Vive or CV1 - Decision time after using both

hansangb

Quick question, can you see text or radio messages while using the rift in game?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yes you can. But you do have to look up into the corner. And the fonts can be harder to read. However, there are mods that make the fonts bigger, so I'm told that can help.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Very nice post! One quick question:

Can you connect both Rift and Vive at the same time to your PC or do you have to disconnect one in order to use the other?

Hmm, you know what. I uninstalled one or the other, because I didn't want driver interactions to falsely slow things down (just being cautious).

Since I already boxed up the Vive, I can't readily test to see if both would work a the same time.

Having said that I don't see why not. Naturally, you'll probably have to turn one off.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Very nice post! One quick question:

Can you connect both Rift and Vive at the same time to your PC or do you have to disconnect one in order to use the other?

You can indeed have them both connected at the same time.

If the game is well written enough you can even have multiplayer games with yourself! :)

As others have said when games don't support you choosing what device to use it can be an issue.

Luckily DCS seems to prefer the Rift over the Vive so that's no real issue.

Additionally all Vive games will favour the Vive over the Rift so that's not really an issue either.

So yeah, saying that, I've never actually had to unplug either device apart from using one application called Big Screen - but that might be fixed now that it officially supports the Vive. Not tried it in a while...

:)

CV1vsVive.thumb.jpg.afcc7e7c62b51af6c9b485c754af3758.jpg

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

• 6 months later...

I find the Rift very good and happy i chose it over the Vive. I have a buddy who has the Vive and has the same problems and complaints about the vive. i wish everybody was at the same level. Hopefully ED gets the Vive up to same level the Rift is, also should mention hopefully steam continues to enhance it.

My recommendation to anybody is if your just a dcs guy or gal get the Rift it is currently much better experience. If you want a huge VR Deck then Vive is the one. My opinion.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

The vive isnt that bad anymore compared to rift...few month ago the gap was huge, but its way better now! Since they added the vive version of asm, asynchrone reprojection, i can play with the same settings as the rift users...

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

• 2 months later...

Update?

The vive isnt that bad anymore compared to rift...few month ago the gap was huge, but its way better now! Since they added the vive version of asm, asynchrone reprojection, i can play with the same settings as the rift users...

Hey I was looking to get a Vive but now ive been reading lots of reviews and such and now I'm not so sure but from this post you said its much better and i was wondering is it even better now? and how are the graphics I saw people say reading in the vive is worse but yet they have very similar hardware specs which seems odd for such a difference. Also can you use the vive on DCS Stand alone or must I use the steam version? and Thanks ! :):D

Edit : Can you adjust pixel density? and overall how is the vive visually and performance wise?

This thread started when the vive experience was really bad...but as I said before its not anymore like that! From what I can tell the visual experience in dcs is almost the same in vive and rift judging on the threads here and the settings everybody uses at this point...

The main disadvantages where the missing spacewarp and pd slider...but since you have asynchrone reprojection and a working pixel density option, the experience in the vive is really great! Though the rift is still more comfortable...

Yes you can turn up pd, I use 1.4 atm. And no need for the steam version...afaik you don't even need steam vr runnin...

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

I have both, the Rift is still significantly better for DCS. Plus the Rift is now $200 cheaper makes it a no brainer choice to me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I have no allegiance to Vive or Rift. I just wanted the best VR experience. While I would agree that Vive's feature as implemented by DCS is mostly on par, I don't think it would fix visual clarity.

So when you sit still and look at the cockpit, with nothing else going on (so no Async Time Warp or ASW kicking in), Rift was clearer for me. Was it SIGNIFICANT? No it, wasn't. But I could tell the difference.

So if room scale using laser and the amazing hand controller tracking that comes with Vive is important to you, get it. I don't remember if the slimmer cable to the HMD is standard or not, but make sure it is. Because the original three-cable cable for the HMD on Vive was quite annoying.

One other thing, I like the built-in headphones that come with Rift. It supports 3D sound as well for software to take advantage of it. It's quite convenient to use the built in headphones. I think with Vive, you need to get the Deluxe headmount to take advantage of it.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Alright thanks for the input! Also one more question how about the tracking? Like whish is more accurate? Or does the rift have a good 360 tracking like I could turn my head all the way around and it's still tracking movements etc

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They have excellent tracking. But Vive has the technological edge given that it's using lasers and you get two trackers by default. With Rift, you have to buy the additional tracker (or maybe it comes with the Touch).

But Rift and Vive are *MILES* better than TrackIR - if you've used that. It's not even close.

I'm sure you can benchmark some difference, but for DCS, I don't know that you can go wrong with either tracking method.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks so much! And one final question sorry I've been trying to find these things but in vr like Irl are things larger to the eye ie when I see something far away it seems much larger than on Camera

in vr like Irl are things larger to the eye

It simply looks like you're there. Imagine sitting in the cockpit, you look at the cockpit. You look out the window at the buildings and the scenery. That's literally what it's like. The world is a bit pixellated, things are a bit blurry maybe, and the "graphics of reality" are a bit lower fidelity than real life, but you're just there. You're sitting in the cockpit. Look around. You're there.

Thank you but I understand it's "there" but moreover im trying to say does it look like it's life like size, spacing, distance etc what I was saying earlier is that when I've seen some f 16 fly by my house I see its size I take a photo and it's tiny on the screen so that's what I'm asking do things look like if there were from my eyes or from a camera

I see its size I take a photo and it's tiny on the screen so that's what I'm asking do things look like if there were from my eyes or from a camera

Hehe you just need a better zoom lens on your camera :smilewink:

If everything is adjusted and configured properly (interpupillary distance settings in the headset, proper maths in the rendering game engine, 3D models scaled correctly etc), it *literally* is like you're there. If you're there in real life, does the F16 look small? No, it looks exactly how big it is. The scale of objects, the distance they appear, they way you see them... it's not like a photo in front of your face... you are just seeing the virtual game world as reality.

The world is a bit pixellated, things are a bit blurry maybe, and the "graphics of reality" are a bit lower fidelity than real life, but you're just there.

"A bit".

Imagine sitting in a not so very clean breathing mask with with your wife stockings pulled on top of it.

Yes, the scale is real, the perception of depth and 3D feels real. Head tracking is very good with either device and it's 1:1 tracking, not amplified movement like with Track IR. In general it's easier to fly and feel the aircraft, precision flying, refuelling and landings are much easier in the VR. The instruments are mostly readable (barely), targets outside are either a smal blurry dot or big blurry dot, unless you get very close.

Motion sickness depends on a person, some are more susceptible than others. Usually it's a bit disorienting at first but you quickly get used to it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

They have excellent tracking. But Vive has the technological edge given that it's using lasers and you get two trackers by default. With Rift, you have to buy the additional tracker (or maybe it comes with the Touch).

But Rift and Vive are *MILES* better than TrackIR - if you've used that. It's not even close.

I'm sure you can benchmark some difference, but for DCS, I don't know that you can go wrong with either tracking method.

One big difference between the 2 regarding the trackers/lighthouses is the Vive does not use USB's. You can put em on a shelf and you just plug them in the wall. You can move em around to change room scale size easily. Rift, everything in the setup requires a USB port. Cables all have to go to PC/Hub. I own both and only use the Vive for room scale stuff, social use.

"A bit".

Imagine sitting in a not so very clean breathing mask with with your wife stockings pulled on top of it.

Now THAT is, wait for it..... a bit, extreme. My pic ain't that bad. Needs to be better sure. It will. Soon. :thumbup:

One other big difference is the price now that Oculus has dropped the price on the Rift substantially.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

One thing though is how much use are you planning to get out of it before upgrading in the future?

Rift tracking method will I think definately change in the future, but as the VIVE tracking is pretty much perfect already you will probably be able to use the basestations you buy for the first gen headset, on your 2nd, or even 3rd gen headsets. Dont quote me on that though!

To be honest I only use my VIVE for DCS at the moment. Its the only really amazing game that has managed to hold my interest. If the rift is much cheaper and if DCS is all you want out of the experience go with the rift.

Personally glad I went with the VIVE though, because I do think there will be killer roomscale games eventually and think its more future proof in that sense and better technology. Vive is catching and maybe has already caught up with the rift for DCS as well, and it is probably no longer the lesser experience it was last year. I cant seriously imagine there is much in it, considering how well its running for me.

Vive also have alot more things in the pipeline such as wireless, which if you've ever tried to play VR roomscale with a wire you will know is a huge huge plus.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Yeah that's one thing I'm thinking about is possibly waiting for the LG vr headset it's teamed up with steam vr so they use the same base stations but have a much better headset in terms of ergonomics and even has a higher resolution for the screens but I'm sorta impatient and if I can't find out the release date for those I'd rather get the vive