DCS 2.5 doesn't even try to start

HarryTheOwlcat

When I try to launch DCS 2.5, it will momentarily show up in the task manager and then disappear. I have reinstalled the entire game multiple times and done multiple repairs, and I have also modified my saved games folder. Nothing has worked and I can't find anything else with a similar issue. It doesn't create any new folders, and all my drivers are up to date. It doesn't create a log.

All of my drivers are up to date, and my GPU (GTX 970m) is DX11/12 compatible.

Some specs:

Windows 10 Home

Intel Core i7-4710MQ

nvidia GTX 970m

• ED Team

Hi and welcome to the forum

please see my crash guide below

basically a cleanup and repair and renaming your dcs folder in saved games.

if you still have no joy attach your dcs.log so we can take a look ( guide in my signature below )

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

Seems like you are running a laptop.

make sure you have supported drivers for Audio and GPU installed.

Can you run any other demanding game on that machine ?

Running a DxDiag might help

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Sapphire  Nitro+ 7800XT - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

.....also make sure you are running with Admin rights.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

I've done multiple repairs/cleanups. I've reinstalled 3 times. I've modified the saved games folder. I've also already tried with admin rights. My laptop can run demanding games, it's been running DCS 1.5/2.2 fine and can run games like GTA 5 at max settings. It doesn't create a log when I start it or run from the "Run" inside the DCS install directory. I'll attach a dxdiag.

DxDiag.txt

• ED Team

Hi

please attach your dcs.log

I have a guide in my signature.

My guess would be your 970m is not being used and dcs is trying to use the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 which is not supported.

but to be sure I would need to see the dcs.log

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

Hi

please attach your dcs.log

I have a guide in my signature.

My guess would be your 970m is not being used and dcs is trying to use the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 which is not supported.

but to be sure I would need to see the dcs.log

thanks

No, it's not using the integrated graphics, I've made sure to try to start it with my 970m. I've also already said it doesn't create a log or a new folder in Saved Games.

• ED Team
No, it's not using the integrated graphics, I've made sure to try to start it with my 970m. I've also already said it doesn't create a log or a new folder in Saved Games.

If it is not creating a log something is preventing it from starting.

Do you use any antivirus or security that maybe preventing it from starting?

Also ensure windows is up to date and you have this installed

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Can you launch any other demanding game, either DirectX or OpenGL,Vulkan, whatever ?

It really looks like something crucial stops DCS right at the start. Those things are limited.

GPU driver

Audio driver

MS Runtimes ( see link from BigNewy)

VirusScanners going nuts

those are the 4 highlights

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Sapphire  Nitro+ 7800XT - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Firewall open for DCS?

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Can you launch any other demanding game, either DirectX or OpenGL,Vulkan, whatever ?

It really looks like something crucial stops DCS right at the start. Those things are limited.

GPU driver

Audio driver

MS Runtimes ( see link from BigNewy)

VirusScanners going nuts

those are the 4 highlights

Yes, these are all up to date. Still no luck. I've added exceptions to firewall too, and antivirus doesn't seem to be doing anything to it. And yes, my laptop can run stuff like GTA 5/War Thunder, even older versions of DCS just fine. Also I already had that redistributable.

Damn,

redoing it all then just for DCS is rather a "last resort" thing.

Still, I have seen lots of Antivirus things in my IT life, deinstall it and try again. There are not many drivers that have such a deep low level access to I/O then filter drivers for scanners.

It doesnt even need to block it completely to error out in many cases, holding it back too long for scanning can cause the issue too ( online signature verification etc.. )

Since your issue is rather unique, you need a different approach then " my game stutters".

Yes, these are all up to date. Still no luck. I've added exceptions to firewall too, and antivirus doesn't seem to be doing anything to it. And yes, my laptop can run stuff like GTA 5/War Thunder, even older versions of DCS just fine. Also I already had that redistributable.

How much free HD space do you have?

Its clearly not using your 970m. Find a way to disable onboard graphics and enable 970.

My money is on the antivirus as well. If you want to be certain, just deinstall, even if only temporarily.

Else...

If you open taskmanager whilst starting dcs. Does it show the process or nothing at all?

Did you start the executable directly from the game folder in explorer?

Do you perhaps have multiple folders with DCS files? Try searching your drive for dcs.exe (believe thats the name)

Did you move or rename the folder with Dcs? Check if the registry entry for dcs points to the correct folder.

My money is on the antivirus as well. If you want to be certain, just deinstall, even if only temporarily.

Else...

If you open taskmanager whilst starting dcs. Does it show the process or nothing at all?

Did you start the executable directly from the game folder in explorer?

Do you perhaps have multiple folders with DCS files? Try searching your drive for dcs.exe (believe thats the name)

Did you move or rename the folder with Dcs? Check if the registry entry for dcs points to the correct folder.

Removing antivirus didn't do anything, also taskmanager shows it peak up to 2gb ram and then suddenly die and go back to 0.1 mb and 0% cpu. It's definitely starting on my 970m.

Also, I already tried doing some registry edit to remove my activations, but that stuff hasn't been updated for years and I don't want to screw it all up.

Ok, so the process starts, but then terminates for some reason.

That's difficult to troubleshoot without inside information on what it's trying to do.

To be honest, the programmers should add some error messages on crash for what has failed. DCS does need some c++ runtimes.

You're not having multiple DCS folders and try to launch from an old 1.5 backup or something like that?

Can't really think of anything else, sorry.

Removing antivirus didn't do anything, also taskmanager shows it peak up to 2gb ram and then suddenly die and go back to 0.1 mb and 0% cpu. It's definitely starting on my 970m.

Also, I already tried doing some registry edit to remove my activations, but that stuff hasn't been updated for years and I don't want to screw it all up.

I ask again. How much free HD Space do you have? The reason why I ask is that I had the same problem two times, but with other games. I had to have the same free space as the game it self used before it would start.

Edited by Havremonster

You haven’t modifyed any .lua files right? I tried to modify the countries.lua file and after that v.2.5 wolud not start and I had to repair the game. My game did exactly the same thing as you mention above.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

I ask again. How much free HD Space do you have? The reason why I ask is that I had the same problem two times, but with other games. I had to have the same free space as the game it self used before it would start.

I had 15gb or so free, and cleared it to 70gb, and the problem is still there.

I don't have any lua files modified, I've done a ton of repairs too.

• 2 weeks later...