Spotting targets when using Rift

sohei

Hi everyone

I'm having a hard time spotting targets when I make a guns or rockets pass when using the Rift. I've selected large units under the options menu, but with certain backgrounds (dark green, for example) I just can't make out so much as a pixel until I'm almost right on top of the target. For any target that shoots back this is a bit of a problem, naturally. Does anyone have any tips on anything I can tune in a lua file to improve visibility of targets in these circumstances? Thanks in advance.

John

A small pie is soon eaten

Yeah I've used that and it does help to some extent. But sometimes I just can't see a thing. As soon as the SPI is eliminated by the gun reticle I have no idea what I'm aiming at until within about half a mile. :(

The slew control button is also clickable. I use that for zoom. Works great.

Spotting is a problem for me too. It has made me use my wingman a lot more as he has 20/20 vision.

When I'm able to find the target with my tgp (a10), I sometimes try to locate landmarks with it directly around the target that will help me find it during the gun run.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9305 met Tapatalk

I also use the pinkie button for zoom - the fisheye perspective is a little off-putting but manageable. Target spotting is problematic with VR, even more so with air threats. In ground clutter they're much harder to spot unless up close. At range, they'll not be visible a lot closer than on a high def flat screen and almost impossible to identify. Also having 1:1 look, I can comfortably look 90 degrees each way but not much more.

For VR, I'm considering playing it as single player only at the moment and to modify labels so they only show up within a certain (close) range and only as a (red or blue) dot.

They're the limitations you have to weigh up as to whether to persevere with the current VR gen or go back to monitor. For me, the sense of being inside a cockpit currently outweighs higher visibility on a flat screen. I don't know if I could go back to a monitor for flight or racing sims.

So, not flying in a clickable cockpit yet... Don't know what I'll change once the F-18C full module drops. For right now I press in on the Warthog mic hat for Left Mouse Click, use the "forward" push of the right "ENG OPR" for Right Mouse Click and the mic hat "up" for zoom. Don't have the scroll wheel set up yet as I don't really need it.

I also just say "Center Head" with Voice Attack for numpad 5/VR center.

Lastly, I only play multiplayer co-op so I get to make the call about labels since I build the missions. :music_whistling: :smilewink:

Again, I have that set up in Voice Attack and just say "Cheat On" "Cheat Off" so I can get a quick glance at labels if I really need too.

I flew a joint co-op on Friday with the VFA-113 and Jar is a bastar.... I mean wonderful man... and makes his missions with "no labels" enforced. :glare::lol: I actually found I didn't miss them and was able to easily spot my targets. I knew where to look thanks to the mission briefing, and with the zoom it was as easy as on my HD TV I used to use. Now of course still not as easy as when I had my 4k, but we really need to stop comparing VR to anything 4k imho.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

I also have labels on HOTAS. That, along with the option to zoom and increasing pixel density has solved pretty much all my concerns with spotting.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Ha ha Sage you were one of the most lethal strikers! Don't need no labels :)

LOL. Only because I broke right and you broke left. Flying like I've got the shakes makes staying if formation rough, but comes in handy when dodging SAMS. :joystick:

OP... I saw you mentioned you had models set to large. Some missions, if they were saved in a DCS session that had model enlargement set to off or small will override your settings. Did you double check that you have "Use these settings for all missions." Checked?

Just a thought....

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

I'm finding it quite difficult to spot targets on the ground. If they are road it's not nearly as difficult... but on the grass they seem to blend in with the textures and I don't see them until I almost fly over them. Even with labels on and I know there position, trying to use the TV to get a visual is proving hard.

I've never actually tried DCS world without the Rift CV1... I do have a 4K monitor, maybe I should just test it out to see what the difference is... Maybe I'm just rubbish at spotting targets :p

Are there any settings I should increase / decrease in the graphics to make this easier?

Edited by Whoa182

You know you can change the unit size under the options, right? It does help a bit, but certainly on some backgrounds it can be very tricky to spot. The good news is that it does get easier with practice.

Try gooing 350 kts 3000 ft up, sweety, and your heart pumping away, in the real world.... here you wont see troops in high gras hiding, either...

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

I'm finding it quite difficult to spot targets on the ground. If they are road it's not nearly as difficult... but on the grass they seem to blend in with the textures and I don't see them until I almost fly over them. Even with labels on and I know there position, trying to use the TV to get a visual is proving hard.

I've never actually tried DCS world without the Rift CV1... I do have a 4K monitor, maybe I should just test it out to see what the difference is... Maybe I'm just rubbish at spotting targets :p

Are there any settings I should increase / decrease in the graphics to make this easier?

I recommend not doing that as you will then realize how much room for improvement their is for vr clarity. Recomend using starways texture DLC makes seeing TGTS alittle easier.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

• 3 weeks later...

I use the red button on the warthog throttle for zoom, Mic switch forward for left click, mic switch back for right click. I also use voice attack which works like a treat. for example when i need to rearm i just say "get weapons" and voice attack does # -> F8 -> F1

Cheers Myth

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I use the red button on the warthog throttle for zoom, Mic switch forward for left click, mic switch back for right click. I also use voice attack which works like a treat. for example when i need to rearm i just say "get weapons" and voice attack does # -> F8 -> F1

Cheers Myth

Yeah, all 'real' fighters currently in service need to be retrofitted with Voice Attack! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.