F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

1 hour ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Do you guys have a recommendation for the pilot target switch (vsl-high/low - Pal)? 

I use one of the front index finger hats on my throttle

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

59 minutes ago, Uxi said:

I use one of the front index finger hats on my throttle

Oops, sorry, I should have been more precise.

Currently I use my shifted Trim hat, but what I'm looking for is a suitable switch for my planned left console vr setup.

Found some 4 way joystick Typ switches. They seem a little big, thus my question. 

Edited by Lt_Jaeger

May be a case of making your own mate, company called Otto make a 4 way trim switch but they're £130 each on eBay. The actual switch moves up, down and forward so it's only a 3 direction, but I'd imagine those are even harder to find. I'm gonna keep looking and if I find anything I'll let you know. May look into putting one together myself too, I'm thinking momentary tactile switches. 

*Edit* 

Just found this after a bit of searching.... You could make a top for it and it would be spot on I reckon. 

https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/5way-tactile-switch

There is also a 4 way hat switch underneath it (for me at least) similar to the analogue joysticks in an early playstation pad. 

Edited by Woody81
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 12:14 AM, AH_Solid_Snake said:

Is that a modified Virpil VFX setup for the stick? How did you replicate the shape / diameter of the control column? I assume it doesn't twist at the top of the vertical extension and still functions as a joystick?

I've only given it a repaint and used some strong tape to give it a closer amount of girth to the real thing, all other proportions are close enough for me. It does indeed still twist and is still fully functional, with the mounting thread being there all compatible sticks and be used on the column, 

1omtDqe.jpg

u8saecS.jpg

On 12/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, Lt_Jaeger said:

Do you guys have a recommendation for the pilot target switch (vsl-high/low - Pal)? 

I just used a 4-way hat salvaged from an X-55 stick, mounted on my sidewall  with an offset piece of steel strip I folded and drilled a hole at the end to fix the hat into. 

o0e8bfw.jpg

Edited by Gunslinger22
  • Like 3

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

18 hours ago, AH_Solid_Snake said:

So thats an extension that some one sells for the thrustmaster/virpil standard screw mount and cable? Do you remember where you picked it up?

No it's what I've made to give me a closer throw and size to the real Tomcat, with the springs I've added it takes 17.1kg of force to pull the stick fully aft, this isn't completely  linear so it's slightly more realistic with stick forces increasing with G loading., thought note this is still just a WRB base and not FFB. 

9sRqNY2.jpg

• Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

I started with my El Cheapo panel, based on the files @PSYKOnz thankfully provided to me. This is the testbed for the rest of the left side panel. Nowhere close to all that professional stuff here, but I anyway don't got the space for a sim pit setup, so I had to come up with something at least.

IMG_20211208_131617.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, Lt_Jaeger said:

I started with my El Cheapo panel, based on the files @PSYKOnz thankfully provided to me. This is the testbed for the rest of the left side panel. Nowhere close to all that professional stuff here, but I anyway don't got the space for a sim pit setup, so I had to come up with something at least.

IMG_20211208_131617.jpg

That looks really good. Is that a skateboard/Rollerblade wheel you have used on the end of the gear lever? I have been thinking about mine and all I could come up with was using a piece of wood turned on the lathe. 

On 12/10/2021 at 2:15 PM, Woody81 said:

That looks really good. Is that a skateboard/Rollerblade wheel you have used on the end of the gear lever? I have been thinking about mine and all I could come up with was using a piece of wood turned on the lathe. 

Thats from a little "furniture roller - swivel thing" from the local hardware store. Was browsing the store and looking for stuff and that was the first thing that came to mind. Since I had to do a lot of compromise on that panel, being able to fit it with the Warthog and the Monstertech mount, I don't care that it look different from the real thing.

I've made this panel in 10 minutes using only a black & white printer.

I simply scaled to 5.75" and printed the texturemaps from this F14 mod: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/3313661/
The photoshop file is here if you want to give it a go.

Then I glued this to 5mm foamboard. Then used a center punch to make small holes just big enough to screw in the switches.

It's surprisingly sturdy, I can toggle the switches without any wiggle room. Haven't even needed hotglue. And it's ultra lightweight, I guess I could build this whole cockpit under 10 pounds. Which makes me think I will stick with this for a while as I can easily diassemble and stow this some place.

image.pngIimage.png

Signal.jpg

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 4

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I have created 2D plans from the F14 in DCS model viewer. These provide ortographic geometry reference for measurements and angles.

The geometric detail in this model is overwhelming. I kind of undersestimated the amount of 3D modeling and printing this will require. I wish heatblur would release 3D models for the relevant cockpit parts for 3D printing.

Download the plans here

f14cockpitTop.jpgLeftDetail.jpgFrontNormalMap4.jpgNormalmap2.jpg

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, winghunter said:

I have created 2D plans from the F14 in DCS model viewer. These provide ortographic geometry reference for measurements and angles.

The geometric detail in this model is overwhelming. I kind of undersestimated the amount of 3D modeling and printing this will require. I wish heatblur would release 3D models for the relevant cockpit parts for 3D printing.

Download the plans here

They did release a 3D model of the cockpit, its one of the earliest posts in this very thread?

On 10/18/2018 at 1:02 AM, Cobra847 said:

Hey guys,

I've uploaded a few of the major front cockpit parts at the link below:

http://media.heatblur.se/F-14_B_Cockpit_Dimensions.rar

License: non-commercial, personal-use only. We encourage you to share any models you make based on these.

Hope it helps! Units are 1 unit = 1.0m

• Like 1

I have reworked the textures and geometry to exactly replicate the F14 heatblur cockpit for VR.

I'll be releasing the full plans and instructions in 1-2 weeks so everyone can build their own F14 cockpit.

Tools required: inkjet or laser printer, exacto knife, large ruler (1m or 3 feet), 5mm (3/16 inch) foamboard, hotglue

Material cost: ~ $50-$60

Build time: 4-8 hours

image.png

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, winghunter said:

everyone can build their own F14 cockpit

These are just the panels. Now add 200 wires, control board, buttons (plus those which turn off the others), switches (incl. TACAN channel and Master Test switches), covers, levers, rotaries... am I missing something? And it's only controls at this moment.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria