Top Half Of HUD seems to be cut off

Sharpe_95

Hi all,

So coming back to it after a while off and I am getting some really annoying issues with my HUD in the A10c (all fine in the F15).

Issue:

The HUD appears to be too 'long' and positioned in the wrong place. By this I mean I can see the information in the bottom of the HUD, but nothing at or above the horizon line.

Impact:

I cant see any HUD data above the horizon line (if level) which means I cant identify my climb angle from the HUD. Also, I cant use my guns as the gun retical is always 'above' the top of the HUD glass and thus not in sight.

I have attached some pics to show what I mean:

Pic 1: The HUD in level flight.

Pic 2: My head position relative to the 9 o clock view (seems correct).

Pic 3: Supporting evidence for pic 4, setting up for a 10 degree dive angle.

Pic 4: 10 degree dive, not the gun sight is not visible as it should be.

Happy to provide config/lua files if someone can point me in the direction of what is needed.

Testing:

This is NOT an issue with my TIR (it works fine in F15, BMS etc).

Using the shortcuts to re-position the viewing angle in game (and resetting it) is also not working.

Tried a repair - no joy.

Tried a reinstall - no joy.

Can anyone PLEASE help? :doh:

Pic1.thumb.png.b3a7d1b46c95fb4afb55c4c8c679a165.png

Pic2.thumb.png.86b4366f751efcf53719545ef670ae90.png

Pic3.thumb.png.97a893ca5d3531178ac5d312a0c1300b.png

Pic4.thumb.png.4ecd4f624f89610d00b107d67a1c84b6.png

No, don't reinstall to fix this. You simply need to reset your default snapview. You probably hit RALT+KPD0 (set default view) by accident while in a funny position.

Replace:

D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapView.lua

with

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\SnapViewsDefault.lua

Really considerate of the devs to provide that default file.. smart.

The alternative to replacing the SnapView.lua is to reset your default view manually:

• Use the views keys on the keypad to get in the view position you want
  • Hit RALT+KPD0
  • Hit F1

Is this What you tried already? Sounds like same issue youre having.

Edited by cthulhu68

Is this What you tried already? Sounds like same issue youre having.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I have attempted the fix suggested, which has left me with a different issue (that I have seen before but not been able to fix). I cant say if it fixed the initial problem as now there is a different viewing angle.

The issue now is that my 'head' position in the pit feels like it is too far forward and also tilted about 10-20 degrees down - please see supporting pics.

This issue (and the original) persists even with TIR off, so I am ruling that out as an option. Also, it seems to be an issue specific to the A10c as my other high fidelity modules (Mustang and Sabre) seem to have the correct head position.

Can anyone offer help/advice?

-Sharpe

346789738_2Pic1.thumb.png.e322b74be06e5d27c33a8b5fd80c3d04.png

1457342290_2Pic2.thumb.png.9f313aac8cf1be6b15185756e636777a.png

The HUD in the sim is accurate. In real life the pilots do in fact have to lean forward to see the entire HUD. See this photo:

cockpit_lights.jpg

Ok fair one, no argument.

That said, my friends that also fly the A10 say they can see the HUD and down to the FPM dials from their seated position. My view still does not line up with what they see.

Also, the posture of the 'pilot' (virtual) mean i have to keep messing around with TIR and/or sit uncomfortably just in order to see the jet. Surely this is not correct?

-Sharpe

The HUD is setup to be visible in the default position,

The HUD moves and scales w/ movement of viewpoint

Ie

Move Foward, it will become smaller, Move Aft it will be come bigger,

Move Up, and the top cuts off, Move Down and the Bottom Cuts Off.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I think its as fixed as its going to get. It looks very similar to my default with engine pwr gauges just visible on bottom. Is your gunsight still cutoff?

Id watch the A-10C/Bugs/View Systems forum area. Definitely others with similar issues.

Hers my default

Edited by cthulhu68

• 1 month later...
Ok fair one, no argument.

That said, my friends that also fly the A10 say they can see the HUD and down to the FPM dials from their seated position. My view still does not line up with what they see.

-Sharpe

I'm a noob so take with a grain of salt, but I think there are several issues.

1. Your view on screen will be impossible to reconcile fully with what they see, especially if your screen is 16x9. How could you expect to see both the HUD and gauges in the same FOV if your window to that view is so narrow (vertical). I think the proper view appears to be closer to the screen. Think of it like this. The pilot might be able to "see" the gauges below, but he can't read them. He has to change focus and look down to actually read them. TrackIR simulates this by having you tilt your head down a little to be able to read them. Don't worry if they're not in your immediate field of view. Another way to think of it. When driving you can technically see your gauges, speedometer. But you would be lying if you told me you could read the gauges without shifting focus down. Think of the screen (because it is narrow) as your area of focus....or you can buy a bigger screen.

2. In the images, your head appears to be higher and the angle tilted down by a significant amount. Try directly adjusting the LUA files to force the settings to what you prefer.

depends on Monitor Resolution/Aspect Ratio/FoV settings as well as Chair/Camera Position.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

depends on Monitor Resolution/Aspect Ratio/FoV settings as well as Chair/Camera Position.

Agree.

For me. I built my rig for iRacing, which has an excellent system for multi screen use and proper FOV. My screens are 21" from my face. They sit directly behind my steering wheel. The panels right above my knee IRL would be the engine gauges on the A-10. My screen IRL stops about 8" above this. Therefore, my view (what many assume is their face being pressed against the cockpit) could not include the gauges. This provides a realistic FOV. I also use TraxkIR and 3 screens. Needless to say that if my FOV is not set properly I get distortion on the side screens. With the correct FOV I see what my monitor size and position allows me to see. When I rotate my head the view stays level and straight. No warping.

When I look down, I see the ADI, HSI, etc. just as IRL if you looked down to focus on your instruments or speedometer while driving.

• 3 years later...
The seat is set too high. You have to use "seat down" in CONTROLS. It is not configured. So you have to do an assignment either keyboard flight controller or button box.

Holy necroposting batman! Did you look at the date of the post you just replied to? Lol

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.