Urgent , what card is best for LockON ?

Halabit

Hi ,

I am going tomorrow to buy a new graphics card .

I was thinking about three cards , can you say to me which card is best for LockON .

GIGABYTE 6800GT AGP 256MB 256BITA DDR3 N68T FULL PACK

or

ATI AGP Original ATI X800XT All-In-Wonder 256MB 256Bit GDDR3 VIVO

or

MSI NX 7600 GS TD 256 DDR2 GeForce AGP DVI Dual VGA TV-out 128bit

Please can you please advise me :helpsmilie: :smartass:

halabit.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Aleksandar - an astronaut. A electricity wave caught me and I got shot trought a wormhole. Now I'm stuck in ETF , full of strange alien life forms. I'm trying to stay alive , HELP ME, I'm just looking for a way home!!!

Yes , but I can't find that card in my country .

What you think what is the best card of those three that I metion in post above ?

halabit.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Aleksandar - an astronaut. A electricity wave caught me and I got shot trought a wormhole. Now I'm stuck in ETF , full of strange alien life forms. I'm trying to stay alive , HELP ME, I'm just looking for a way home!!!

I definately recommend you WAIT for the 8800 series to come out in your country. X800 XT is already outdated....games like splintercell double agent don't even work on it.

my 6800 is now like a low end card. Wait for the 8800 GS and if you have the money get the 8800 GTX.....it is the undisputed "king of the hill" firingsquad.com.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

No way! X800XT and 6800GT are both faster than 7600 "GS" (not "GT").

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Why would the new Nvidias help him so much with Lomac?

They're both powerful and DX10 capable - but Lomac doesn't even use DX9, and right now performance is limited more by the CPU than anything else.

For future games perhaps it may be worth it, but we're talking Windows Vista and another hardware upgrade before we get to DX10 and the next generation of games . . . . .

And as with any other hardware choice - if you're waiting for the next big thing to come out before upgrading, you'll be waiting forever ;)

I haven't seen benchmarks for the 7600, but I've seen benchmarks on the X800XT and the 6800GT and they are both pretty respectable cards - be happy with either one of them :)

Depends on what CPU you have. The 8xxx series nVidias need a DECENT multicore CPU to to run adequately. Even the gap between 6800 and 7800 is marginal, if you don't have the according CPU. With my A46 3200, even having it overclocked to its max, the performance increase was noteable, but not worth the price, if I had the choice (my old card died :cry:) .

LR1Sig-Longcopy.jpg

First I want to thank you all for very good advices :notworthy: :thumbup:

I decide to buy

GIGABYTE 6800GT AGP 256MB 256BIT DDR3 N68T FULL PACK

My computer spec is :

P4 3.2 GHz

2048 DDR 400Hz

6800GT

Saitek X45

I know that I am boring , but just one question more , with this spec. can I play LockOn on HIGH graphic ?

halabit.jpg

Why would the new Nvidias help him so much with Lomac?

Unified shaders. I think it will help a lot, even in the older titles that aren't DX10. The 8800 was almost nearly twice the fps of X1800 in benchmarks of Lockon. However, they benchmarked on brand new Core2DUO extreme. So you guys are right he will probably be CPU limited.

Oh and to the original poster, I had P4 3.2 and a 6800 Ultra, only I didn't have 2 gigs of RAM like u do, I only had 1. I think you can run a few things on high. I wasn't dissappointed but at the time it replaced a P4 2.4 and 9800 Radeon and I thought when I got the 3.2 and 6800 I was really going to be able to turn up the settings. Well it wasn't what I expected. Certainly, though the game was enjoyable. I still ran mostly everything on MEDIUM and I think I bounced around between settings depending on if I was doing A2A or A2G. My new computer is Core2 DUO 6700, 2 gigs RAM and a 7900GT and it's pretty sweet but I still run WATER and VIS on MEDIUM to get smooth fps. I consider trying the water tweak MOD to try higher water settings for reflections and stuff.

Awwww I hate you guys :( I only have a GeForceFX 5200 128mb... and it runs LOMAC fine at around 20FPS, pretty smooth for such a lame card! But I do occasionally get some lag spikes especially when missile dodging or dogfighting :( I really wish I could afford those high end cards like you guys :cry:

Raptor22Sig.jpg

Gigabyte GA-M55SLI S-4

AMD64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz

2GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz

eVGA GeForce7950GT 512MB

Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen

Western Digital Cavier 160GB 7200RPM SATA

SoundBlaster Audigy X-Fi

Creative MegaWorks 5.1 THX 550

TrackIR 4 Pro

MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 :joystick:

It depends what FPS you find acceptable. I have a slow P4 @ 2.6Mhz and an ancient Radeon9600XT. I have everything except water on max/high (you probably think i'm crazy) . FPS are 30 at best but usually around 10. Probably awfull for most but if it's still beter than a slide show and playable.

Off course with a lot of AI and explosions around things get ugly.

Since lockon benefits most for CPU I will probably soon buy a new card around 150euro boosting FPS to a staggering 30 (LOL).

High-end vid cards just aren't worth the money (at least when putting them in older machines) imho

DELL Inspiron 1564 / Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz (4GB)___ATI Radeon HD4330(512Mb)___Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

you have the very same PC as mine (with 6800GT) although i have P4 HT 800FSB 3.0gig.

I play Lockon online with Birdy666th Tree mod at 1152x768 with everything on High except the following:

View Distance = Medium

Water = Medium

Civ Traffic = Off (i think)

I get 25-45 averaging around 30fps and i fly A2G all the time and nothing else.

great overview WR. Thanks.

@MrWolf-Loskins; I have view distance at max too (else some tree-clusters are missing from a forest). If you have about the same PC, there's hope for me yet when getting a new vid card

DELL Inspiron 1564 / Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz (4GB)___ATI Radeon HD4330(512Mb)___Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

In fact, firingsquad is one of the few tech sites that uses LockOn benchmarks in 3D-card reviews.

I have an X850XT in my rig, and lomac runs pretty well, but I've also noticed that in every benchmark @ firingsquad, Nvidia cards seem to outperform ATI's.

BTW, this only happens in Lomac, in other games benchmarks are more balanced, sometimes are better ATI cards, sometimes Nvidia cards...

great overview WR. Thanks.

@MrWolf-Loskins; I have view distance at max too (else some tree-clusters are missing from a forest). If you have about the same PC, there's hope for me yet when getting a new vid card

FPS is drastically reduced on my PC if i run MAX view distance ! :(

Do you have other things turned down ?

I have a MSI6800Ultra being delivered this week :) that should do it.