VR Performance in DCS World

Warthog_Farmer

Having flown some more around the map in 1.57 this evening whilst monitoring FPS I found buildings cause the biggest change in FPS in game. With high graphics settings I'm getting smooth 45 FPS +, but as soon as I either head towards, look towards or fly over buildings there's a significant drop in performance.

Whilst they look impressive, I wonder if built up areas are worth the FPS penalty when flying?? It would be great to be able to switch buildings 3D off as a VR graphics option or even change them to 2D once at a certain altitude where the 3D is lost anyway. After all, who's looking at the buildings when dodging missiles?

For now I found I can improve game play choosing locations away from them. 45 + with super sampling at 2.5,shadows on etc.

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having flown some more around the map in 1.57 this evening whilst monitoring FPS I found buildings cause the biggest change in FPS in game. With high graphics settings I'm getting smooth 45 FPS +, but as soon as I either head towards, look towards or fly over buildings there's a significant drop in performance.

Whilst they look impressive, I wonder if built up areas are worth the FPS penalty when flying?? It would be great to be able to switch buildings 3D off as a VR graphics option or even change them to 2D once at a certain altitude where the 3D is lost anyway. After all, who's looking at the buildings when dodging missiles?

For now I found I can improve game play choosing locations away from them. 45 + with super sampling at 2.5,shadows on etc.

Try turning off the shadows and see if buildings will still kill the FPS. More buildings = more shadows = less fps

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I mostly played with shadows flat and found differences in FPS but the same is true with all shadows off.

Flying around Batumi it's smooth 45 + until I look/ head towards the town when it still drops to 30.

The cockpit looks bland without shadows so best fix is to just avoid built up areas.

Edited by NAKE350

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

I suddenly got a new annoying issue the last week. When flying after about 30 sec to a minnute tracking gets really jerky or laggy. But fps counter doesnt seem to be effected. Altough it feels very laggy. Dont know how to fix it. Anybody had anything similar? Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

I suddenly got a new annoying issue the last week. When flying after about 30 sec to a minnute tracking gets really jerky or laggy. But fps counter doesnt seem to be effected. Altough it feels very laggy. Dont know how to fix it. Anybody had anything similar? Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread.

I am assuming a Rift?

If so, it is a bit of a pain but may be worth running sensor setup again. Sometimes that can help clear things up, especially if not have done it in a while.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am assuming a Rift?

If so, it is a bit of a pain but may be worth running sensor setup again. Sometimes that can help clear things up, especially if not have done it in a while.

Sorry. Just got so frustrated that I forgot to mention. Yes CV1.

Yeah sure can try it, but that doesnt ussualy effect lag/tracking in this extreme.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

Sorry. Just got so frustrated that I forgot to mention. Yes CV1.

Yeah sure can try it, but that doesnt ussualy effect lag/tracking in this extreme.

Also check your devices in the Oculus Home menu on your monitor. Sometimes a sensor can drop out without realizing it, make sure they both ( if you have two ) show good tracking with a green light.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No thats all fine. Its like I can fly for like a minute, then it starts to lag. But it doesnt show in fps counter, but very clearly stuttering when looking around and stuff. Very weird.

Hmm this is strange.

Redid sensors setup and calibration

Updated usb drivers.

Rolled back gpu drivers to known stable version with DDU and clean install.

Went back from Oculus Home Beta branch to stable.

Installed Dcs Beta to check difference with Alpha.

Checked DCS and switched settings, same with rift. Also checked OTT was good.

Still, anywhere from 30 sec to 3 or 4 minutes it will start to produce the weird "lag" or ghost image. Again, it doesnt seem to be depicted in the FPS or rendered objects or any of that stuff. I cant see it at least.

SpeedStick,

Where specifically on the map are you experiencing this?

Try putting the aircraft carrier out in the middle of the sea and spawning on it and report back.

I've come to the realization that with 1.5, there are areas of the Caucasus map that just don't perform well in VR, and this is not just cities. Since we're headed to 2.5, I don't expect ED will put their backs into 1.5 for stuff like this.

The behavior I get is similar to what you describe: Good fps (45-90) but when I bank the helicopter, the entire outside world is jerky and draggy.

The VR experience in 2.1 is a thousand times better.

On 2.1 I can overfly all but the biggest cities and it's smooth as glass. Same with the airbases (Creech/Groom/Nellis).

I really don't even want to fly 1.5 with VR anymore.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I have a couple variations that work. Lately preferring the second between the two daytime ones.

Remember these are VR specific. I float the pixel density between 1.5 and 2.0. Smooth performance gets higher weight than spiffy objects. I actually don't notice much difference in this range.

1 - Daylight#1: Low gamma, deferred shading on:

https://i.imgur.com/WN5fTUj.jpg

2 - Daylight#2: No deferred shading or shadows but higher object appearance values:

https://i.imgur.com/8Vleo1E.jpg

2 - Night VR. Shadows off, Deferred shading off since none of it matters in the dark with NVG.

https://i.imgur.com/A7UauyY.jpg

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Ive tried different modules, both in 1.5 and 2.1. Also tried different settings as I wrote before.

Someting I notice is, that it seems to reset the problem when the HMD is in standby or whatever, when you remove it. That usually last for a couple of seconds or a minute then its back again. Its very strange indeed.

Ive tried different modules, both in 1.5 and 2.1. Also tried different settings as I wrote before.

Someting I notice is, that it seems to reset the problem when the HMD is in standby or whatever, when you remove it. That usually last for a couple of seconds or a minute then its back again. Its very strange indeed.

You can open performance in Task Manager and see if you're pegging out CPU or Video.

That and check your temperature of the cpu/mem/video card.

I started having the same problem but in another game. Where you move your head left to right it ghosts and judders. I ran full fans which alleviated the issue. I had this start happening only about a week ago.

I have a couple variations that work. Lately preferring the second between the two daytime ones.

Remember these are VR specific. I float the pixel density between 1.5 and 2.0. Smooth performance gets higher weight than spiffy objects. I actually don't notice much difference in this range.

1 - Daylight#1: Low gamma, deferred shading on:

https://i.imgur.com/WN5fTUj.jpg

2 - Daylight#2: No deferred shading or shadows but higher object appearance values:

https://i.imgur.com/8Vleo1E.jpg

2 - Night VR. Shadows off, Deferred shading off since none of it matters in the dark with NVG.

https://i.imgur.com/A7UauyY.jpg

thanks for taking a moment to put up the screenshots <3

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179