Oculus Rift or Vive

Oculus Rift or Vive  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift or Vive

Rift user here and happy with it, For most of us it would be difficult to compare as not that many would have the luxury of having both for a fair comparison. However it would seem the Rift is preferred for simming over Vive just going on the nubers on MP servers.

Problem is that's just an opinion :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

You aren't considering any of the Windows Mixed Reality HMD's? I started from scratch, and went with the Samsung Odyssey, which is currently discounted to $399, complete, because of the higher resolution than either the Rift or the Vive, and the inside-out tracking (which I actually like).

The resolution is identical to the yet-to-be-released Vive Pro (2x1440x1600) and AMOLED screens.

So far, the thing has been superb, and I'm an absolute VR beginner.

I like the inside-out tracking, and even if I was worried about room scale not being as good as the Vive or Rift, this is a non-issue, since 95% of my VR simming will be flying or driving titles.

I'm running an i7-7700 @ 4.5Ghz with 32GB of RAM and a GTX 1080 (not ti) GPU. Smooth as silk

Edited by dmwierz

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

rift because its cheap.

even with the touch controllers which are better than the vive's controllers.

and i have had no issues with room scale and 2 sensors.

ive noticed most people are loath to move their feet in room scale.

although i have one friend who instantly started trying to run away from monsters and was falling all over my furniture. which was hilarious. my sides literally hurt for days..

I've never split my sides laughing before.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

You aren't considering any of the Windows Mixed Reality HMD's? I started from scratch, and went with the Samsung Odyssey, which is currently discounted to $399, complete, because of the higher resolution than either the Rift or the Vive, and the inside-out tracking (which I actually like).

The resolution is identical to the yet-to-be-released Vive Pro (2x1440x1600) and AMOLED screens.

So far, the thing has been superb, and I'm an absolute VR beginner.

I like the inside-out tracking, and even if I was worried about room scale not being as good as the Vive or Rift, this is a non-issue, since 95% of my VR simming will be flying or driving titles.

I'm running an i7-7700 @ 4.5Ghz with 32GB of RAM and a GTX 1080 (not ti) GPU. Smooth as silk

I actually considered this when it came out. Have you been able to compare it to Vive and rift? When I tried one in the store I was unimpressed but it may have had a lot to do with uninformed sales people who could barely work it. They had to plug and unplug it many times for it to work and the demos were horrendous. The only decent one was a mars landing demo but it was essentially a movie with no interaction.

Still the price was nice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many comparison threads in the VR subthread. I've used all three for DCS (Rift, Odyssey, Vive).

net/net is

DCS and Odyssey are both comfortable. Vive with original three corded HMD is not as comforable.

Clarity wise, Rift and Odyssey were about the same (I don't have 20/20 vision but was wearing glasses) with Vive a close second.

ASW makes Rift much more smooth.

Tracking wise, Vive wins, Rift is right behind, and Odyssey little behind Rift.

But for DCS purposes, Rift and Vive are about the same. Vive clearly has better tracking for Room VR.

Installation wise, Vive's is the most involved (the cubes need power), Rift then Odyssey.

All are capable of flying DCS.

Oh, and of course Rift prices are way lower right now.

Edited by hansangb
added cost

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

From my perosnal point of view, as someone that owns a Rift, and has used the Vive.

Comfort is subjective, I wear glasses,a nd find the Vive more comfy.

Tracking - Vive, hands down, if oyu want to do room scale. If not, just by a Rift and be done with it. The 2x (or 3 x) cameras for the Rift are all USB power, and it is an epic pain in th eproverbial have all those USB cables all over the place. The Lighthouse is a much smarter set up, and no one is likely to be monitoring you (for the conspiracy theorists out there).

The Rift has better controls, but not that much better.

If I were to buy now, though, I’d be looking at the mixed reality headsets, whatever the internal tracking lacks in accuracy in comparison tot he Rift of Vive, would more than be made up for by lack of having to set up cameras or lighthouse thingies.. I’d probably would also wait for the new Vive to pop up.

Z...

The Vive is not worth considering. It's worse than both the Rift and Odyssey in every way imaginable save for room scale tracking and yet far more expensive because... reasons. I bought a Rift last summer and about a month ago gave the Odyssey a try. I ended up returning the Odyssey though due to poor image quality compared to the Rift. It is possible I got a dud though since I seem to be the only one who had that issue.

Comfort wise, I find the Rift better than the Odyssey for extended periods as a glasses user. The Odyssey is definitely more convenient to put on and takeoff with glasses, but it would irritate my forehead after about 30 minutes (weight + skin can't breath). The Rift can be worn for hours comfortably. Another aspect is the sound quality. The headphones on the Rift are nothing special, but adequate. The Samsung has good drivers in the headphones, but they have far too much foam on them and too little pressure on the ears. The result is there is zero base on them unless you squish them against your ears with a bungee cord or something.

Edit: Another big point for the Rift is smoothness. With the Rift, if you can't hold 90 fps, you can use ASW to smooth tracking or simply lock the framerate to 45 fps by hitting ctrl + numpad 2. In my day with the Odyssey, I didn't find any such feature. Result is the fps would bounce all over the place, which did take away from it substantially.

Edited by BeastyBaiter

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.