Introducing the VKB-Sim Gunfighter

rrohde

When are you all gonna release a fighter stick? That's what I am waiting for. :)

You mean a modern jet style grip with more buttons? That's coming. According to VKB HQ, after the Gunfighter ships, grips that can be mounted onto VKB bases (Mamba, Gladiator Pro, Gunfighter), as well as the TM Warthog base (via adapter) is the next project in line. :thumbup:

BTW - grips will accommodate space sim players and DCS simmers with different grip designs.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will be able to order the VKB Gunfighter base, a VKB TM Warthog adapter, and a VKB 200mm extension (with smaller base plate) as individual items from the shop.

If you want to bundle the Base with the extension, you might as well buy the Gunfighter Pro (includes tabletop base plate, KG12 plastic grip, extension, smaller base plate), and then order the adapter on top of that.

Thanks! Looking forward to it :)

Rainer, I know I already asked, but I've got a few friends interested in picking up either the Gunfighter or the Virpil Mongoos. As is generally the case with these high-end limited-production sticks, their concern (and mine) is making a decision before the opportunity to pick one up is gone. Any update on showing us some more information on the dry clutch system? Preferably a video showing it in action with both slow/gradual and fast inputs at various levels of damping.

I requested such a video weeks ago - and Ilya just doesn't seem to get around it. Now, after the Chinese New Year's break, he's shipping out a large backlog of Gladiator and Gladiator Pros (the new Mk.IIs), and in between he's in production crunch for the Gunfighters, and designing the new VKB grips (which all of a sudden became high priority).

So, I will ping him again about it and hope he can squeeze that in somewhere... fingers crossed.

I wish I had one here, then I would do one in a heartbeat. :D

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Rainer, I know I already asked, but I've got a few friends interested in picking up either the Gunfighter or the Virpil Mongoos. As is generally the case with these high-end limited-production sticks, their concern (and mine) is making a decision before the opportunity to pick one up is gone. Any update on showing us some more information on the dry clutch system? Preferably a video showing it in action with both slow/gradual and fast inputs at various levels of damping.

Me too re: more information ... on every aspect of the similarities/differences between the two!

When you say "dry clutch", are you referring to a (new) mechanism to set the friction on the stick?

Me too re: more information ... on every aspect of the similarities/differences between the two!

When you say "dry clutch", are you referring to a (new) mechanism to set the friction on the stick?

You can read a bit on this here:

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=547

It's made from brass/steel for each axis, allowing you to adjust the friction so the stick movement feels more heavy, and with enough friction dialed in, the stick stays put as well.

And yes, it's part of the new metal gimbal for the Gunfighter.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks. A couple more sorta related questions.

My plan is to use the TMWH grip with this stick, along with the extension. Will the weight of the this grip, especially at the end of a moment arm like the 20cm extension be too much for the dry clutch?

I also recall reading somewhere that interchangeable springs are supplied which are specifically designed for the TMWH grip at the end of an extension with this base. Is this true for the Gunfighter Pro, so that movements will feel normal with the heavy grip?

You mean a modern jet style grip with more buttons? That's coming. According to VKB HQ, after the Gunfighter ships, grips that can be mounted onto VKB bases (Mamba, Gladiator Pro, Gunfighter), as well as the TM Warthog base (via adapter) is the next project in line. :thumbup:

BTW - grips will accommodate space sim players and DCS simmers with different grip designs.

Is there blog post or something about that? Quickly found only a forum thread about question for space simmers what kind controllers they like.

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?p=24779

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

... and designing the new VKB grips (which all of a sudden became high priority).

Yes, they need do this ASAP for appeal for "jet" and "kosmosimov" players, or at least - as add-hoc solution - revive Cobra M-5 grip (still in Asia Games catalog) - Star Citizen players like this grip design.

People need "tons of buttons" for map landing gear, canopy, flaps, eject, in stick top. :lol:

Yes, they need do this ASAP for appeal for "jet" and "kosmosimov" players, or at least - as add-hoc solution - revive Cobra M-5 grip (still in Asia Games catalog) - Star Citizen players like this grip design.

People need "tons of buttons" for map landing gear, canopy, flaps, eject, in stick top. :lol:

If they need a stick button for eject, they are doing it wrong. ;)

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

If they need a stick button for eject, they are doing it wrong. ;)

Naeh.... It is a good thing when you are practising challenging scenarios like Su-27S vs 4x F-15C loaded up to teeths and set at max AI skills, and all coming at you at once.

You will now and then need to eject just for fun.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Any chance of releasing a standard Gladiator with a better grip?

The KG12 grip is going to be the standard grip for the Gladiator for the foreseeable future.

There will be an upgrade kit coming that effectively turns the Gladiator into a Gladiator Pro, and then the grip choice opens up.

