Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

What exactly is that lever down at the bottom right of the grip?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is that lever down at the bottom right of the grip?

You mean the palm rest?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

You mean the palm rest?

Ah yes, ok thanks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just a better image showing the palm rest:

attachment.php?attachmentid=167679&d=1502982170

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Looking great guys really likeing the original Cyrillic, guess I will be getting a pro with markings after all .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

On a technical note I have given up trying to set my Gunfighter Pro up for Helo flying as with the Warthog stick top I cant find a working combination of Springs and Friction, the Stick top appears to be too heavy. If anyone has a suggestion that works lmk, for the moment I am just waiting for the Pro to be released as i am sure that will do the job.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

It's a dreams-come-true day ;)

Nope, they're not ready to be shipped out yet, but look at how more precise and accurate the seams became (well well OK, these are rendered pics... but we did improve the molds, really). And hey, some liked them Cyr? Here you go.

Thanks!!! It looks much more authentic than the Latin text, IMHO.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

On a technical note I have given up trying to set my Gunfighter Pro up for Helo flying as with the Warthog stick top I cant find a working combination of Springs and Friction, the Stick top appears to be too heavy. If anyone has a suggestion that works lmk, for the moment I am just waiting for the Pro to be released as i am sure that will do the job.

If the weight difference is that significant, I wonder if the opposite might be true as well, i.e. using a VKB grip on a gimbal designed for the heavy TM grips might require more force than with the TM grips?

BTW, is it just my wrong impression or is the VKB grip noticeably smaller than the Virpil one (the part under the handrest)? That would be a plus for me as the Virpil grip looks huge on a Warthog base (compared to the TM grip I wouldn't call small).

I'm not trying to sidetrack the thread, but I'm just curious about VKB grip dimensions (sorry if they were published already) as this might influence the gimbal handling as well.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm not trying to sidetrack the thread, but I'm just curious about VKB grip dimensions (sorry if they were published already) as this might influence the gimbal handling as well.

I don't have measurements yet; once I do, I upload them to the respective MCG product pages at VKBcontrollers.com. I will ping VKB HQ about them.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks!!! It looks much more authentic than the Latin text, IMHO.

Funnily enough, both are 100% authentic, as the export version's abbreviated Latin text matches that of the real thing as well.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Funnily enough, both are 100% authentic, as the export version's abbreviated Latin text matches that of the real thing as well.

Yeah, it was mentioned earlier that the Latin texts were from the export sticks, but, you know, English labels look rather off on a Russian grip IMHO, that's all (plus I find some of the translations awkward).

Edited by Dudikoff

Why not use your Komodo?!? :D Unless you got the collective only?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

BTW, is it just my wrong impression or is the VKB grip noticeably smaller than the Virpil one (the part under the handrest)?.

VKB opt for use F-35 style adjustable hand rest, instead copy the original in T50, for keep the grip usable in desktop configuration.

Original T50 adjustable mechanism take too much space, leaving the grip to high, unpractical for use in desktop.

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

Looking great guys really likeing the original Cyrillic, guess I will be getting a pro with markings after all .

This that the cyrillic is optional now makes one difference, when you don't understand what the label is saying, it doesn't matter so much if it is in collision with the binding.

I still go for no-label version, and probably get a second grip with cyrillics after getting 2 base + 1 grip first...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If the weight difference is that significant, I wonder if the opposite might be true as well, i.e. using a VKB grip on a gimbal designed for the heavy TM grips might require more force than with the TM grips?

If I remember correctly, the WH grip is 3x heavier than the Virpil grip. And it makes a big difference to balancing stick with extension and all for VKB base. So considering that if MCG is lighter than the WH grip, then yes you need more force in the edges of the stick moves, but not so much different for when in center as the mass is mainly downward.

These are the interesting times when we now have VKB and Virpil doing alternative sticks for the TM:WH, really great time to be a virtual combat pilot now.

Why not use your Komodo?!? :D Unless you got the collective only?
Yep collective only I always intended on using the VKB pro. Guess I will just wait for the MCG Pro as it was fine with the kg12 just couldnt live with the lack of buttons.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

is the VKB grip noticeably smaller than the Virpil one

That I can't clarify. We don't have Virpil's grips at hand to compare.

One thing to say though.

MCG was designed by original documentation, not "inspired by" publicly available pictures. It went through some minimal adaptations to usage with flight simulators, but apart from that it is as close to original as possible. I believe there is no need t worry about its size.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

That I can't clarify. We don't have Virpil's grips at hand to compare.

One thing to say though.

I'm just curious how it compares to TM grips in size (e.g. from Warthog or Cougar) as I intend to get the MCG-TM grip (to start with, at least :) ) to use with a TM Cougar base. So, I hope the TM-adapter part (which screws on to the TM base) will be strong enough :)

VKB opt for use F-35 style adjustable hand rest, instead copy the original in T50, for keep the grip usable in desktop configuration.

Original T50 adjustable mechanism take too much space, leaving the grip to high, unpractical for use in desktop.

This is something that I totally accept, that the designer is given some loose leech so they can improve the usability of the grip/throttle instead doing 1:1 replica because we ain't sitting in same kind cockpit than the real pilots are.

I can't wait what VKB gets to their throttle now, as they already improved the MCG so much based the community wishes and considering that we are virtual pilots and added so many axis and buttons that real grip doesn't have, that.... What can you say? :D

Good, the VPC grip looks absurdly tall, even without an extension.

Only for a desk use. And they say that it ain't optimal for many, but some do have their table lower so they don't have a problem from it. And this is one good thing why they are selling their own HOTAS mounts to table that places the stick way under.

I am planning to do same thing with the MCG, to drop it way under.