Magnetic declination

MBot

In anything else but a cold start, the magnetic declination is wrong.

attachment.php?attachmentid=158458&stc=1&d=1488741810

Notice the true heading of 219° in the info bar. Magnetic declination in Las Vegas is 14° E, so magnetic heading will be 205.

attachment.php?attachmentid=158459&stc=1&d=1488741810

Aircraft after cold spawn and external power applied. CI and backup compass show magnetic heading of 205°. Correct (even though the CI is flagged).

attachment.php?attachmentid=158460&stc=1&d=1488741810

Aircraft after hot spawn. CI shows 219°, which is wrong. Backup compass is still correct with 205°. Also applies to air start.

Screen_170305_201846.thumb.jpg.a6096c3e1932f564b45e75b6f5f2a1ac.jpg

Screen_170305_201929.thumb.jpg.74e43cb4d3c353e6594df23160181b28.jpg

Screen_170305_202013.thumb.jpg.29442f79377b432187dc07c40e27818b.jpg

The nav system might use true heading for its internal computations, but it would be very strange if this was displayed to the pilot. Every navigation chart and every runway marking uses magnetic heading.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have never really bothered to use the KURSKORR knob to correctly set the magnetic declination. Now I am starting to wonder how the aircraft actually "knows" the correct local declination?

Is this knob "automatically" adjusted to the correct value depending on which map I am even for a cold start?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I have never really bothered to use the KURSKORR knob to correctly set the magnetic declination. Now I am starting to wonder how the aircraft actually "knows" the correct local declination?

Is this knob "automatically" adjusted to the correct value depending on which map I am even for a cold start?

Yes, it is, and it was sort of a "design by necessity" sort of thing IIRC (it's been a while). The other issues need to be looked at and also whether this feature needs improvement.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Yes, it is, and it was sort of a "design by necessity" sort of thing IIRC (it's been a while). The other issues need to be looked at and also whether this feature needs improvement.

Thanks for the clarification, Cobra :)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

• 6 months later...

Same thing here. I could not adjust the kurskorr knob but since it is done automatically, then it's all for the best (I still did spend 10 minutes looking for a fix since in the first training lesson, they ask you to adjust that knob).

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

Do i get this right? Do we never have to touch that untouchable declination knob because it is adjusted automatically (design choice) independet of doing a cold start, hot start or spawning in the air? So we don't need to bother with magnetic declination at all atm?

Thank's Cobra for that clarification. I haven't bother to use KURSKORR-knob, as i doesn't move in cockpit. But began to think of it when the issue was brought up here. Good to know it's automatic. Would be nice if it in the future will be an real funktion in it as it is a part of setting up the plane. :)

Edited by FanOfALF

Regards

FanOfALF

Can someone confirm whether the aircraft should really displaying true heading to the pilot? Because I think it is very weird considering navigation charts and runway headings in aviation are using magnetic headings.

The ingame is showing course over ground/true course. Same for runways.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Uhmm ok that seems to be the case. I just find it very old school way instead of using true course.

Runways are named by a number between 01 and 36, which is generally the magnetic azimuth of the runway's heading in decadegrees. This heading differs from true north by the local magnetic declination.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Uhmm ok that seems to be the case. I just find it very old school way instead of using true course.

Runways are named by a number between 01 and 36, which is generally the magnetic azimuth of the runway's heading in decadegrees. This heading differs from true north by the local magnetic declination.

I just find it very old school way instead of using true course.

What's 'very old school'? Navigation is always based on magnetic north. The problem is the DCS flat world model which results is a mix of grid north, true north and magnetic north in the sim and in the mission planner.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

What's 'very old school'? Navigation is always based on magnetic north.

Whats your source? Because i doubt that a airliner, cruise ship or a fighter jet are you using the magnetic compass as thier primary navigation tool.

Whats your source? Because i doubt that a airliner, cruise ship or a fighter jet are you using the magnetic compass as thier primary navigation tool.
In reality the numbers on the runways are always in magnetic. As surprising it can be, even the most modern aircrafts of today has to have, by regulation, a magnetic compass and other kind of instruments not in need of external systems like electrical power etc. You should always have a backup system avaliable in case of power outage in the cockpit and other similar emergencies.

And all aerodromes need to be able to support older/simpler aircrafts without fancy stuff in their cockpit.

And to give one example regarding your question in my quote. If the GNSS fail on the aircraft there is only by the earth magnetic field your heading can be determined, even internally by the other positioning systems. INS systems and the like are based on dead reckoning and do accumulate errors over time.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5