New Labels.lua

I like the new Labels.lua. Quite an upgrade from the last one. Thank you Guys.

I am attaching a modified Labels.lua for the slightly more hardcore crowd. This one has only a distance number showing between 14-25km that can easily be adjusted or eliminated. The dot is one type: ".", centered exactly on the body of Aircraft (or other target) and will show only on distances >2km. Same format for Air, ships, weapons and ground targets.

PS: Place file in C:\Users\YOURUserName\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\View

In case you did not know, you can incorporate the Labels.lua into your .miz file to enforce it in Multiplayer environment for everyone that connects. If you need to know how, please ask.

Incidentally, it seems that once custom labels.lua is incorporated into you mission you can edit the mission in Mission Editor and resave it without having to reincorporate the labels file as it used to be the case in the past. Many thanks for that too. :)

Labels.lua

Edited by Kadin

Thanks Kadin,

My game doesn't have "View" folder in my "Config" folder. Do I create the folder and then place it in there. Once installed will the file automatically do its thing or do I have to activate it somehow. Depending on if I want to use the file or revert back to the original, can I just delete it from he View folder?

I don't know nothing from nothing, but this sounds like a great option for JSGME.

RJ

Yes, as rtimmons said. Always add/modify files in the C:\...\Saved Games\. If you have a question on how the file structure suppose to be (as in your case), look at the Main DCS installation area and mirror that.

Edited by Kadin

Thanks, very nice. I made a few changes just to not be so much of a 'cheat' as I use it in VR to 'assist' visual acquisition. Just made all the colours the same light grey and removed any distance info. They also showed a little close so pushed the min distance out.

Really nice that the dot is perfectly centred on the aircraft, my old labels used to be waaaay below the aircraft!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks VampireNZ. Actually, I got a modified one with no distance and grey colors (90,90,90) for "internal" usage. I was wondering how it shows in VR. I use a 4k monitor and the 2k seems to be when the actual LOD of AC start to show. So yes please post your version.

Thanks VampireNZ. Actually, I got a modified one with no distance and grey colors (90,90,90) for "internal" usage. I was wondering how it shows in VR. I use a 4k monitor and the 2k seems to be when the actual LOD of AC start to show. So yes please post your version.

Will post it up when I get home. I use 150,150,150 for all the labels so you still have to "IFF" targets some other way as normal. I found that grey to be the least 'visible' so you still actually have to look for the dot - works fairly well - except when it is occluded by the cockpit etc as it shows through it which is a shame.

Works really well in VR. The dot is about the size of a F-5 fuselage when viewed from behind at about 2nm or so.

I actually have a Voice Attack command that just activates the labels for 5 sec then turns them off again - just to help with initial spotting at a realistic range, as it is a little tricky in VR sometimes.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, I didn't realize the Labels.lua had changed. If the dot is actually in the center of the target, that's a game changer!!

Thank you!!

UPDATE: I also removed the distance tag and blended both sides back to a more neutral color. It works great in VR with a single dot. So great!!

Edited by Vandal71

Your labels lua with a few tweaks to colour (same light grey for all contacts), range cutoff further out and no info. Could probably be a tiny bit darker to blend with contact more - will try it out. I find the lighter grey catches your eye a bit less so you still need to 'look' for it.

Loving the new label system though! Blends in really nicely to the contact with the new transparency change and positioning etc, you barely even notice it in VR now (with my colour change). Just enough to highlight a contact/missile.

New Labels.rar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent! Thanks VampireNZ

Try this one for VR - made a few more tweaks once I noticed the 'font size' option....so smaller dot! :thumbup:

New Labels.rar

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I am attaching a modified Labels.lua for the slightly more hardcore crowd. This one has only a distance number showing between 14-25km that can easily be adjusted or eliminated. The dot is one type: ".", centered exactly on the body of Aircraft (or other target) and will show only on distances >2km. Same format for Air, ships, weapons and ground targets.

In case you did not know, you can incorporate the Labels.lua into your .miz file to enforce it in Multiplayer environment for everyone that connects. If you need to know how, please ask.

Incidentally, it seems that once custom labels.lua is incorporated into you mission you can edit the mission in Mission Editor and resave it without having to reincorporate the labels file as it used to be the case in the past. Many thanks for that too. :)

I'd like to know please. I am familiar with running lua code and lua files in-game, is it like that?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Incidentally, it seems that once custom labels.lua is incorporated into you mission you can edit the mission in Mission Editor and resave it without having to reincorporate the labels file as it used to be the case in the past. Many thanks for that too

I'd like to know please. I am familiar with running lua code and lua files in-game, is it like that?
Bump
Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Try sending Kadin a Private Message (PM), instead of bumping a forum thread he may or may not be watching.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Hi Kadin and thanks for your work.

I `ve just wondering how can I incorporate the Labels.lua into my .miz file. I will appreciate your advice. Thank in advance

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

• 7 months later...
Hi Kadin and thanks for your work.

I `ve just wondering how can I incorporate the Labels.lua into my .miz file. I will appreciate your advice. Thank in advance

open the .miz file with 7Zip. copy the Config / view / Labels.lua folder (modified) into the 7Zip window, close and you're done

[sIGPIC]2RGT DCS WORLD ITALIA[/sIGPIC]

DIAVOLO 1-1 | 2RGT OBERST

2RGT DCS Gruppo Volo Italiano

Canale Youtube: 2RGT OBERST

Facebook: DCS World Italia - 2RGT -

Canale Twitch: 2RGT OBERST

LIVE!

• 2 months later...

Could you please tell me, which exactly is the color code ( rgb) for the enemy aircrafts, and my aircraft?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• 2 years later...