Current state of Mirage module

Gunny Highway

Question for you Mirage drivers:

How is the module as it sits today? Do all of the systems work? Have the major issues been patched?

I'm looking to get a new plane, but most of the info I can find about the Mirage is dated several months ago and points out tons of bugs. What are your thoughts? Any major deal breakers still out there?

Thanks.

Well I've yet to run into any showstoppers. Great training missions, even better campaign. Missile performance is pretty good, even online. It recently got a very good FM update.

I've had the plane since it came out in early access. It's basically a complete module now in all but the name, I've yet to encounter any showstopping bugs and everything seems to work as advertised.

Highly recommended.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The manual could use an update, but there is now a full set of training missions that extend into a nice campaign. So learning the aircraft shouldn't be a big problem.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil WarBRD, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The Mirage is ahead of other beta modules that were released years before it. There are no major issues and functionality steadily increases. The developer is also very involved in the forum and keeps us updated on what is what.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Very good module, missile performance is outstanding (I have no data on the accuracy of the missile performance, but the Super 530 D is a sniper rifle compared to the flaming cliffs SARH missiles and makes one forget you only carry two of them, as they are very deadly when employed correctly.), it´s a nimble dogfighter with an accurate, in depth navigational system that allows quick, manual creation of flight plans and way points.

Very suitable for multiplayer, as it can easily perform a variety of roles in conjunction with other players. Can be used as a bomb-truck with 4 GBU-12s and a supporting A-10C or JTAC while still carrying full A2A load. Can work as a makeshift AWACs using it´s western RWR and pretty good Radar suit, point defence interceptor as it has very quick turn around times, and large flights can be a very effective CAP solution, as the engine is very fuel efficient and the centerline droptank is huge, meaning you can stay up and running for quite a while before BINGO. The weapons computer even allows you to turn off the cooling for the IR missiles, as they would normally run out after 90 minutes of continuous running. Remembering to turn them off (and on again before you need them) is something no other jet models yet AFAIK, and could produce some confusion why your Magic IIs refuse to lock after a 2 hour CAP mission. But it is a long enough time that a simple romp on a MP server is not largely affected, still nice that they payed attention to it. The damage model seems to be largely fixed so it doesn´t tank missiles to the face anymore, atleast from my experience, making it more enjoyable to fly against.

Variety of modern functionalities such as various quick, close range air to air modes, easy bullseye-referencing, the Radar seems to perform very realistically in regards to dropping locks on notching targets (I tend to try and avoid doppler-problems actively by diving below my target if possible before launching). The Radar also doesn´t seem to be able to retain locks in stupid conditions way out of gimbal anymore, doesn´t drop locks on minor rolls, etc. Every time I dropped a lock, it was something logical, like my target being below me with ground closeby and pulling into the notch.

The only downside is going to be learning how to gun with it, as it´s gun-snake only reticule needs some adjusting to, even with the Radar-range indicator giving you the lead point, it is all very delayed and requires a solid track for a couple seconds to be stable and accurate. Compared to the FC3 CCIP reticules, very hard to use, but rewarding to pull off a gunkill.

Air to ground is still a bit off, the Radar-slant ranging and radar altimeter triangulation reticules used for ballistic weapons (gun, rockets, bombs) is not 100% accurate, but this could either be because I employ faulty procedures or because that´s how it is in the jet...this isn´t an A-10 after all. Compared to the always 100% accurate impact point calculations for the FC-3 aircraft, once you know where to aim and when to fire, it´s not too bad. Just don´t expect to drop single bombs straight on target without atleast some training. I´d suggest dropping multiple bombs anyway.

In terms of weaponry, I am still looking forward to the Belougas working as they should, and the implementation of BAP-100/BAT-120 anti-runway/anti-tank weapons, and I am kinda miffed we don´t get the capability to drop larger than 500lbs Mk82s apart from the GBU-16 and 24 that can be slung on the centerline.

In my opinion, coming from someone with no knowledge of the Mirage 2000 C and only a generous theoretical knowledge of air-combat technology, it atleast all "feels" complete. Minor tweaking aside, of course, nothing is evidently broken like how it used to be when it first came out where 50% of the jet was missing and the weapons performed like arse.

Overall, RAZBAM has done a phenomenal job and I can only see them improving in the future. They have a very interesting stable of aircraft planned and if they continue the level of quality set with their first DCS outing, I am looking happily into the future.

Good job, RAZBAM.

