Harrier - WH curves?

javelina1

To the veteran flyers with TM WH's, what sort of curves have you been setting?

As of the moment, I'm using no curves. Trying like heck to trim and keep in place with the S-3 Viking for a refueling. I've managed out of 15 attempts to connect on 4, and get a fueling confirmation with 2.

Just curious....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I've now set mine to 15 (pitch & roll), I was trying without curves initially but this seems to working well for me. Could be a combination of adding curves and early practice w/o curves but I can plug in and tank in one go now. I'm using the KC-130 to practice.

Still struggling with doing a hover landing on a moving ship like Maverick's demo, we'll get there... I hope. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Not to interject, but the trick to refueling has little to do with curves or what's being done with the stick. It's about trimming the Harrier very precisely so you don't have to make any corrections.

The work needs to be done before you get close to the basket.

Trim it out very precisely, get your line to the basket and move forward.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I have been using 0/0/0 curves for years with all modules.

They really aren't needed, and if anything, just make larger deflections less predictable.

A longer lever on the joystick will more accurately mirror the real world situation anyway, so why not invest in a joystick extension instead? It will allow you to make the fine adjustments because for the same angular change at the gimbal, you will be moving your joystick further, giving you finer resolution mechanically with no consequent loss of definition further along the control surface deflection range.

They really aren't needed, and if anything, just make larger deflections less predictable.

A longer lever on the joystick will more accurately mirror the real world situation anyway, so why not invest in a joystick extension instead? It will allow you to make the fine adjustments because for the same angular change at the gimbal, you will be moving your joystick further, giving you finer resolution mechanically with no consequent loss of definition further along the control surface deflection range.

Same thing here. I just usually set a little dead zone to the rudder axis, not to input some unintentional yaw during long flights with my feet on the pedals.

• Like 1

I've now set mine to 15 (pitch & roll), I was trying without curves initially but this seems to working well for me. Could be a combination of adding curves and early practice w/o curves but I can plug in and tank in one go now. I'm using the KC-130 to practice.

Still struggling with doing a hover landing on a moving ship like Maverick's demo, we'll get there... I hope. :joystick:

wow, I'm just the opposite... I have no issue with landing this bad boy on a moving ship. (I'll have more practice with A2AR today....) ;)

Not to interject, but the trick to refueling has little to do with curves or what's being done with the stick. It's about trimming the Harrier very precisely so you don't have to make any corrections.

The work needs to be done before you get close to the basket.

Trim it out very precisely, get your line to the basket and move forward.

Yep, I realize that. I'm bit curious as to what folks may be setting their curves at though.

I understand the key for refueling is trim, trim, and then more trim. I have trim setup on my WH, but somehow I just can't seem to get things really zeroed out. I'll do a little more digging to see what my issue is. :pilotfly:

Same thing here. I just usually set a little dead zone to the rudder axis, not to input some unintentional yaw during long flights with my feet on the pedals.

Hey now, this is a good idea. I tend to rest my feet on my MFG's. thanks! :thumbup:

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I use a side stick setup for my HOTAS since the F-16 is my primary sim :D so a stick extension would be impractical. Curves address that issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

If you have the nozzles on a Hog slider, for me they were a bit to twitchy.

For some fine control to manage it a subtle curve works well.

I had the nozzles on the incr/dcrs slider at first but have better results with the split throttle.

Using one for nozzle (left) and the other for engine thrust.

Haven't gone any further with the harrier than flying around, t/o and lnd though, so dunno if its a practical solution n the long run.

Works well now.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

If you have the nozzles on a Hog slider, for me they were a bit to twitchy.

For some fine control to manage it a subtle curve works well.

I had the nozzles on the incr/dcrs slider at first but have better results with the split throttle.

Using one for nozzle (left) and the other for engine thrust.

Haven't gone any further with the harrier than flying around, t/o and lnd though, so dunno if its a practical solution n the long run.

Works well now.

The real question is when is someone going to come out with a modded handle for the increase/decrease slider for sale, that can be used to replace the standard grey slider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 2 weeks later...
trimming the Harrier very precisely

How is that done? Situation: Trimmed out as good as possible. Plane still goes up slightly without stick input. Trim one click down. Plane goes down. Trying to correct, trim up, plane goes up again. Precise trim? Impossible. Even with 0 curves and a FFB2 stick that totally lacks axis precision compared to the WH (something like 2048 as opposed to 32k IIRC) the stick alone allows for more precision than the trim does. Curves make it easier as well as stick extensions, the latter keep it linear. I'd love to be able to trim in much finer steps though dealwithit.png

This is no AV-8B problem BTW, it's affecting all modules...

I guess it's getting a bit easier once the AFC is implemented though - but now it's a good time to practice without rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg