Will DCS support the VR optimization of the 10xx series?

Kirin

DCS just switched Dx11 after years of graphics engine development, and people are already demanding Dx12, as well as basically saying "yeah I will have new nvidia card so to hell with AMD owners and to hell with plebes who won't go VR".

I use an Nvidia card but would never demand something like this, which is to detriment of both AMD card users and DCS developers.

Also VR isn't yet be all end all. There are many, like me, who do not plan switching VR anytime soon. While I am all for any VR optimization for EDs and VR users benefit, not so much so when said "optimization" could be to detriment of non VR or non brand specific GPU users.

ps, AMD was critical in DX12 development, and while nVidia has a tech Demo for their GameWorks VR featureset,

AMD has their own version of VR Optimizing Technology, in use already by both HTC and Oculus.

Like SkateZilla said it is more Nvidia trying to close gap to stay in the game with DX12 technology which is based on AMD technology BTW. AMD is already there. Problem is games which is not optimized for DX12 to use such technology.

DCS on DX12, not in next 2 years.

DX12 is Based on AMD's proposed strategy of removing the Software/API Layer and sending commands directly to the GPU.

Not their Technology.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So the big question SkateZ - Do you think there will be enough of a boast in performance using a 1080 over a 970 or 980ti for the occulus just with the hardware improvements they are making?

I know it's all guesswork at the moment but would appreciate your thoughts given your knowledge and expertise.

Cheers

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

The Performance is there, Coming from 1x 8-Pin Power Connector..

Not to even mention the reported Overclockability.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I'm thinking the extra VRAM will certainly help as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

HTC Vive running a GTX 980 but it spends most of the time at about 66% usage with all setting turned to low. If I turn it up above low I get too much judder and the card stays at 66%.

I dont think until DCS is coded for DX12 as explained by Skatezilla the graphics is limited by DX11.

Would love to know if ED plan to switch to DX12 any time soon.

Having used a DK2 for a couple of years tho, what we have now is light years ahead of where we were. Flying close formation and tanking is now almost as easy as real life, almost!!!!!

Trying to read the comms has got to be fixed tho?

Edited by WindyTX
English

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

The only real answer to the whole 1080 thing is to wait and see.

Personally, I am always reluctant to go with unproven designs - they sometimes just fall by the wayside, and if they do, it's been a very expensive punt.

As with VR itself, it is probably best to wait and see what happens over the next few months before taking the plunge.

Having just splashed out on a 6700 upgrade, my wallet will be staying shut until solid reliable reviews of the 1080 cards start to appear, and with the right kind of performance improvements to justify the big bucks they're bound to command.

The only real answer to the whole 1080 thing is to wait and see.

Personally, I am always reluctant to go with unproven designs - they sometimes just fall by the wayside, and if they do, it's been a very expensive punt.

As with VR itself, it is probably best to wait and see what happens over the next few months before taking the plunge.

Having just splashed out on a 6700 upgrade, my wallet will be staying shut until solid reliable reviews of the 1080 cards start to appear, and with the right kind of performance improvements to justify the big bucks they're bound to command.

1080 looks very very good!

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-gtx-1080/

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/geforce-gtx-1080

Basic performance improvement are good, but by far the most important aspect of these new cards is the VR hardware included that allows for multi projection on a single pass, which would blow away the 980Ti. But it still remains to be seen how that feature will be restricted. The fact that the card has special hardware for that feature,, it should be possible to exploited that hardware with software other than DX12/NVGameWorks.

• 1 month later...

GameworksVR 1000x series GPU features

Would be great to see the new hardware VR features at some point. DCS 1.5 suffers from judder even on a 1070 @ 2035mhz with AA disabled (on some missions around airbase).

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/vr/technology

DCS 2 has better performance.

Nevertheless... would still be nice to have that boost from VR hardware specific features.

Steamvr

Actually it's just occurred to me.. is this something steamvr needs to support? If so then it's doomed. Or can it be implemented in DCS and still work via steamvr?

:)

What material benefits will this new card offer specifically for VR fans who enjoy DCS? Without specs and comparison tests directly with DCS it's difficult to ascertain (and an exercise in speculation at best) what benefits it will offer over a GTX980ti to make it worth the money - and the wait - for use with DCS/VR.

I consider passmark to be the great equalizer when it comes to hardware. Right now the 980ti is the top of the heap, and unless someone is coming from an older gen card AND the new one trounces the #1, I'm wondering where the value proposition is other than DX12. And since DCS doesn't use DX12, what's the win?

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

(NB: My EVGA card scored 11402 passmarks running the 364.72 drivers)

1000 series contains some important VR features. Multi-projection means much more efficient VR rendering with much lower overhead.

1000 series contains some important VR features. Multi-projection means much more efficient VR rendering with much lower overhead.

Not... Gonna.... Happen...