got me a little more RAM

I have 8 atm, would like to know if you have noticed any solid improvement?

I'm just going to test it on the settings I had with 8 and let you know if there is any improvement.

After that i'll bump up the preload.

I don't know if its placebo but my system feels a lot snappier anyway so it was worth the upgrade in that respect.

Ok i'm doing the instant mission in a huey "easy" ground attack in kavkaz

Without changing any settings it is a lot more fluid. I don't want to look at the frame rate because its running very well and I don't want to break it in my mind. In this case with this aircraft at that time height 20 other AI etc. I am happy with the improvement. Previously I had Little stutters, they seem to have gone. I notice we have very similar hardware yours is slightly better than mine.

i5 6400

16gb (was 8)

250 gb ssd

gtx 1050 ti (4gb)

Also I've got PS3 head tracking track clip etc.

...Without changing any settings it is a lot more fluid. I don't want to look at the frame rate because its running very well and I don't want to break it in my mind...

If that's the case, I have this USB stick that when plugged into a USB 3.0 port will give you 10% more FPS and sharper anti-aliasing than 8XMSAA. It's yours for only $100. :shifty:

I could see how moving past 8GB would decrease some stutters. I have 16GB and normally I see a usage between 8 and 12GB, so that little bit extra might make a difference.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

I could see how moving past 8GB would decrease some stutters. I have 16GB and normally I see a usage between 8 and 12GB, so that little bit extra might make a difference.

I upgraded to 24GB today. Load times are much better (from SSD).

What many people don't understand is how data needs to be loaded off of RAM back to the HDD. This takes a lot of times and really slows down loading and reloading.

Not sure if 24GB is much better than 16GB for DCS, but I get the feeling it might be.

A little further testing:

I loaded a 24 player multiplayer server - 107th: Through the Inferno. My (overall, not task manager DCS) RAM usage went up to around 12GB on medium / low textures. I used F2 to look at a number of planes and different areas of the map and jumped into a few different air frames. It ended up around 16GB. (Textures medium, Terrain low, Water low)

Maxed texture size, my RAM peaked at around 23GB before DCS went funny and crashed. Ram usage dropped down to around 3GB. (Textures high, Terrain high, Water medium)

Restarted. It then asked me to re-enter my Combined Ops key after restarting, but anyway... Loading the same server with high-res textures and spawning in an F-5E-3 took me to 19.5GB.

Then jumped into KA-50, Mi-8, and AJS-37 took me over 20GB. Using F2 to look around the map took me up to 23GB.

Now I'm a little worried 24GB is not enough.

I'm pretty sure spawning the MiG-21Bis would bring me over 24GB (as that really used to kill my memory).

So 16GB for single player, 24GB+ for mult with high-res textures.

You can play with less, but it isn't always smooth due to offloading from RAM to hdd. As long as nobody is spawning in new aircraft, you are generally alright. But if someone joins in a new air frame, you could be left with up to around ten seconds (MiG-21 used to do this to me all the time) where you can't do anything. If you are flying near the ground, you are dead.

Results:

Loading still takes ages on the first load

Quitting is instant. My drive no longer has to do loads of work before DCS can shut down.

Reloading seem much faster.

HDD isn't working as hard.

Other settings:

Grass / Clutter 600 (this should only hit fps)

Trees 45 (as above?)

Preload 59128 (no specific reason for that setting, but seems smooth)

I'm running full screen windowed.

My advice for DCS players:

If you have 8GB, upgrade to 24. You could always get rid of the 8GB and switch it for another 16GB later if you have the money and feel the need.

If you have 16GB, upgrade to 32.

Edited by Slazi

okay the extra ram will certainly improve windows as it will tend to use its page file less and load more stuff into ram for me dcs pretty much uses maybe 6 to 8 gb of ram. higher textures tends to use more vram, for me thats up to about 8ish gb of vram.

so maybe your extra ram helps overall performance and makes a difference. ymmv however just enjoy it.:)

again sorry for the lower case windows ate my usb,... :cry:

<edit>

normally my rig runs about 12gb to 15gb with dcs vr, chrome, teamspeak and some other stuff running, hence why you might see some overall improvement.

Edited by FragBum
<edit>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

okay the extra ram will certainly improve windows as it will tend to use its page file less and load more stuff into ram for me dcs pretty much uses maybe 6 to 8 gb of ram. higher textures tends to use more vram, for me thats up to about 8ish gb of vram.

so maybe your extra ram helps overall performance and makes a difference. ymmv however just enjoy it.:)

again sorry for the lower case windows ate my usb,... :cry:

<edit>

normally my rig runs about 12gb to 15gb with dcs vr, chrome, teamspeak and some other stuff running, hence why you might see some overall improvement.

16GB should be the "middle" thing and 24-32GB should be called "ambitious".

Yes, you can use DCS with only 8GB, but limited expectations and some MP wont even load before it crashes, add a HDD and you are screwed before you even took off.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

My computer is "Multirole" not only for DCS, I can see a difference in the overall performance of the computer so for me the 2 weeks when i didn't go for a beer were worth it. If that puts it into perspective when deliberating going from 8 to 16 gb.

I went for a beer

If that's the case, I have this USB stick that when plugged into a USB 3.0 port will give you 10% more FPS and sharper anti-aliasing than 8XMSAA. It's yours for only $100. :shifty:

Interesting! book.gif

I loaded a 24 player multiplayer server - 107th: Through the Inferno. My (overall, not task manager DCS) RAM usage went up to around 12GB on medium / low textures. I used F2 to look at a number of planes and different areas of the map and jumped into a few different air frames. It ended up around 16GB. (Textures medium, Terrain low, Water low)

Maxed texture size, my RAM peaked at around 23GB before DCS went funny and crashed. Ram usage dropped down to around 3GB. (Textures high, Terrain high, Water medium)

Restarted. It then asked me to re-enter my Combined Ops key after restarting, but anyway... Loading the same server with high-res textures and spawning in an F-5E-3 took me to 19.5GB.

Then jumped into KA-50, Mi-8, and AJS-37 took me over 20GB. Using F2 to look around the map took me up to 23GB.

I'm pretty sure spawning the MiG-21Bis would bring me over 24GB (as that really used to kill my memory).

You can play with less, but it isn't always smooth due to offloading from RAM to hdd. As long as nobody is spawning in new aircraft, you are generally alright. But if someone joins in a new air frame, you could be left with up to around ten seconds (MiG-21 used to do this to me all the time) where you can't do anything. If you are flying near the ground, you are dead.

Results:

Quitting is instant. My drive no longer has to do loads of work before DCS can shut down.

Other settings:

Trees 45 (as above?)

If you have 8GB, upgrade to 24. You could always get rid of the 8GB and switch it for another 16GB later if you have the money and feel the need.

DCS 2.5 currently has a memory leak. Don't upgrade RAM at all.

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

Interesting! book.gif

DCS 2.5 currently has a memory leak. Don't upgrade RAM at all.

I have not experienced memory leak with 2.5 perhaps different OS and modules and or any number of combinations. I think you'll find win 10 will benefit from at least 16GB of ram.

With DCS using between 5 and maybe 8GB, other apps like chrome or ie being somewhat memory hogs will quickly get windows paging frantically I would consider 16GB a good choice overall. This is not so much whats needed to run DCS but more to keep windows from micro managing its page file.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Results:

Other settings:

Trees 45 (as above?)

I updated from 16 to 32 and I am having the same loading time and the same stutters when the game needs to load explosion textures. So I will refund it because 16 GB cost 200$ and DCS with 32GB gives you 0 performance improve.

P.S: I am launching DCS from a Samsung 960 EVO M.2

P.S.2 You are running DCS from a HDD, please buy a SSD, it will be cheaper and you will be crazy faster.

Edited by Icebeat

I updated from 16 to 32 and I am having the same loading time and the same stutters when the game needs to load explosion textures. So I will refund it because 16 GB cost 200$ and DCS with 32GB gives you 0 performance improve.

P.S: I am launching DCS from a Samsung 960 EVO M.2

P.S.2 You are running DCS from a HDD, please buy a SSD, it will be cheaper and you will be crazy faster.

I'm on an SSD. I have no stutters loading explosions.

Do you have a decent CPU?