very much like some tips and hint on how to fix this...

This is my system specs:

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Processor Name: Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

BIOS Name: BIOS Date: 11/02/12 11:11:20 Ver: 04.06.05

Video card Name: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Video card Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Installed Memory: 8,00 GB

DirectX 12

Flat terrain shadows ON, Depth of field OFF, visibility setting decrease (the visibility has changed, so High is more like Ultra was before, I think).

Edit: Also try lowering your water settings.

Edit2: Basically, put every setting to lowest and start increasing each one bit by bit to monitor the performance hit.

Edited by EasyEB

Yes... I have everything at the lowest. The problem is that the sim runs very smooth and fine, but every few seconds there are some micro stutters lasting just a fraction of a sec...

Increasing settings do basically the same. Everything runs fine, but every few secs there is this micro stuttering...

Then I don't know. Sorry.

Try updating all drivers (even Track-IR, they released a new update that really helped with memory usage) and run MSI afterburner or some such to find out what is messing with your system. I think I heard something about some nVidia-cards doing that – micro stuttering just completely random. Google is your friend. But if that was the case you would probably have noticed it already on other games.

When your cooling is o.k. and you can monitor your hardware temperatures it should be o.k. I guess you can give it a go.

I've never performed overclocking but I've heard the results are quite notable. With good software it should not be such a difficult task. No experience though with MSI Afterburner.

good luck

Is it disc access? What kinda of RAM and video RAM do you have? Does the HD light flicker coincide with the stutters?

The only noticable stutters I get are when DCS has to load a texture or something that has just come into draw distance.

I get the odd random stutter, but they are barely perceptible and on a busy Windows system these are hardly surprising, that's just how windows rolls, there are things that it feels are far, far more important that your game that it needs to do in the background and the worst possible moment.

Is it disc access? What kinda of RAM and video RAM do you have? Does the HD light flicker coincide with the stutters?

I'm not sure what you mean here?

What is the HD light?

I have 8 GB of RAM and my Nvidia GeForce 660M has the following specifications:

GPU Engine Specs:

384 coresCUDA Cores

835 MHzGraphics Clock (MHz)

30.4Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)

Memory Specs:

2000Memory Clock

GDDR5Memory Interface

128bitMemory Interface Width

64.0Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

Feature Support:

4.5OpenGL

1.1OpenCL

PCI Express 2.0, PCI Express 3.0Bus Support

YesCertified for Windows 7

3D Vision, 3DTV Play, CUDA, DirectX 11, PhysX, SLI, TXAA, FXAA, Adaptive VSyncSupported Technologies

2-waySLI Options

12 APIDirectX

• ED Team

Your machine just meets minimum spec, so wisely you have lowered your settings.

could you take a screenshot of your ingame graphics setting and attach it here, we maybe able to suggest some tweaks.

Also worth checking windows power options for your gpu / cpu to make sure you are getting the maximum from them while flying.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

could you take a screenshot of your ingame graphics setting and attach it here, we maybe able to suggest some tweaks.

Also worth checking windows power options for your gpu / cpu to make sure you are getting the maximum from them while flying.

These are my ingame settings. Sorry for the large pictures! I do not know how to resize them just yet in Windows 10... I've lowered everything in the Nvidia control panel to off or "best performance" but do not see any difference really... I feel that the stuttering is happening when the sim is loading something, for example just before an exploition of a tank etc.

IMG_6164.JPG

IMG_6165.JPG

IMG_6166.JPG

IMG_6167.JPG

• ED Team

Res of cockpit displays, do not use every frame

use 512 or 1024

• ED Team
'Force Feedback' enabled - is that correct?

shouldn't make a difference unless you have a force feedback device connected as far as I am aware.

I've been testing a bit the last couple of days, unfortunately without much progress...

I've chosen 512 only and turned off Force feedback. As far as I can see not much improvement there. Maybe a little with 512 only.

In nVidia settings I changed Maximum pre rendered frames from 1 to 4. After starting DCS I was impressed. I could not see any lag whatsoever. I use TrackIR and it was just amazing to see how well everything was playing.

However - after a break and restart of the computer I returned the next day to find that the stuttering was back...

So that was a short time in heaven. Still it gave me hope that this can be fixed somehow...

Do you have any other suggestions that I could try in the Nvidia settings perhaps?

Thank you for all help so far.

Did you do the tests in the exact same conditions?

For instance, the exact same aircraft in the exact same part of whatever map you are flying in, with the exact same weather conditions and exact same amount of other units on the map and so on?

Did you do the tests in the exact same conditions?

Yes, absolutely. I pay close attention to such details so that different test have the same conditions. If not it can be difficult to see what effect the changes made have resulted in.

That is why I always run the first A-10C single mission - I think it is called something like Spring in Georgia - Easy - when doing these performance tests.