State of the MiG-21bis

JazonXD

Okay, well. I decided to buy it! Haven't had much time to really play around with it yet, but I hope that I won't regret my choice!

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

Had her allready but she was a bit "heavy" on my old system; now, having a new system, she is really a lovely aircraft to fly!! Exercicing now take off's and landings, navigating and throwing rockets (lol).

Recommend the MIG 21 for sure!!

Best regards, Willem

sorry, but this module, is or not a beta?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

sorry, but this module, is or not a beta?

AFAIK the MiG-21bis is out of beta -

• The 1.5 DCS icon lacks the 'beta' tag of other 'early access' modules
  • It is available on Steam
  • The initial beta release date was Sept 17th 2014 (Steam Oct 2, 2014)
  • The module has recived many updates and optimisation passes since it's first release.
  • IIRC the dev's made a post, announcing it was 'out of beta'.
    We consider the MiG-21 out of Early Access or Beta, as the aircraft is feature complete. (barring some very minor points)

That said-- updates will continue, obviously.

That the module is still receiving 'updates', should be seen as a good thing (the module isn't perfect and DCS is evolving to 2.5). IMHO it shows LN acknowledge user feedback, try to fix bugs, errors, etc. rather than 'freezing' the code as finalised.

The 'only' strange thing I see, is on ED's store page, where they haven't updated the store page and still mark the module as 'Early Access' ?

Edited by Ramsay
Add link to Cobra847's post

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The 'only' strange thing I see, is on ED's store page, where they haven't updated the store page and still mark the module as 'Early Access' ?

yes! why? mistery :D

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Mmm, i think it is still beta as;

-they are still making very large changes to the FM

-the ASP and weapon selectors just don't work as they do in real life and thus can't be considered 'simulated'

-gun pods don't work

-nuke panel doesn't work

- Most IR missile not working/bugged

-Jammer pod not working

-Navigation is simplified in FC3 style

Mmm, i think it is still beta as;

-they are still making very large changes to the FM

-the ASP and weapon selectors just don't work as they do in real life and thus can't be considered 'simulated'

-gun pods don't work

-nuke panel doesn't work

- Most IR missile not working/bugged

-Jammer pod not working

-Navigation is simplified in FC3 style

You are right about almost everything but not the last point. How do you consider the navigation simplified? in FC3 you cycle through waypoints, you dont have such thing in Mig21. You have RSBN, ARC transponders and you have to calculate by yourself intercept cources, angle deviations and so on... There is absolutely no simplification what so ever.

IR missiles do work. People have described a bug where you dont get a lock tone. This has happened only very rarely for me and I think it may be due to saving custom loadouts offline then changing/loading them online. Cant prove it though as it happens so rarely, at least for me.

In all the time ive had the Mig ive never tried the nuke:dunno:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

It is not in beta and to my knowledge MiG21bis is feature complete. However, tuning and improvements are still being made (as with most modules). What Dugong wrote is quite accurate. There are still some stuff to fix, some has been fixed but break again as DCS continues to evolve. I would say that the MiG21 state is "fluid". Some patches are better, some are worse. But when it is at its best, oh my, what a great aircraft to fly! Just check the public bugtracker for the latest improvements as LN usually do not post a changelog.

Edit: IR missiles are working, but they are being tweaked to match RL performance. R-13M/1 will be updated in upcoming patch(es).

Edited by Schmidtfire

IR missiles do work. People have described a bug where you dont get a lock tone. This has happened only very rarely for me and I think it may be due to saving custom loadouts offline then changing/loading them online. Cant prove it though as it happens so rarely, at least for me.

In all the time ive had the Mig ive never tried the nuke:dunno:

The bug happens randomly. I dont use saved loadout but I do see it sometimes. After landing and rearming, or respawning, it suddenly vanishes. It's hard to reproduce it.

What? Navigation simplified? Do you even fly MiG?

It's definitely not FC3 level simplification, but there are some things in the RSBN and ADF that are not simulated or modelled incorrectly.

The bug with dead IR missiles happened to me a few times in the offline test missions I made myself, but it's just random. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I am not sure if i am right, but the drag on the MiG-21 seems over exaggerated, this could be realistic but in a 4 missile and a fuel tank loadout i can hardly break 800kpm in a straight line, that is on full mil power just before the burner. also when i am on final the airplane rocks like b*tch for example; to the left and then i ty to compensate and it starts to roll to the right as if i had 2 missiles on outer pylons. Please someone confirm if you are having similar issues or if it's my setup.

You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up. — Chuck Yeager

i am on final the airplane rocks like b*tch for example; to the left and then i ty to compensate and it starts to roll to the right as if i had 2 missiles on outer pylons. Please someone confirm if you are having similar issues or if it's my setup.

I have that rocking issue. It could be my stick i don't know

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

yeah i don't know the odds of it happening to both of us because of the stick, i am running a logitech 3d pro

You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up. — Chuck Yeager

yeah, then I am going to remove the curves and try it out, since the curves i have are at 23, very similar.

Got the same rock and roll using a VKB FBM stick with extension & no curves. Once below 400kph it starts to get pretty sporty.

Full flaps and gear down at about, or a little above, max landing weight, I usually counter the roll then before it starts to roll into the direction I have the stick I try to apply a counter, counter movement.

I need to try SAU stab mode to see if it helps

I don't know if its just me but I'm finding it a lot more difficult to land than I remember