Throttle position when flying

jason_peters

I notice I tend to be flying at full throttle most of the time (if not all). What is best practice given I would not jump on my car an always be at full throttle. However given the relative low speed of the av8b it does not seem to be a problem to do so

Help me to become a better airman please

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Speed wise harrier doesn't require high RPM setting to reach top speed of around 550 knots.

And you're best not to push the engine above the 102% if not necessary because if you're in that state for a specific amount of time you will damage your engine and the inboard computer will lower the maximum amount of allowed RPM to keep the JPT temps in check, hence you'll have issue landing later on.

The only difference full Throttle setting makes is the acceleration.

If you really need to gain speed quickly punch it as hard as you like but for a short period then lower it below 102% RPM.

Now depending on how long you want to fly you can use 100% rpm to reach about 500 knots then throttle down to about 50 - 60% RPM.

You can still maintain the same speed without wasting fuel.

ho3xpQA.png

9r4zoiW.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=173244&stc=1&d=1512323398

Edited by Rlaxoxo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

I notice I tend to be flying at full throttle most of the time (if not all). What is best practice given I would not jump on my car an always be at full throttle. However given the relative low speed of the av8b it does not seem to be a problem to do so

Help me to become a better airman please

Full trotted will use up a lot of fuel fast. I'll always try to reduce the trotted to 80% after take off and try to maintain a fuleflow between 100-150/min.

Skickat från min SM-T700 via Tapatalk

Full trotted will use up a lot of fuel fast. I'll always try to reduce the trotted to 80% after take off and try to maintain a fuleflow between 100-150/min.

Skickat från min SM-T700 via Tapatalk

I wouldn't use fuel flow to judge a suitable power setting. 80% at 30,000ft requires ~90lbs/min, but it's double that at sea level.

Just bring a tanker along with you. :-) On one mission, I had to refuel twice.

As others have noted, I do cut back on the throttle a bit shortly after takeoff. I go full throttle when I'm the in the 5 D's. (dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge with the SA-8's). :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Is there anywhere where it actually lists out what say 102% percent of engine RPM is? Either in a manual of an MFD display, I've looked and hadn't seen it. I know you can use VSTOL mode and see the percentage but that doesn't help all that much, as I don't fly much beyond takeoffs and approaches in VSTOL mode.

I general I use the engine RPM as my gauge for operation. Anything under 1000 on the dial is certainly safe (I haven't tried really hot weather so caveat emptor), and honestly for most flying right around 900 works great. It'll get you to mach .8-.83 depending on load and altitude and keep you there. Be careful if you roll in with any real altitude, you can be over 550kt TAS real quick with the throttle this far forward. If I'm trying to max range, or just cruising I'll throttle down to 600 or even less and you'll still cruise along nicely, with good fuel flow.

-Jenrick

Is there anywhere where it actually lists out what say 102% percent of engine RPM is? Either in a manual of an MFD display, I've looked and hadn't seen it. I know you can use VSTOL mode and see the percentage but that doesn't help all that much, as I don't fly much beyond takeoffs and approaches in VSTOL mode.

I general I use the engine RPM as my gauge for operation. Anything under 1000 on the dial is certainly safe (I haven't tried really hot weather so caveat emptor), and honestly for most flying right around 900 works great. It'll get you to mach .8-.83 depending on load and altitude and keep you there. Be careful if you roll in with any real altitude, you can be over 550kt TAS real quick with the throttle this far forward. If I'm trying to max range, or just cruising I'll throttle down to 600 or even less and you'll still cruise along nicely, with good fuel flow.

-Jenrick

I seem to recall there being an indicator for rpm % on the engine display page.

All important information of the engine like RPM, ppm, jpt, nozzle position and more can be found right of the UFC. Throttle position is dependent on a lot of factors. Max throttle is the last thing you want to set. For engine live the jpt and the RPM are most important and limits are described in the pocket guide.To develop the habit of keeping the engine RPM below 102% and only exceed the limits if you are in danger helps taking of multiple times with one jet.

For fuel economy I can recommend the natops. Eg max endurance is at 6 alpha with flaps in cruise and about 230 kias.

At high altitudes that's a little bit more than idle RPM to get you around at 400+ tas with 50 ppm.

I take off with the power necessary, establish a good climb rate, adjust power to climb at 2,500 FPM, then reduce power to where I’m consuming between 100 and 120 lbs of fuel per minute. Last CAS mission I did that was about 62 NM away that included gun runs and light armor granted me around 25-27 minutes time on station.

A-10C/C-101/UH-1H/F-15C/L-39/HAWK/Mi-8/A-10A/P-51/AV-8B N/A