First impressions for VR 2.5?

Wolf8312

Try lowering PD to 1.0 and add a little MSAA , see what ya think.

I had a go and saw much the same performance as I do with PD 1.5 and no MSAA. Picture quality is comparable though, what it lacks in clarity it makes up for in clean lines and no shimmer so there's something for everyone.

I had a good mess around last night and raising/lowering graphical options don't have affect FPS like I'd expect, despite FPS dips coinciding with periods of high GPU utilisation, so I'm going to try some of the other suggestions in this thread and delete .lua files etc and see how I get on.

Right now it's all just a bit choppy, it gave me motion sickness for the first time in forever.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

I love it all, Winter has real snow, Autumn looks superb and I am enjoying spring too. All my modules are running really well and I am as happy as can be. Well worth the wait :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy cow! And the Caucasus is even better. Never even imagined it would be this good. Terrified to turn it off now in case I come back and it no longer works the same! It looks absolutely fantastic and the performance seems faultless out in the countryside! I really couldn't go back now! The explosions, and lighting, and colourful sunsets! It waaay exceeds my expectations and does indeed look as good as advertised!

Have been depressed and frustrated all day but I think it just needs tweaking and MSSA and deferred shading together is actually doable!

I would actually go as far to say that the Caucasus is more impressive than Vegas!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Strangest thing is that now deferred shading combined with MSSA x4 actually runs a lot smoother and with more stability than turning it off and just using MSSA x4 alone! PD is 1.2 and 1.4 in steam VR settings at the moment...

My experience before (with DS off) was erratic with spikes and fps drops, stutters and just on the whole a very frustrating experience especially given the fact that I just upgraded all my hardware. It felt as if my new computer had been wiped out and I was back to square one!

I don't think it has anything to do with FPS per say. My FPS may even be lower, I think its just more stable and consistent now...

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Strangest thing is that now deferred shading combined with MSSA x4 actually runs a lot smoother and with more stability than turning it off and just using MSSA x4 alone! PD is 1.2 and 1.4 in steam VR settings at the moment...

Fwiw,

You should use one or the other, not both...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Caucasus looks great, but only if you use deferred shading. Without one it looks worse than 1.5 and worse than Nevada without one. So, we are almost forced to use deferred shading at a price of performance loss :( I wish AA filtering would get optimized in a near future. I think 2x could be less aggressive.

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

First test with oculus touch :D

So how well does it actually work?

Are you still using a HOTAS with the Oculus controllers? Is it accurate, or annoying at all? Will you be using this set up from now into the future? Or is it a very rough around the edges alpha/beta kind of thing?

As I have a Vive I will have to wait for the knuckles I suppose but even they might be too cluncky as I will never give up my HOTAS for motion tracked controllers and the vive wands combined with my hog would be just no!

------------

I have an i7 4770K, 970 & 16GB RAM

I was having crappy FPS (20-30) in Cacauses Map in 2.5 (No problems in Nevada or Normandy).

In another post someone said turning MSAA on to 2x and then setting FXAA in Nvidia Control Panel worked so I gave it a shot.

I'm now getting minimum 45 fps. Not sure why it works but it is for me. Before 2.5 anytime I turned on MSAA my frames would die.

Worth a try anyway. And it looks way better with the AA.

In game

Deferred Shading On

MSAA 2x

AF 8x

All Shadows Flat

In Nvidia CP

AA Mode to Enhance the application settings

FXAA 4X

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have an i7 4770K, 970 & 16GB RAM

I was having crappy FPS (20-30) in Cacauses Map in 2.5 (No problems in Nevada or Normandy).

In another post someone said turning MSAA on to 2x and then setting FXAA in Nvidia Control Panel worked so I gave it a shot.

I'm now getting minimum 45 fps. Not sure why it works but it is for me. Before 2.5 anytime I turned on MSAA my frames would die.

Worth a try anyway. And it looks way better with the AA.

In game

Deferred Shading On

MSAA 2x

AF 8x

All Shadows Flat

In Nvidia CP

AA Mode to Enhance the application settings

FXAA 4X

I really don't think it works to be honest.

I think the game for whatever reason is just suddenly working better for us now but it has nothing to do with the Nvidia control panel settings. I think the devs have just pulled it off, and somehow when we first loaded the game up there were all kinds of conflicting graphics files that were messing up performance. Strangest thing is that MSSA with no DS runs horribly now!

The settings you posted above for your system are pretty high settings by earlier versions of DCS standards especially when giving that MSSA and DS together used to make the game unplayable. Compared to yourself I am only running at 4x MSSA with DS and no AF but doing so on a 1080Ti and an I7-8770k. That's with no input from the nvidia panel for sure as those settings have not been touched...

I do believe that its much better optimized and now MSSA and DS are perfectly possible.

Try turning off the nvidia settings now and see if performance suddenly tanks. Forget the fps counters for a moment as well just see if you can tell the difference.

------------

You can inject some FXAA through NCP, but that is about it when it comes to VR.

Nvidia Control Panel does not currently recognize a VR HMD as a display device.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I was under the same impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

7lWjDiH.png

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

I revisited DCS with 2.5 after a small break. Some nice VR improvements such as touch support but overall not usable for me. Deferred shading looks awful in the rift. MSAA is unusable with DS turned on. Turning off deferred shading looks even worse. The trees end up looking like fluorescent snot. The only way I can get 90fps is if I’m the only aircraft in the mission! Running with ASW causes terrible artifacts in all the helicopters (caused by the reprojection of the rotor shadow), with ASW off The judder makes me sick. Hopefully it’s something they can sort out but for now I’ll pass. Fingers crossed they will focus more on VR performance as the beta progresses.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Odd, Deferred Shading looks stunning in my Rift.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

:thumbup:

That has been my impression as well. I tried extensively both with and without, and prefer it with.

Don B

If I find a gamma setting that makes the world outside the aircraft look natural then my gauges are almost black and I can’t read them. If I adjust gamma for the gauges then oustside is blown out like an over exposed photograph. It does look an awful lot better than HDR mode but I can’t find a setting that looks realistic. It might give stunning screenshots but it does not look ‘real’.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051