What Altitude to Fly At?

MRaza

This is a SUPER noob question, so pardon me but:

What altitude should I fly at?

This may seem like a really dumb question but after take-off, what are the advantages of getting high, getting low, or staying at a medium altitude? What's advisable?

I know the advantage of staying low is that you stay safe from SAMs (mostly) but what are the disadvantages? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of staying super high?

:helpsmilie:

This ultimately depends on what aircraft you're flying. A good rule of thumb for attackers (A10, su25, helos) is be low until you need to do work, be high long enough to hit things, get low and get out.

For air superiority, fly high to keep an eye out. Higher than the bad guy and outside his SAM range.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This is a SUPER noob question, so pardon me but:

What altitude should I fly at?

This may seem like a really dumb question but after take-off, what are the advantages of getting high, getting low, or staying at a medium altitude? What's advisable?

I know the advantage of staying low is that you stay safe from SAMs (mostly) but what are the disadvantages? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of staying super high?

:helpsmilie:

Altitude is a tactical and operational question. The mission dictates the tactics and tactics dictate the weapons to be used. Generally flying low offers increased protection from detection by ground based radar and other air defences. Mixed with terrain following and a properly plotted route this can be a very effective defensive measure. The disadvantage of flying at low level (and this is true of all aircraft) is that fuel economy is much worse than it is at higher altitudes.

Flying high offers different advantages: you'll be much more fuel efficient, your radar horizon is much larger so you'll detect targets at longer range, and your maximum speed increases as altitude increases. The disadvantages of flying at high altitude are that you're much more visible to ground based radars and air defence systems, and that at very high altitude the maneuvering performance of aircraft is significantly degraded.

Typically strike aircraft will fly at altitude for fuel efficiency then drop down to low level on the ingress to the target area in order to mask themselves from air defences. Fighter aircraft tend to stay at higher altitudes in order to maximise radar performance and to ensure a decent time-on-station, at least when CAP is concerned.

Flying at very high altitude (above 12,000m) also offers advantages as many aircraft simply won't expect you to be up there and therefore won't be scanning that altitude with their radar. It's worth noting though that as far as DCS aircraft are concerned only the F-15C, Su-27 and Mirage 2000 are really capable of combat operations at very high altitude.

Really, the answer as to what altitude you should fly at is: what are you flying, and what are you trying to achieve?

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Some rules of thumb when flying Russian jets:

Mig-29: has a pretty weak radar, therefore would be advisable to fly it low (generally not above 1.500m Above Ground Level - AGL) in order to be able to dodge incoming missiles. ARH and SARH always tend to fly to an intercept point with their target, so if you dive and make that point below surface the missile will crash into the ground.

Su-27: has a more powerful radar than Mig-29, so you can fly it between 3km and 7km altitude, so you can enjoy greater firing distance with the R-27ER.

Edited by Cmptohocah
typo

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Yep, all about tactics but if you know the route or way-points in pre-mission briefing planning you will formalize best employment tactics that are commonly used.

Also have for example correct Intel on enemy targets in the hotzone location (mark points).

You then have a clear passage to either first fly in at high alt and as you get nearer drop down to the weeds as per say flying in low NOE and when your at way-point close (1-3 Nm) to the threat zone do a POP-UP ATTACK using CCIP method.

Or simple or fly in high above 30'000 feet clearing sam threats, but you got to look (S.A) and be ready for Split-S or defensive maneuvering and use your radars and have wing-man in full spread formation observing your 6 o'clock. :smilewink: :thumbup:

For more info use Google Search .......... https://www.google.com.au/search?q=DCS+A-10C++CCIP+pop+up+attack+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Q-gGWZOBAuXDXovYiaAB

Just tactics and some strategic planning using common sense in an air combat environment is critical to mission planning all other comments above will also be of help.

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

I like to fly the F-15 as high as possible so I can shoot down on the enemy and they have to shoot up. The F-15 has the best BVR radar and that helps flying high too.

However, when missiles are flying towards me I may lose all that altitude advantage trying to dodge them.

Buzz

Except for what all the others have said...... take heed that in MP, 90% of people are flying Red Baron, so you'd most likely end up hugging the ground.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Red Baron?

Red Baron, that old WW1 sim for Pentium 2's :smilewink:

You know, everyone is down low in the weeds. Comes natural in prolonged turning fights and kill hunts i guess.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache