Countdown Timer for R77?

GrEaSeLiTeNiN

I'm not seeing any countdown timer for the R77 in the Su27 or Mig29. Is this the way it is suppose to be? I find the Russian systems sorely lacking in this regard and also in the TWS mode.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I'm not seeing any countdown timer for the R77 in the Su27 or Mig29. Is this the way it is suppose to be? I find the Russian systems sorely lacking in this regard and also in the TWS mode.

Count to ten and unlock the enemy, it works, if is close, just launch it and escape!

I find the Russian systems sorely lacking in this regard and also in the TWS mode.

In Mother Russia, pilots not need such systems. Only western noobs need such systems :P:D

Jokes aside, its great to have systems like that, but given the way the VVS and PVO operates, its not really essential to have that I guess.

If I remember correctly the R-77 will activate its seeker head when it thinks it's 15Km from the target, with guidance to that point being provided by the launch aircraft.

Back in the day (Flanker 2.0?) I vaguely remember that the Su-27 could carry the R-77 and I don't think it had a countdown timer like the AIM-120 does in the F-15. I think I remember it being up to the pilot to guess when the missile had gone active.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

If I remember correctly the R-77 will activate its seeker head when it thinks it's 15Km from the target, with guidance to that point being provided by the launch aircraft.

If that is right, then a timer is unnecessary but it would also mean a big disadvantage when facing an enemy who has the AIM120.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Guess you gotta have to get used to the "big disadvantage" part, and work around it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

If that is right, then a timer is unnecessary but it would also mean a big disadvantage when facing an enemy who has the AIM120.

In fairness I can't remember if the missile goes dumb if the guidance radar drops lock before the missile activates its own seeker. From memory I'm tempted to say that it used to, so yes it was significantly less useful than the current AIM-120 is, but then again I have no idea if that's how the real R-77 behaves.

I doubt anyone really does know how the basic R-77 works because there's no evidence that the Russian AF actually used or even had any significant numbers of the basic R-77s in its inventory. Pure speculation, but I'd guess that the R-77s that have appeared on the Su-35s based in Syria may be the improved R-77-1. Or, the RuAF may not bother at all with the R-77 until the PAK-FA gets the K-77M with it's alleged AESA seeker head.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.