Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Preparing for Viggen - Single DCS stable Install: Question on swapping versions

609_Relentov

While the **Viggen Release Information (27th)** thread is huge and a lot of stuff has been slung back and forth, I did want to confirm some information I read regarding updating the stable 1.5.5 release to 1.5.6 beta, and back to 1.5.5 stable.

I currently have a shortcut that forces the 1.5.5 stable to update, however, I was not aware of the added parameter to be able to choose the trunk (e.g. currently 1.5.5 stable) or a branch (e.g. 1.5.6 beta), so this is cool and should help those who do not want to install a second instance of DCS.

I am one of those who just has one install, DCS 1.5.5 stable, and do not wish to download the beta or alpha, as I use an SSD drive that is mostly full. And, I don't want to download another instance of DCS on my hard drive, which is why I got the SSD in the first place :).

So... I currently have a short cut that forces an update, the Target value is as follows:

"E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update

If I'm reading the other thread right, if I change it to the following, it will update it to the open beta, which currently is also 1.5.5 at the moment, correct?:

"E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update @openbeta

And then if I want to go back to the stable, I can change the above (probably a different short cut) to the following, correct?:

"E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update @release

If it's as simple as that, great, as I really didn't want to have a second instance - plus all of the keyboard/joystick/throttle/rudder pedal mappings will be set (for the rest of the aircraft, etc.) and won't have to be reassigned with a second instance of DCS.

As for the other thread, a lot of the disappointment is probably ill-conceived due in a lot of cases to miss-information, or lack of information (or it's hard to find). Had I known about the relatively easy method of swapping a release version of DCS to open beta with one install via update, I wouldn't have been as concerned or disappointed about this release. There's just a lot of information in the forums, and unfortunately a lot of mud-slinging back and forth when people just may not fully understand the scope of release-related issues that come up.

Edited by 609_Relentov

As far as I am aware, yes, that is exactly it. I haven't actually tried "downgrading" back to stable myself but everything I've read says it will just work.

Thanks renhanxue, although it would be good if someone could verify that the downgrading back to stable works OK. I guess testing would be to try and connect to a stable version in MP and if there are no issues it verifies it :). Was just hoping someone else had tried that already! ;)

i dont think it'll be a real test, since beta is currently the same version as stable -- it wouldnt make a difference even if the updater "messes up" (it won't)

no reason to be so scared about this, its no different than your normal patching process, you're just giving it specific directions on what build to patch to.

That test won't really do anything. There's no difference between the current open beta and release versions. No files will be changed by "updating" to OB or reverting to release.

Good point, so the true test will be after tomorrow's open beta update where they would be different.. thus my initial question about if someone has already done this. I guess we'll see by tomorrow either way :). Thanks (just saw probad's edit, good deal, will give it a go tomorrow!)

Edited by 609_Relentov

Why don't you use the GUI updater ? I'ts really a great tool.

Introducing:

The DCS Updater GUI Utility

Note: This Utility is not Affiliated with Eagle Dynamics, and not responsible for support.

Application Goal is to Provide a GUI for Users as an Alternative to Complex Command Prompt Command Lines.

(Note: this utility is for the Eagle Dynamics' Distribution of DCS World, It will not function w/ the Steam Distribution)

Command Line Functions for DCS_Updater are Here: (though this utility will only offer the basic functions listed below)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Primary Functions are:

Launch DCS World

Update DCS World

Repairs DCS World

Help Functions:

Display DCS_Updater.exe Access and DCS World Version Numbers

Goto Updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com to View Latest Versions

Module Functions:

-Install Modules Individually by clicking on the Module Icon.

-Install Multiple Modules at one time by checking the module box and clicking Install Selected Modules Button.

-Un-Install Multiple Modules at one time by checking the module box and clicking Un-Install Selected Modules Button.

-Launch Starforce Console to Activate/Deactivate Modules

-Install Video Training Modules via Video Training Panel

-Update to Specific Version / Branch via Advanced Update Panel

Single EXE File (About 5.0MB).

Will be Updated w/ New Module Icons when they are released.

Instructions:

1. Download the ZIP File, Extract Contents to temporary folder.

2. Place EXE in your /DCS World/ Folder

Multiple Copies Allowed (one in each Branch {Release, Open Beta, Open Alpha, Legacy, etc), Just create a short cut for each and rename them to manage)

**Note Stating w/ 12-05-2016, The option to set and manage multiple install paths was integrated.**

Current Version 12.18.2016-2:

DOWNLOAD

attachment.php?attachmentid=153692&stc=1&d=1482081298

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

Thanks Enduro14 - I hadn't read that thread in detail but yes it covers/confirms this issue, great.

@MainSail - looks like a nice tool, although I don't see myself doing more than switching between release and open beta for now so I'm good with a couple shortcuts, but thanks.

Thanks for making this thread.

I stayed up till 1:30am so I could try the Viggen but it wouldn't come up on the list of modules and eventually i found the forum threads explaining it was open beta. Which I don't have installed and can't download because i pay for mb. I tried using the 3rd party UI updater but it won't work. I tried making a copy of the install and putting the beta updater in it but that won't work. I read the updater is supposed to copy from your HDD but mine just tries to download again.

I accidentally deleted my main folder cause i was getting annoyed and flustered...

I have got to completing downloading the beta update but when i start it is is not beta and I can't install the Viggen.

Ill try this line in the shortcut target and give up and go to bed

I recently got an SSD and I didn't want to download the whole 30gig again so i just copied the DCS folder from the HDD to the SSD. It worked fine since then but i wonder if that is why I am having so much trouble updating to beta now?

Thanks for making this thread.

I stayed up till 1:30am so I could try the Viggen but it wouldn't come up on the list of modules and eventually i found the forum threads explaining it was open beta. Which I don't have installed and can't download because i pay for mb. I tried using the 3rd party UI updater but it won't work. I tried making a copy of the install and putting the beta updater in it but that won't work. I read the updater is supposed to copy from your HDD but mine just tries to download again.

I accidentally deleted my main folder cause i was getting annoyed and flustered...

I have got to completing downloading the beta update but when i start it is is not beta and I can't install the Viggen.

Ill try this line in the shortcut target and give up and go to bed

I recently got an SSD and I didn't want to download the whole 30gig again so i just copied the DCS folder from the HDD to the SSD. It worked fine since then but i wonder if that is why I am having so much trouble updating to beta now?

Openbeta was release like 15mins ago. So it's normal that last night it wouldnt work...it wasnt released..

If you just go with the command promp in your dcs\bin folder and type dcs_updater.exe update @openbeta, it will change your version to the 1.5.6 open beta and download only the required files

If I go from Stable to openbeta, will I have to redo all my joystick bindings?

I sure hope not - that was part of the point of this thread. I was hoping that by using the stable install to update to open beta that all of the existing mappings would work. I'm going to make sure that I back up the DCS folder under the saved games folder just in case anything gets overwritten.

If I go from Stable to openbeta, will I have to redo all my joystick bindings?

I don't know if switching from stable to OB within one install creates a separate Input folder with user's controller bindings, or converts the old one, but You can always back it up and copy to new location IF needed (C:\Users\[Your username]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input folder has to become C:\...\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.