Handling SAM's

bunraku

Hi

Are there any good tuition videos on killing SAM's?

Also what's your own processes?

I,m thinking a column of vehicles with say 1 Tunguska for protection.

How to approach?

Which settings do you use for CM's? Auto, Semi or manual? And which Jammer settings interfere with which SAM's? SAM1 and SAM2 versus which SAM's

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Manual programm B with jammer to SAM2

SAM1 is for old SAMs

SAM2 is for new SAMs, should be told in the tutorial

1. Locate Tunguska

2.Make SPI and slew MAV over it and try to fire as far away as possible, if it isn't moving, you could use force corelate against tunguska...

The first question is do you NEED to take out the air defence? I mean really, do you? Can you employ stand off weapons against your actual target while remaining out the WEZ of any air defence protecting the target/airspace around the target? In a low threat environment can you remain above the WEZ of low level systems? And in a high threat environment can you remain in terrain masking to approach the target?

The SA-19 for example has a max range of 4 NM for its missile and 2NM for its guns. You can stay well outside of that distance. If you are fired upon by an SA-19s missile system, its very easy to evade being a SACLOS system (put it on the beam and maximise LOSR).

Your job in the A-10C is Air Interdiction and/or Close Air Support to enable friendly ground forces to compete their objectives with minimal losses. Air defence units don't prevent them doing that, but they do prevent you doing your job (either by engaging you directly, or forcing you to use time and ordnance on them.

As for countermeasures, ECM is entirely ineffective against surface threats in DCS, don't concern yourself with it; also Semi-Auto and Auto modes of the CMDS are also ineffective (the threat sorting and prioritisation logic is not correct, which can actually result in improper CM dispense), so stick with manual.

The most important thing is to maintain SA of both your location and the known/expected threat location. Plan you attack(s) with the known/expected threat in mind and don't deviate from that plan. Plan a specific number of attacks from specific directions, and execute the minimum number of attacks possible to have the desired effect on target. Each attack you perform allows the enemy to also attack you, don't give them more chances than you have to.

In SP you're pretty much limited there. In MP there is much more you can do in terms of mutual support and tactical employment.

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Basically what Eddie said.

If you have to kill the Tunguska to reach your goal:

Keep in mind that flying high is a very good tactic if you aren't forced to go low by enemy fighters or modern SAMs. Most MANPADS, IR SAMs, and guns can't hit you above ~15,000ft. We are lucky that ED still hasn't implemented gun systems that can, so you can circle up there all day.

- moving target: Maverick will work. Lock it, wait until it fires at you, shoot the Mav, evade by beaming and dropping countermeasures.

Might also be possible to hit it with a GBU-12 from 20,000ft or so if it isn't moving fast, haven't tried it though.

- standing still: Just drop a GBU-38 or GBU-12 on its head. A CBU-97 might also work fine, plus you would hit other near targets as well. But it is harder to aim it from high altitudes.

Manual programm B with jammer to SAM2

SAM1 is for old SAMs

SAM2 is for new SAMs, should be told in the tutorial

1. Locate Tunguska

2.Make SPI and slew MAV over it and try to fire as far away as possible, if it isn't moving, you could use force corelate against tunguska...

I do this, but I am finding myself and the Tunguska have similar Mav Ranges. I shoot at him and he shoots at me. Even when using the TGP first and slaving the MAV to SPI I'm not getting much range.

Force correlate won't work against a moving target though? Right?

Happy to report that Mav Ds can once again take out up to a TOR, SA-15. Mav Hs and Force Correlate isn't a good option any more since the range of the H is 3-5 miles (km?). Anyway, until not long ago, the TOR would fight back and knock down 1 or 2 Mavericks before being killed. I like to come in at ~20,000' on a little pitch down for speed, fire at max range and scoot. Stay above 17-16,000'.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Last I tried the trick against SAMs shooting Mavericks down was to just let them shoot at you first first. So you get closer and they are too busy shooting at you to shoot at your Mavs. :)

Don't know if that still works though.

Force correlate is no-go.... or let's say it _should_ be. Mavericks in the sim are much better than in real life. With force correlate you can only hit very big targets in real life.

As Eddie said, the key is to keep your situational awareness. The most dangerous sam launches are the ones you don't see. Also, your MWS has blindspots and isn't 100% foolproof. Find out where the threats are (threat hierarchy) and work out a gameplan. Markpoints help a great deal. Work your way from highest to lowest threat. Try to take them out with Mavericks from standoff range for starters.

For dealing with IR-Sams this video helped me a ton (thanks Ralfidude!).

Stick to CM program C, chop the throttles, flares out, evade. I used to get shot down by those all the time, now they rarely get me.

I am less proficient with evading radar sams still. Though I find that beaming and doing split-S type maneuvers (if I have the altitude) seems to work quite well. If I am close to the ground I try to use terrain masking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

\\\S.D. Plissken... American, Lieutenant: Special Forces Unit "Black Light". Two Purple Hearts, Leningrad and Siberia. Youngest man to be decorated by the President. Then you robbed the Federal Reserve Depository... life sentence, New York maximum security penitentary.

\\\My Specs

ASUS Maximus IX Code / i7 7700K / 32GB DDR4@3600MHz / MSI GeForce 1080Ti / Samsung M.2 960 EVO / ACER PREDATOR X34A / TM Warthog / MFG Crosswind Pedals / TIR 5

• 2 weeks later...
As Eddie said, the key is to keep your situational awareness. The most dangerous sam launches are the ones you don't see. Also, your MWS has blindspots and isn't 100% foolproof. Find out where the threats are (threat hierarchy) and work out a gameplan. Markpoints help a great deal. Work your way from highest to lowest threat. Try to take them out with Mavericks from standoff range for starters.

For dealing with IR-Sams this video helped me a ton (thanks Ralfidude!).

Stick to CM program C, chop the throttles, flares out, evade. I used to get shot down by those all the time, now they rarely get me.

I am less proficient with evading radar sams still. Though I find that beaming and doing split-S type maneuvers (if I have the altitude) seems to work quite well. If I am close to the ground I try to use terrain masking.

That video is super helpful. Thanks for linking to it.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

If you have the time you can stay at the edge of their range and easily dodge their missiles until they are out of ammo. Just put the SAM on your 3/9 line, fly straight after the launch, and after a few seconds turn 180 degrees.. Requires a bit practice, but works. Not the most realistic approach though

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

but works

I liked this part. That's a solid approach, but how can you tell how much ammo a battery has? Or do you just wait for it to stop firing? I also have trouble with Radar SAM ident. I know they have different ranges and need to be prioritized by threat level, but there are so many to try and remember.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf