What Should be the Next Helicopter?

Bearfoot

What Should be the Next Helicopter?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What Should be the Next Helicopter?

• OH-6 Cayuse (any variant)
    • CH-47 Chinook (any variant)
    • AH-1 Cobra (any variant)
    • CH-53 Sea Stallion (any variant)
    • Mil Mi-24 (any variant)
    • Westland Lynx (any variant)
    • SA 330 Puma (any variant)
    • AS365 Dauphin (any variant, incl. AS565 Panther)
    • Alouette III (any variant)
    • Westland Wessex (any variant)

We have the Huey, Magnificent 8, the Black Shark, and soon, the Gazelle.

But we want MOAAAR!

What should the next one be?

EDIT: As has been pointed out, there is the Bo-105. But we want event MOOOOOOAR.

EDIT 2: In the poll choices, I have deliberately excluded helicopters for which information/data may still be too restricted or limited availability for the full high-fidelity simulation that we all want. So, unfortunately, no AH-64's of any kind, Eurocopters, Mi-28's, Black Hawk's of any kind, etc. etc.

Edited by Bearfoot
  • Like 1

Agusta A129 "Mangusta" maybe?

First European attack chopper, so kind of a significant milestone, although not quite as successful as they hoped (AH-64 Apache was more successful) ;-)

Or maybe an AH-1 Super Cobra?

To be fair, I will probably buy *any* chopper that will become available as a DCS module, no matter which. :-)

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

Agusta A129 "Mangusta" maybe?

First European attack chopper, so kind of a significant milestone, although not quite as successful as they hoped (AH-64 Apache was more successful) ;-)

Or maybe an AH-1 Super Cobra?

To be fair, I will probably buy *any* chopper that will become available as a DCS module, no matter which. :-)

A western heavy attack helicopter of any kind would be really nice, to balance out the Ka-50. But I think it would have to be one that is old enough (and maybe not in active service or close to retirement) to allow for public access to data. Is there any that fits the bill apart from the (non-Super) Cobra?

Edited by Bearfoot

A western attack helicopter of any kind would be really nice, to balance out the Ka-50. But I think it would have to be one that is old enough (and maybe not in active service or close to retirement) to allow for public access to data. Is there any that fits the bill apart from the (non-Super) Cobra?

Good point. Seems there is some stuff available in the wild about the A129. Found flight manuals, maintenance manuals and some other bits and pieces. How good they are and if anybody could build a DCS model from them, absolutely no idea!

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

Good point. Seems there is some stuff available in the wild about the A129. Found flight manuals, maintenance manuals and some other bits and pieces. How good they are and if anybody could build a DCS model from them, absolutely no idea!

I think flight and maintenance manuals are a good start, but unfortunately, I too, do not know what other information is required. I imagine another criteria would be adoption by multiple other countries just so that sufficient information and experience is widespread and available?

There is SO MUCH to do currently with everything available and projected, I'd just as soon put an end to these "What should be the next ____________" polls and threads. :-)

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

There is SO MUCH to do currently with everything available and projected, I'd just as soon put an end to these "What should be the next ____________" polls and threads. :-)

And I'd just as soon know what people would like the next helicopter to be! ;)

:thumbup: absolutly

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs: CPU: i7-9700K@ 5.0 GHz | RAM: 32 GB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | CH Products Pro Pedals |HP REverb

I'd like a Sea Stallion, or a Sea Knight, or a Sea King, or a Sea Sprite. Any of the Russian choppers would be good too.

A UH-2A in HC-7 Big Mothers livery from the USS Preble detachment would be great. That was the helicopter that Clyde Lassen flew for his Medal of Honor mission. A friend of mine was the door gunner on that mission and was awarded the Silver Star.

It would make an excellent module for operating on Arleigh Burke class destroyers.

But truthfully, I'll buy any and all helicopters for DCS immediately when they become available. It doesn't matter what they are, I'll take 'em.

I have difficulties to choose between AH-1W and Mi-24P that are in the pipeline to come.

As Mi-24P is great for single pilots as pilot can fire 30mm cannon + rockets, while co-pilot task is to scout, navigate and fire ATGM.

But then with AH-1W it becomes different as pilot mainly can use just the rockets, and gunner takes care of the rest.

Sure we have need for a western attack helicopter, as Gazelle and Bo are more of a "multi-purpose utility helicopter" or simply "AT-helicopter".

AH-1W would be nice counter for KA-50, but I just feel that KA-50 is unfinished to 80% state and so on doesn't really have much to go against AH-1W or Mi-24P.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

EDIT 2: In the poll choices, I have deliberately excluded helicopters for which information/data may still be too restricted or limited availability for the full high-fidelity simulation that we all want. So, unfortunately, no AH-64's of any kind, Eurocopters, Mi-28's, Black Hawk's of any kind, etc. etc.

What makes you believe the Chinook, Puma or AH-1 are any different than the Apache, Blackhawk or Mi-24? All three are currently in use by numerous countries.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

And I'd just as soon know what people would like the next helicopter to be! ;)

No...you'd just as soon know what people would like the next helicopter to be...that's on YOUR list. :pilotfly:

I'd like to see Helicopters that do 2 things...

A.) compliment what's already available.

B.) belong in a combat simulator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

No...you'd just as soon know what people would like the next helicopter to be...that's on YOUR list. :pilotfly:

And MY list was conditioned on my best (not-very-well-informed) assessment of what would be possible. My criteria was that some of those aircraft are still flying in newer variants, but original variants are all retired, and older variants are different enough from current active ones so as not result in information/data embargos compromising the older variant simulation. So, for example, the CH-47 has been flying for approximately the same time as the UH-1H to make it seem to me a pretty viable simulation target. But, it seemed to me, the OH-58, AH-64, and UH-60 are much newer, so even though variants of these are still flying side-by-side variants of the CH-47 today, I did not think they would be able to be simulated as well. I could be wrong. But hey, it's just a silly poll.

Sorry that it offended you, and sorry if some particular helicopter that you wanted was not on the list.

and what about oh-58?

That would be really neat. Read "Pale Horse" by Jimmy Blackmon to see how effective they are in modern COIN. But I excluded it because I thought the ASM, at least, for that would be very difficult to get sufficient info to do right, even though I imagine FM data would be readily available through civilian proxies. And I figure if you remove the sensors for an OH-58, you get a ... Cayuse!