New to Oculus Rift

Belphe

Hi,

Here are some of my PC specs:

- i7 7700K @4.5GHz

- GTX 1080 FTW @3840x2160

- 16 GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz

- Oculus Rift (new member of the family, courtesy of Oculus Summer Sale)

I used to run DCS in Ultra HD with TrackIR but since this morning I'm a changed man.. ;) However, with Rift a whole bunch of questions arose:

1. Does the fact that the sim is still displayed on the monitor (in a very strange, narrow resolution) as well as through the goggles mean that the graphics card is rendering it twice?

2. If so, can the monitor image be disabled so that that graphics card can get "all the power" for the image in the goggles?

3. Is keeping 3840x2160 resolution a good idea if the goggles can only do 1920x1080?

4. What should be my Pixel Density set up for considering my PC specs?

5. Is it normal that the image is so blured that I can't read some of the gauges and ABRIS text inside the Ka-50?

6. Does the Oculus have/need any Software to modify it's working parameters?

7. Is it normal that during my first vertical take off in the Black Shark and after pushing the stick forward the sensation of falling was so strong that I moved back in the chair and shouted? :D

Thanks for reading!

~Belphe

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. I doubt it

2.same

3.better to have the same res occulus uses I believe

4.Really depends which terrain you are using.In 1.5 you could probably use a PD of 2, where as Nevada and Normandy assuming you have them, you may have to dial it back abit to 1.7

5.increasing PD will help improve this.

6.Yes.Try the occulus tray tool.

7.Yes happens to me,VR loves fling wings.

do not take this as gospel, because someone with more savvy will be along.

Edited by Dinga

Dinga is pretty much on the money with his advice. A couple of thing I'd add:

1. What you see on the PC screen has already been rendered, it's just a mirror of what's projected on the left screen of the Rift. It doesn't cause any loss of performance.

2. No way to disable it, that I'm aware of.

3. Res should be the same as Oculus.

4. PD is a pretty subjective thing. General consensus is that the image doesn't get any better above about 1.8. Have a play with it and compare your FPS, find what works best.

5. What Dinga said.

7. Perfectly normal. First month of flying in the Rift for me caused me more motion sickness than I've ever experienced! Love it.

One other thing, it's very important to make sure the Rift sits on your head correctly. A small deviation vertically can make a big difference in image quality. Just double check the 'green cross' tool in the Oculus Home to make sure your alignment is good.

Welcome the the world of VR! I've been playing dcs for over a year nearly every day in Vr and the emmersion is still amazing. You will never go back to a monitor! Since your questions were already pretty much answered I just want to throw in a few things. Pixel density does help with clarity, but it adversely affects spotting targets at a distance. I keep mine at around 1.5 because of this. Another thing is the resolution defined in your settings does nothing when playing in VR, so set it to whatever you want, it will not affect anything. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Do you wear glasses for long sight or short sight? I got lenses made for my Rift, best thing I did! When I try it without now, its all a blur.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Thank you all for your answers! As soon as I'm home I'll test all your suggestions. I do have a couple of extra questions too:

8. @molevitch - Yes, I normally use glasses as I'm a bit short-sighted but I use contact lenses when I fly. What sort lenses do you mean, glass ones that substituted the originals?! Where did you get them from?

9. Is there a way to decide if I want DCS to launch for Rift or for the standard screen? Right now starting the sim launches it for the Rift thus rendering it in a narrower resolution. Pressing Alt+Enter expands the screen but it's not the same..

10. How do you guys do the "cockpit mouse-clicking"? I still use the standard method but I was curious if there was a way to maybe map a key on the HOTAS and direct the cursor with my head...?

11. Yesteday I added DCS to the Oculus Library manually and "vouched" for it as the Rift software said it came from an unknown source. I was curious if this was the right way to do it or is DCS perhaps redeemable as other sims out there, e.g. Elite Dangerous?

12. Is this normal that there's a 3D Su-27 locked in the hangar just "next" to the main menu DCS 2.1.1? Can I have other aircraft there as well?

Thanks!

Edited by Belphe

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you all for your answers! As soon as I'm home I'll test all your suggestions. I do have a couple of extra questions too:

9. Is there a way to decide if I want DCS to launch for Rift or for the standard screen? Right now starting the sim launches it for the Rift thus rendering it in a narrower resolution. Pressing Alt+Enter expands the screen but it's not the same..

Thanks!

I use Skatezilla's app, VR on/off buttons. A great app with other brilliant features as a bonus :thumbup:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

I'm probably old school, i just start it via cmd line, dcs --force_disable_VR

10. How do you guys do the "cockpit mouse-clicking"? I still use the standard method but I was curious if there was a way to maybe map a key on the HOTAS and direct the cursor with my head...?

Yes I use the mouse to click things.

11. Yesteday I added DCS to the Oculus Library manually and "vouched" for it as the Rift software said it came from an unknown source. I was curious if this was the right way to do it or is DCS perhaps redeemable as other sims out there, e.g. Elite Dangerous?

I personally just launch it via my desktop. AFAIK not a redeemable app since it isnt listed on their store.

12. Is this normal that there's a 3D Su-27 locked in the hangar just "next" to the main menu DCS 2.1.1? Can I have other aircraft there as well?

Yup you can change it, see this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170379

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

That functionality in Oculus Home currently does not work with DCS, at least for most of us. Oculus adds something to the command string that DCS does not like apparently.

I just continue to launch it from the desktop shortcut - have to log in from the desktop now anyway as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also, the Rift lens has a sweet spot. So adjust your straps to make sure you're seeing the clearest picture possible. And use the VR Zoom when necessary.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Again, thank you all so much for your help!

@hansangb: VR Zoom? Tell me more.. :)

Also, don't you find the pilot position on the Hog waaay too far to the front? I tried moving back in the sim (RShift+RCtrl+Num/) but the HUD doesn't scale and the bottom bits of information becomes invisible.. Cab anything be done with that (before VR, when using TrackIR I was simply maping Zoom View axis to my HOTAS slider..)

Thanks

Edited by Belphe

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1