DCS2 Mega Buildings Mod in DCS2 Open Alfa

I am working on updating my old LFC2 buildings mod to fit the Normandy and any other new maps in DCS2 and I am having this texture problem:

The older buildings, Tower Blocks etc, work just fine, but the newer style of buildings from the updated Caucasus Map, Batumi and Tiblisi buildings in particular, are not working properly. No matter where I put the correct texture files (dds and/or bmp) the model is sometimes picking up the texture and then putting either a grey or a green missing texture file on top of it, see the image of Batumi Tower. Some buildings it wont even see the texture file, see Beslan Terminal.

I intend to create some modern style buildings and some Spanish Civil War/WW2 style buildings from the existing models, as new add on's in the Mission Editor, if I can fix this problem.

I can normally fix any kind of problem like this but this one has me stumped, I have tried EVERYTHING.

Any advice please guys.

Screen_170630_132752.jpg

Have you named each texture a unique name?

I have found this to be a issue especially if two mods using the same texture are installed in a mission.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

To do that I would have to be able to change the texture ref data in the edm file and I have no capacity to do that.

As I understand it that should not matter, many older models use the same texture, the game has always done that, some textures are used on over 5 different models, and its not affecting the older models that I have added where that happens, so I don't think its that.

I am wondering if I should try changing the textures to png format, see if that works, you never know !!

I have almost finished a small mod to put the PRW-11 and RLS radars into this map, and the rotation works on the RLS, so I'm getting there ....

Edited by crazyeddie

Do you have the 3d models?

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

And the solution was?

Please share!

If you have the 3Dmodels, I can try applying the textures in 3Ds Max for you.

You know how complicated the game gets at times, where it read textures from, how it reads them, what format, dds/bmp/tga and how that differs in some models from version to version, I just had to figure out where to put the original textures in my Mod to get DCS2 Normandy Map to see them correctly.

The only problem I have left is the textures for the Batumi area, they appear to be picking up the correct texture files from the zip file, which is already in the right place, but overlaying a missing texture file on top of those few buildings ... Beslan, Tiblisis all work correctly, its just Batumi.

I will figure it out ... its DCS ... its never easy !!!

You know how complicated the game gets at times

Understatement of the year! :megalol:

Its something to do with a spec texture file. In the edm it shows a spec file for all the Batumi buildings but there is no spec texture file in any of the released versions of the game for the tower or the hangar, so I'm trying to make my own ... wait out !!

Okay, found all of the correct texture files and the spec files for all of the Batumi buildings, it didn't make an ounce of difference to the tower or the hangars.

DCS2 isnt set up for all of the Caucasus map features yet so until all three maps are in the same version of the game this will be unresolved I think.

Interesting problem which I can't figure out at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it took a bit of work but I cracked the confusing texture problem with Batumi's buildings.

BIG BIG file with lots of buildings and heaps of new textures to go with them, and as soon as we know how DCS will combine the three different maps I will finish this off, this is where I am at for now:

I am also doing the PAR structures, the main Radar structures and vehicles, the RSBN and RSP, AND I will throw in 5 good tree files to help Mission Builders create something a bit different. There are elements of some of these in the 2 images below. (Ignore the WW2 German buildings, no idea how to get rid of them ... yet !!)

Not all of the old buildings will be included, this is just my personal selection. Some are already available in the Mission Builder, so I have just added new textures for those, some do not show up no matter what you do to them and some are so poorly made I saw no point in hours of work to produce what will always be a pig ugly building. There are also a couple of buildings in there you probably did not even know were hiding away in another version of the game.

Still lots to do, but its coming along ...

Screen_170712_143838.thumb.jpg.5db7f004f0aa3f1d9ca7e9ca642422a3.jpg

Screen_170712_143922.thumb.jpg.426203415dc43f1848d404d687c68c64.jpg

Screen_170712_163758.thumb.jpg.18d9a96e75634f144a20e025b8ae0665.jpg

Edited by crazyeddie
Photobucket problems

Outstanding work Eddie!

And, congrats on solving the issue.

Sounds like you are stubborn, just like me! :D

Very nice work. Looking forward to it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Years ago Birdy created a good woodland mod for LFC, using existing lom files from the early versions of the game, long since abandoned by everyone of course when we moved to edm format..

I have a small wood mod that I use, using 5 of the current in game edm files. Sadly the 10 forest files that birdy used were in lom format and were never converted to use in edm format, and no longer exist in the game as far as I can tell, I have never been able to fine them or their replacements, ED just use the long thin triangular shaped woods for everything now.

BUT I HAVE KEPT COPIES OF THE LOM FILES.

These could be very useful in Mission Building if somebody could coNvert them into edm format

1252225758_LFCTrees.thumb.jpg.ca7d1b953b6969c91436aa36a49fd4a5.jpg

Its the top 2 rows of trees that I am talking about, 15 in total, ignore the rest. I do not have the kit to convert them but would love to recreate his old mod if I can get them into a useable edm format.

ANY TAKERS ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

BIG BIG file with lots of buildings and heaps of new textures to go with them ... I am also doing the PAR structures, the main Radar structures and vehicles, the RSBN and RSP, AND I will throw in 5 good tree files to help Mission Builders create something a bit different.

Hello,

I'm in the process of editing Railyard templates following an example made by Suntsag, to use as mission targets; and so I was looking for industrial buildings within the many Mods that I've collected over the years ...

.. thus I found the file that you mention above, where you managed to isolate many objects of the Caucasus Map, allowing mission builders to use them as they see fit.

However, this is an old Mod made for DCS 1.5 and thus the old Caucasus Map, so there are many objects that dont work well on the current Caucasus (mainly they have missing textures) .. naturally, I began to search the Forum and the User Files section to see if there was an updated version of your Mod.

So, here I am .. I see that your Mod is no longer on the User's Files and on this thread I see that you are now on other projects.

Would you mind if I package a version of your Mod with just the objects that do work well? Of course all the credit for the Models is yours and ED's .. I just want a Mod that can be used on 2.5 with no errors and that can be distributed to people that want to use Missions that I edit.

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB