RL F-15 structural imperfections (specifically the radome)

mvsgas

I have been reading aircraft accident reports in the last couple of days, I don't know why, and on several F-15 mishaps cause by out of control conditions the mention the Radom as having "imperfections"

One example of a report mentioning the radom;

this is a direct pdf link

another example;

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/tech/2015/03/13/f15-lakenheath-crash-report-radome-cap/70265748/

Has anyone ever read or heard of more info on this or other aircraft with similar problems?

How common is this on the F-15?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I spent the day with an F-15 pilot at RIAT last year, and we talked the dangers for a while. One of his friends had had to abandon an Eagle because of this exact thing; the nose had been slightly damaged by something (he didn't know what) and that even the small difference in shape had disrupted the airflow so much at high speeds as to make the jet uncontrollable. I suppose it makes sense, since basically the entire jet has to fly through the hole made by the radome. This is purely anecdotal of course, but it does seem to be something the Eagle suffers from.

My cousin told me specificly back in the 80s that patches done on the raydome cause major issues. Ill upload the txt he sent me about it later tonight.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Imperfections like this....

images;_ylt=A9mSs2K3KIlXLj4AO6RLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0OHJpMjAzBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjIzODdfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=F%2FA-18+radome&fr=yfp-t-421&fr2=piv-web#id=2&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tonyrogers.com%2Fhumor%2Ff18crash%2FF-18%2520mid-air03.jpg&action=clickimages;_ylt=A9mSs2K3KIlXLj4AO6RLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0OHJpMjAzBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjIzODdfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=F%2FA-18+radome&fr=yfp-t-421&fr2=piv-web#id=2&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tonyrogers.com%2Fhumor%2Ff18crash%2FF-18%2520mid-air03.jpg&action=clickF-18%20mid-air03.jpg

J/K, I know it was a mid-air.

What happened? lol

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What i'm more amazed about is, how can some aircraft keep flying with half or their entire wing gone. But if there is a imperfection on the nose it crashes and burns (figure of speech). That is interesting stuff. I thought the nose only difficulty to get right is the aerodynamic shape and how it lets radar beams pass (still don't know how i solid nose like that can make the radar beams pass). So many questions.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

2 hornets kissed midair... both landed safe.

:lol: Nice that both landed safe.

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What i'm more amazed about is, how can some aircraft keep flying with half or their entire wing gone. But if there is a imperfection on the nose it crashes and burns (figure of speech). That is interesting stuff. I thought the nose only difficulty to get right is the aerodynamic shape and how it lets radar beams pass (still don't know how i solid nose like that can make the radar beams pass). So many questions.

Imperfections cause trouble only at high angle of attacks. If you look at the accident reports mvsgas posted both accidents happened when pilot made hard maneuvers ie. pulled lots of AoA and the plane spinned.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Here is that img I promised.

Back info, I had asked how hard/easy was to get the f15 to depart controled flight.

IMG_1442.thumb.PNG.d7e89bf247b7b70aec4653cbfcbad540.PNG

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Although this one has a laundry list of things that went wrong, they still had radome imperfections listed as one.

[ame]http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/ExecSum2008/F-15D_Nellis_30Jul08.pdf[/ame]

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I think the radom is mention on every F-15 accident report where the aircraft departed flight. Never as a leading cause, but mention. I did not see any mention of radom causing problems on F-16, I did not look at other aircraft.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The cause was uncommanded yaw due to essentially two things:

The pilot had spiked the AoA very high and may have already had yaw input due to blended controls, and at the same time to imperfection on the radome caused a high hinge force at a time when the aircraft is not directionally stable (ie. high AoA). This caused the yaw to increase to the point where it turned into a spin.

It's a collection of factors, but basically without the imperfection this would probably not have occured.

That's my understanding of this. In any case, they're talking about this imperfection combined with very high AoA - we're talking on the order of 40+ units (the spike was 54).

It's possible that this is reasonably unique to the F-15, but I have my doubts. For the F-16, I suspect the strict control of the AoA by the FBW masks such issues - you basically may never reach an AoA where this becomes an issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The nose is usually made of something like fibre glass or some other non-metalic material, and the radar will have little trouble passing through such materials, there may be some slight distortion of the beam, but it will be incredibly small, and during design of the radar itself it will be accounted for.

I wonder if other aircraft with large radom (Mig-25/31, Su-24, F-14, F-4, etc.) have same issues?

To whom it may concern,