You can transfer your 2.2 Open Alpha to 2.5 Open Beta!

Alpenwolf

Download and install DCS Open Alpha from here if you still don't have it:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

Go to the folder where your DCS Open Alpha was installed; something like this:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha

In the DCS World 2 OpenAlpha folder there is a file called: autoupdate (a CFG file, size's about 1 KB). Open this file (for example with Notepad++).

Once the file is open you will see a script of ca. 12 lines. Line number 3 should read: "branch": "openalpha",

Change it to "branch": "openbeta",

Save.

Now go to your DCS 2 OpenAlpha Update and click on it.

You can find that by clicking START, then All Programs, then Eagle Dynamics, then DCS 2 OpenAlpha and then Update DCS 2 OpenAlpha.

That's it!

If you wanna go back from DCS 2.5 OpenBeta to DCS 2 OpenAlpha then simply change the line: "branch": "openbeta", to "branch": "openalpha",

Save and run the updater again. It simply "degrades" your game from DCS 2 OpenBeta to DCS 2 OpenAlpha.

Good luck!

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

So far it seems like you don't need this hack.

Only ned to open cmd in DCS 2.2 Bin folder and use

DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta

• Like 1

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

This! This command should do everything for you.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Didn't work for me... That's why the other way around...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Strange.

But another good thing about your method is that not everybody is comfortable with cmd. It gives them an alternative.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Strange.

But another good thing about your method is that not everybody is comfortable with cmd. It gives them an alternative.

I think, I know why it didn't work for me. Complicated. Never mind. I always mess up my computer experimenting here and there XD but yeah, it should work!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I needed to put dot backslash before the dcs_updater.exe line for it to work.

Why won't a backslash show up in my post?

Backslash or not. Should work either way.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I needed to put dot backslash before the dcs_updater.exe line for it to work.

Why won't a backslash show up in my post?

You're using the Windows Power Shell instead of the Windows Command Prompt (CMD). Use the CMD and you won't need a dot backslash. Power Shell is more complex and powerful, but CMD is sufficent for our purposes.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Nice idea, worked like a charm. The folder name is not being changed though, still reads ''DCS World 2 OpenAlpha'', the same goes for the settings inside the Saved Games folder on my systems drive.

Did you guys change the name per registry or something?

Nice idea, worked like a charm. The folder name is not being changed though, still reads ''DCS World 2 OpenAlpha'', the same goes for the settings inside the Saved Games folder on my systems drive.

Did you guys change the name per registry or something?

You can just leave it be. It doesn't matter what the folder name is as long as it matches the path in the registry. So if you want to change it you would have to change it in the registry as well.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thats probably the whole reason why are supposed to update from 1.5.8OB only...so that the name for the future is correct and people don't need to mess around with names in the registry. Obviously the updater is smart enough to find all nedded files on a system and build the proper version in the folder one has run cmd or to which the orginal updater is linking to.

By the way: does switching between beta and release also (once 2.5 release is live) also change the main folder name?

Go to the folder where your DCS Open Alpha was installed; something like this:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha

In the DCS World 2 OpenAlpha folder there is a file called: autoupdate (a CFG file, size's about 1 KB). Open this file (for example with Notepad++).

Once the file is open you will see a script of ca. 12 lines. Line number 3 should read: "branch": "openalpha",

Change it to "branch": "openbeta",

Save.

Now go to your DCS 2 OpenAlpha Update and click on it.

You can find that by clicking START, then All Programs, then Eagle Dynamics, then DCS 2 OpenAlpha and then Update DCS 2 OpenAlpha.

That's it!

If you wanna go back from DCS 2.5 OpenBeta to DCS 2 OpenAlpha then simply change the line: "branch": "openbeta", to "branch": "openalpha",

Save and run the updater again. It simply "degrades" your game from DCS 2 OpenBeta to DCS 2 OpenAlpha.

Good luck!

I did this and it started to update. Should I change the lines back after the update?

dcs_updater.exe update @openbeta

Will force update to Open Beta Branch.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thats probably the whole reason why are supposed to update from 1.5.8OB only...so that the name for the future is correct and people don't need to mess around with names in the registry. Obviously the updater is smart enough to find all nedded files on a system and build the proper version in the folder one has run cmd or to which the orginal updater is linking to.

By the way: does switching between beta and release also (once 2.5 release is live) also change the main folder name?

That should happen automatically. You might wanna keep DCS 2.5 OB though and just update your DCS 1.5.8 to the release version once available. In the future when ED releases any updates they might wanna allow them for OB first. So having the OB version gives you 2 options.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Thanks for this Alpenwolf! Your method is working for me after MANY attempts to update to 2.5 via CMD/powershell (which all failed).

Now updating 2.2 to 2.5! :pilotfly:

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/