TM WARTHOG HOTAS BROKEN!

So I started up dcs and got into an a-10 and noticed my joystick wouldn't bank left like something was jammed down in the joystick so I pulled the stick apart and noticed that the small swivel Ball where the wires runs through was completely broken in 2 pieces and was jamming the stick, also I noticed a small white plastic piece which housed a magnet was stuck to the circuit board. Any idea where this magnet came from? And I have only had this stick for a year so iam a little peeved at this cause it is an expensive stick. It worked fine the last time I used it which was 2 days ago and it has sat on my desk since then so idk how it could have been broken

It sounds like it must have been getting a heavy bump.

Normally it should not just crack like that.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

This excellent regreasing instructional video shows You what part should go where in the stick assembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOOoPdmRl8

That being said, I can't imagine how a magnet housing could fall down on the sensor PCB, since it's bolted to the gimbal housing. Unless it's been torn off somehow by broken pieces of the swivel ball. But then I can't imagine the ball or the gimbal sphere being broken without some kind of a vertical hit on a stick (maybe a wife/kid/cat/dog/whatever dropped it off the desk while You were away?), or an operator having a really, really heavy hand. Even if it was cracked a little then, putting some leverage on the device during subsequent tests might have made things worse.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The TM Warthog "gimbal" can't take twist loads. The inner "ball" will break. Mine did this when I un-screwed an extension. The magnet normally sit at the end of the part of the handle that goes through the broken ball.

Good to know.

I will be careful with that.

Luckily my extension is made with an inner seating much like the original handle screw, so it does not stick when I want to remove it.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I really appreciate the input and i did notice the stick rotated before i pulled it apart so something must have twisted it most likely when i picked it up i must have just given it the Improper twist and broke it which sucks cause i cant play DCS till i get a repair

You may have luck getting a new part from thrustmaster. Some people have been able to get them to send out the part, but some have been told they don't have them any more, it may just be if they have spares in stock at the time. Good luck, nothing worse than having an out of action joystick, I picked up a cheap second hand saitek that sits in the cupboard waiting for just such an emergency.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I contacted TM last week for a replacement gimbal and they refused to help. The only option I was given was to buy a new stick.

Luckily I already have a VKB stick (Gladiator Pro), and I can use the warthog handle on it when adapters are made available again.

I contacted TM last week for a replacement gimbal and they refused to help. The only option I was given was to buy a new stick.

Luckily I already have a VKB stick (Gladiator Pro), and I can use the warthog handle on it when adapters are made available again.

Did you ask them for the 'articulation sphere' in particular? I think they take the gimbal to mean the whole thing. As it is, they quote 28 Euros for the articulation sphere.

Did you ask them for the 'articulation sphere' in particular? I think they take the gimbal to mean the whole thing. As it is, they quote 28 Euros for the articulation sphere.

I asked for it specifically:

Good morning,

The articulating sphere has failed on my Warthog stick. How do I go about ordering a replacement?

Thank you

They aksed me to upload a video showing the play (twisting) in the stick, and then this was their response:

We thank you for your reply.

The free play in the joystick handle is most likely caused by the broken component within the articulation of the unit - sub-assembly that is not available as a replacement. Consequently the best option to permanently solve the problem would be:

- acquiring a new Hotas Warthog joystick standalone device from one of our official retailers that operate in USA.

- acquiring directly from us a new Hotas Warthog joystick cylindrical base - 213.60 euro, shipping fees included (Currently available only through our European warehouse).

We rest at your disposal for any other inquiries.

I asked for it specifically:

They aksed me to upload a video showing the play (twisting) in the stick, and then this was their response:

They quoted me 28 Euros this morning in response to my sending them an inquiry over the weekend out of curiosity. Try again, maybe? With 'articulation sphere' specifically. Maybe there's a language barrier that "articulating sphere" somehow didn't come across properly.

• 2 weeks later...
Immovabledust,

I have a Warthog base I can part with. I also have the old "gimbal" that I repaired.

PM me if interested.

Hi Goblin,

I damaged my TM Warthog joystick base trying to unscrew the MFG extension. I do not understand why it doesn't come off because I'm sure I did not apply much force screwing it on. Feels like the the aluminum of the extension has developed a solid bond with the base.

Anyway, if still have a base you can part with I would be very interested. I'm located in France.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hi Goblin,

I damaged my TM Warthog joystick base trying to unscrew the MFG extension. I do not understand why it doesn't come off because I'm surte I did not apply much force screwing it on. Feels like the the aluminum of the extension has developed a solid bond with the base.

Anyway, if still have a base you can part with I would be very interested. I'm located in France.

Try warming the extension. With a heat gun or hairdryer.

My base has gone to another fellow simmer in need, unfortunately :)

Try warming the extension. With a heat gun or hairdryer.

My base has gone to another fellow simmer in need, unfortunately :)

Thanks, but too late... the joystick has taken damage from my ineptly trying to get the extension off. I'll try to get a VKB Gladiator Pro.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Not when flying the A-10. :P

That's understood. The Gladiator Pro should be fine for WW2 fighters.

For A-10C, F-5E, KA-50 etc. I want a grip with more controls (not buttons on the base). I hope for the Warthog adapter to become available soon, so I can use the TM WH grip with the VKB base.

LeCuvier