• Like 1

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks. A couple more sorta related questions.

My plan is to use the TMWH grip with this stick, along with the extension. Will the weight of the this grip, especially at the end of a moment arm like the 20cm extension be too much for the dry clutch?

I also recall reading somewhere that interchangeable springs are supplied which are specifically designed for the TMWH grip at the end of an extension with this base. Is this true for the Gunfighter Pro, so that movements will feel normal with the heavy grip?

VKB designed the new gimbal with extension and heavier grips in mind. My Mamba does it decently well already, but the the Gunfighter will be a lot better for that - the gimbal is more heavy duty than the Mamba's, it supports 2x springs per axis now. The dry clutch is just the icing on the cake.

Interchangeable springs, and cams (soft center, center detent) are still part of the Gunfighter series as well. The Pro merely comes with an additional extension, and an additional smaller base plate (meant for sim-pit mounting).

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

For Gladiator "vanilla" - a "entry level" stick (a bit priced for category, in true) the KG12B grip is OK.

The grip has their charm and same buttons count of T.16000M grip: 4 in both - 2 physical and 2 virtual with pinky in Gladiator, that can doubled with mode button, applicable to POV HAT too - both options not available in T.16000M, so the the "less" buttons Gladiator is "more". :)

No make sense compare Gladiator "vanilla" grip with X-5x or TmW grips, is other categories and price.

Combatstick has similar price - and more buttons on grip... if clunk gimbal and outdated electronics don't bother. :)

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

Waiting with anticipation.

Well, we'll be waiting in vein for a video from VKB HQ. I've asked again, and they said they're just too busy at the assembly line right now.

That shouldn't stop you from looking forward to the Gunfighter, though. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Well, we'll be waiting in vein for a video from VKB HQ. I've asked again, and they said they're just too busy at the assembly line right now.

That shouldn't stop you from looking forward to the Gunfighter, though. :thumbup:

Thanks for keeping us updated! I appreciate you asking them. :)

I was thinking of purchasing the Gladiator Pro Mk.II if I could put my Thrustmaster Cougar handle on it. I see an adapter is available to attach the Warthog handle, but no adapter is mentioned for the Cougar handle. Will this Warthog handle adapter work to physically attach the Cougar handle as well?

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I was thinking of purchasing the Gladiator Pro Mk.II if I could put my Thrustmaster Cougar handle on it. I see an adapter is available to attach the Warthog handle, but no adapter is mentioned for the Cougar handle. Will this Warthog handle adapter work to physically attach the Cougar handle as well?

Same adapter for both grips...

Same adapter for both grips...

Thadiun Okona, Thank you for the info. Do you have first hand experience mounting the Cougar handle using the VKB Warthog adapter? I know the grips look very similar, but this is a lot of money for me to invest if this is only hearsay. I'd like to make this a trouble free project and not have anything go wrong. :joystick:

Edited by Winston 60

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Thadiun Okona, Thank you for the info. Do you have first hand experience mounting the Cougar handle using the VKB Warthog adapter? I know the grips look very similar, but this is a lot of money for me to invest if this is only hearsay. I'd like to make this a trouble free project and not have anything go wrong. :joystick:

I have a Warthog adapter and a MKII gimbals and a Cougar grip here and could verify this if you really don't believe it, but I already know they fit. I have several Warthog grips and numerous Cougars as well and have had them all apart many times and work with these pieces across various projects, including producing mirrored left hand versions of the Warthog grip (that work with the VKB's adapter too) I'm just ramping up on.

The tailpiece on both TM sticks is the same part, and mount to the same architecture inside the grip. TM re-uses things they are set up to manufacture or already know work, so they retained identical internal structure for this region of both grips.

The VKB adapter is manufactured to fit with that interface, and both grips also have the same microJST 1.25 connector on the pcb so are electronically compatible as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. You seem to know a lot about these two Thrustmaster products. I'm now feeling better about purchasing the VKB stick and Thrustmaster adapter. I've also just received confirmation, through rrohde, that this indeed will work: "... according to VKB HQ, both the Cougar and the Warthog grip will work with the VKB adapter".

Mark your calendars!

On February 28, 2017 ordering of the VKB-Sim Gunfighter series will begin at VKBControllers.com.

This includes the Gunfighter (tabletop), the Gunfighter Pro, and the Gunfighter Base Only variants. In addition to the Gunfighter sticks, the TM Warthog Adapters for Gunfighter will be available at this time as well.

The shipping for these Gunfighter variants and adapters is still on track for a March 2017 date; specifics as to when exactly will follow in due time.

PS: EU customers, please check with your VKB EU store for ordering specifics. :)

• Like 1

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com