Forest Ground Shading

Hello,

I need the help of a modder.

As you may know, have all forests a slight darker ground texture right under the trees. This texture shall make the forest thicker. At least optical - you have a dark forest, but less opjects to manage.

The file name of it is "r_for_t.tga.dds" and you can find it in all season texture zip-archives.

The texture looks a bit transparent, but it isn't. The opacity of this file must be managed by any config-file, because this file has not transparency in it.

I need to know, what config file or script line do I have to change, to raise this textures opacity.

Heres a pic. I marked the texture that I mean, to avoid missunderstanding.

picture.php?albumid=1193&pictureid=7910

Thx for help.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I'll chime in, Hi!

I'm running no shadows on trees (original author - DTAC), but the EDM files may shed some light on where to find alpha.

I linked the .zip with Tree files. Tree EDM's have been modified for no shadows.

Hope this helps.

Spoiler

System Specs: MB - MSI ACEX570S, AMD 5950X, 64GB 3600 NEO RAM, 3090 TI 24GB

__

A-10C2 Wisconsin 176th (TFS) 128th (TFW) - Repaint

I'll chime in, Hi!

I'm running no shadows on trees (original author - DTAC), but the EDM files may shed some light on where to find alpha.

I linked the .zip with Tree files. Tree EDM's have been modified for no shadows.

Hope this helps.

Alright I will look it up. But I think thats something different. These Shadows are effects. I care about a texture.

Btw, I don't agree. I tried the no tree shadow mod an it has almost no effect on fps. But that might depend on the GPU.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I think is more of a blending with the other noise1 texture than a transparency. Like when you set the blending for MountainNoise texture and you have numbers for altitude.

Also, editing Mip SubTextures independently might give some good results. You could alter contrast and even content.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

This is actually a bug (and reported while back), you'll need to wait till ED fixes it (hopefully with Caucasus update estimated later this year)

I dont understand. Where is the bug in this case?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I assume it this effect that causes some of us to have light patches of forests when using Bartheks summer textures? Fingers crossed an answer is found.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

The forest base textures can be altered at shader level, you'll have to make an edit to Subforest31.fx in Bazar\shaders\terrain\shaders31 folder then give the transparency a negative value (edit in Notepad++)

line 75: data.fAlpha = min(opacityColor.a, diffuseColor.a) - 0.5;

Note that I've used the - 0.5 in bold only as an example value, you'll have to lower or raise the amount to get the desired level of opacity that you want.

In my mod package I've been adjusting this file so i can get a much darker level for the forest bases, this helps with the distance blending as the trees stop rendering

line 68: data.vDiffuse = diffuseColor.rgb - 0.08;

DieB2WN.jpg

Edited by Mustang

The forest base textures can be altered at shader level, you'll have to make an edit to Subforest31.fx in Bazar\shaders\terrain\shaders31 folder then give the transparency a negative value (edit in Notepad++)

line 75: data.fAlpha = min(opacityColor.a, diffuseColor.a) - 0.5;

Note that I've used the - 0.5 in bold only as an example value, you'll have to lower or raise the amount to get the desired level of opacity that you want.

In my mod package I've been adjusting this file so i can get a much darker level for the forest bases, this helps with the distance blending as the trees stop rendering

line 68: data.vDiffuse = diffuseColor.rgb - 0.08;

DieB2WN.jpg

Awesome!

Maybe I understood something wrong, but shouldn't a negative value lower the opacity? I inserte a positive value and now it works to me. Thank you very much.

Thats what I am about to do.

I try to make a sub forest texture, with single trees in it. That way I hope to make the forest look a bit more natural and detailed.

picture.php?albumid=1193&pictureid=7915

Doesnt look good yet. But maybe I can handle that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since we are around this subject...

How can be altered the distance where the 3D forest is not rendered anymore? Thank you.

I pointed at the line of disappearance that moves as you zoom in or close in... in these two pictures:

6uVGVuh.png

kpDiQkm.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

How can be altered the distance where the 3D forest is not rendered anymore? Thank you.

I pointed at the line of disappearance that moves as you zoom in or close in... in these two pictures:

Set up the rendering distance of 3D-models could mess up the performace. To avoid this ugly perimeter you can do the following.

In \Config\terrain you will find config-files, called low, medium, high, ultra and extrem. Choose the file which related to your ingame distance setting and open it. Inside the file is a line subforest = {..., ...};

Raise these values to raise the renderdistance of the subforest texture. With a good subforest texture the hard transition almost disappears.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just increase the ["treesVisibility"] parameter in options.lua to the maximum my machine can handle (around 30000) that usually deals with that problem.

Thanks for the answers!

I can't seem to find correct numbers for line 26 in Extreme.lua:

subforest = {100, 100000}; --20000 si 60000

shouldn't first number say when the blending with r_for_t file begin and second when it ends? In my example above should start at 100 meters and stop at 100 km? Or I understood wrong how the numbers work?

Also... what numbers work best with usual R_for_t files (default/barthek) in the lines 68 and 75 from the shader file Mustang pointed?

Because I tweaked both ends... it seems my r_for_t exture is not showing at all. The trees I can make hold in 3D fo 50km by Options.lua file which is cool. I will test in multiplayer how it fairs :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]