Edited by Chrinik

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Thanks for your input. Sounds like it may be worth buying now. Currently only own FC3 and F5E.

What servers do y'all fly on? I don't play online with anyone currently.

Have you considered the A10-C? Obviously if you're more up for CAP then M2000-C will be a better choice.

Regarding it's state, IMO:

Positives:

- overall close to be complete, no show-stoppers

- easy to learn and fun to fly, fly-by-wire

- quite versatile, mostly a fighter but can do some ground pounding missions

- great SP campaign (if it would be a bit longer it could even be a DLC).

To improve:

- Manual is outdated, some information is missing some can be even misleading. For someone new to the module I could imagine it being an issue. The information is on the forums but as things evolved and went through the changes you'll need first to find it and then figure out which one is the latest which may not be so trivial. A good training missions have been added quite recently which will help but the normal way is manual first for detailed information, then training missions to practice. Training missions are supplimentary to the manual, not vice versa.

- Internal sound

- Precision of ground attack modes

- BLG-66 Beluga is just a 3D model, technically it's an rather ineffective Rockeye

- Nav alignment doesn't work in a correct way

- Some PCA modes need to be completed

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

It's the only module i fly (have to admit that i'm a big fan of the Mirage 2000 aircraft from the early 90's, when i sat for the first time in a real aircraft:)).

The main area for improvement, IMO, are some HUD / RADAR functionality /bugs that are missing / need be resolved (already discussed several times in various topics).

The FM feels much better and i imagine that it will be further fine tuned in the future.

Completion of the module shouldn't be to far away.

Edited by jaguara5

Again guys, thanks for the input. I'm looking at picking it up this weekend and giving it a go. As far as the A10C goes, it just has not interested me enough to purchase it over the FC3 A10. I appreciate how complicated the systems are, but fighters are more my thing.

The module I look forward to the most right now is the HARRIER. I spent 8 years in the US Marines, including some time on a LHD, and watching them take off and land was a thing of beauty. I was hoping the Mirage module would be high quality, because it should be a good indicator of the quality of the upcoming Harrier module. Looks like good things are coming our way from RAZBAM.

Can be used as a bomb-truck with 4 GBU-12s and a supporting A-10C or JTAC while still carrying full A2A load.

Meeeep. Not really.

I mean you can (in DCS) but you shouldn't (if you wanna do it "like in RL"):D

Nevertheless:

Good job, RAZBAM.

Indeed:thumbup:

spacer.png

Yup i think this module is definitely worth a purchase. Fun to fly, challenging to go up against F15c/SU27 but still a competent adversary, surprisingly it actually has a reasonable level of effectiveness in air to ground as well, which should be even better when we get the BAT & the BAP.

Just gotta add one more thing, I've stopped flying the FC3 jets, & the Mig21, because of this French beauty.

It's very deadly in the right hands (not mine obviously :) ) , and very fast. I just have a thing for supersonic fighters and this is a purebred. It's air to air armament is a bit small compared to the big FC3 jets, but kills are much more satisfying as a result. I disagree about the guns, I find them very easy to use, and sometimes necessary. Just two days ago I ran into a hardy A10C online that managed to dodge both my S530Ds and both MagicIIs. Needless to say I was embarassed as hell & forced to gun him down, and managed to do so using the close range radar mode and guns on my first pass.

Ill probably go back to the Mig21, at some point, if for no other reason than to take on the Tigers, and because it's also a very well made iconic supersonic interceptor, but for pure AA, I don't think Ill go near another airplane in the forseeable future. :D

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I exploded a friendly M2000 with an AIM 120 last night. Is the IFF a WIP or am I a dumbass? Definitely felt like a dumbass on the server last night.

Sorry but I think it's on you. People reported some problems in the past about IFF interrogator, but there's nothing specific to the Mirage as far as the transponder is concerned. It's classically tied to the coalition.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

His IFF was turned off because autostart didn't switch it.

Wait, so the IFF works both ways? If a friendly Mirage doesn't turn his IFF on it won't broadcast that he is friendly??

In-game: Badger

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

A-10 Warthog: For the times when absolutely, positively everything must die.

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | M2000C | AJS37 | UH1 | FC3

The Mirage has:

- IFF interrogator (IIFF), on the right side of the cockpit, that you must turn ON to identify friendly contact on YOUR radar scope.

- IFF transponder to be identified by other aircraft. IRL the device is below the radar scope, but in DCS it has no effect at all.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi