Super Bug....

EricJ

Much as I love the Su-33, I'm starting to like the Super Bug alot, and well, was seriously considering buying a 3DSMAX model and asking permission to use. Only thing is that A) I have 3DSMAX 3.1 and B) don't have any experience in modelling aircraft. So my real question is, if I spend the money will somebody spend the time to replace the Su-33 with the Super Hornet?

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrm... is that a good hint? If that's the case.. then sure :)

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did.... so anybody interested?

yours.jpg

Erm yeah, I bought this model, not actually did it unfortunately... so.....

haha that's a good point :D, thanks!

OohRah.

Guess what Mr. Johnson is asking is if someone would be willing to change the format from .3ds to .lom to replace the current Su-33 in-game. Im certain someone will be around to get this one done.

Edit: I saw your screenshots at CombatAce..May I add my .02$ as its probably gonna be worth that much at the most?

Another edit: nvm I just realized you purchased the model and not 3dsMax.

HECKYEA! MAJOR superbug fan here, and I'm pleased to see that you've went with the F/A-18F instead of the F/A-18E.

Now are you just waiting for someone to convert it ingame for you, or what stage are you at?

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

:D It's not actually MARPAT (markings are actually that of VF(A)-213 "Black Lions").... it's pretty much the same pattern applied to the Tomcats (Dark Ghost Grey), and looks alot better in LOMAC than in WoE, much better rendering. But yeah, I changed after the Ubi Forums. I figure a new name, face so to speak everywhere else would help. I'm still a moderater there, but haven't been there in ages. I figured the hell I caused, I should become another common poster again, sorta to humble myself back, but I kept the old handle when I logged into Combatace long ago... But yeah I figured I'd just lurk as I'm really waiting for BS to come around to maybe get back into the tutorial stuff. So much is expected out of this one, so I'm on a wait-and-see approach.

Yes, the model is in .max format and yes, if there's any plane I'd replace my beloved Su-33 with, is this. I love the Tomcat, but after a bit of flying with it in WoE (USAFMTL sent me a real crappy one) it's been my A+ A2G aircraft so it should be different in LOMAC, but IMO better in some cases due to the better FM than the less fidelity one in WoE, and skinning opportunities... And yes Disso I think the -F looks alot better, I've always liked two-seaters in some cases, and this one qualifies. There's an E also on TurboSquid, but right now one thing at a time I guess..

As for the stage... it's in .max format. The screenie previous was one for Combatace, as initially I was intending to put that in Wings Over Europe after no joy here. Well one thing leads to another, and somebody shows me a better model (much cleaner than the one here, but that's after being modified for WOE) so I go with him. I got the original file from TurboSquid so this one is more like a "hey would you mind?". It's paid for, and just taking up space.

Yes, the model is in .max format and yes, if there's any plane I'd replace my beloved Su-33 with, is this. I love the Tomcat, but after a bit of flying with it in WoE (USAFMTL sent me a real crappy one) it's been my A+ A2G aircraft so it should be different in LOMAC, but IMO better in some cases due to the better FM than the less fidelity one in WoE, and skinning opportunities... And yes Disso I think the -F looks alot better, I've always liked two-seaters in some cases, and this one qualifies. There's an E also on TurboSquid, but right now one thing at a time I guess..

As for the stage... it's in .max format. The screenie previous was one for Combatace, as initially I was intending to put that in Wings Over Europe after no joy here. Well one thing leads to another, and somebody shows me a better model (much cleaner than the one here, but that's after being modified for WOE) so I go with him. I got the original file from TurboSquid so this one is more like a "hey would you mind?". It's paid for, and just taking up space.

I was gonna say something about the screenshots you posted over there....that model looked horrible (better than I could have done) as it was way out of proportions.

Yeah it's crap and USAFMTL was very clear on that (and it's of course obvious) so the pics that Marcfighter posted are definitely better. As far as actual flight it's right there with the Tomcat and Su-33 so I'm set on the current settings. The new model is going to require a new FM but more than likely I'll have to set it as it is now, as really it just needs a much better model.

He's doing allright, he's had some pins inserted his back so he's just hanging out at home. But.... I think we're getting confused on skins.... I don't remember an ACU patterned skin ever done by me, somebody else I think?.... Oh no the digital pattern was done by somebody else, you can get it on the virtual JaboG site, I don't remember who did that one since I really don't have the patience for some reason for digital patterns...

Yeah no problems man, and he's been on convalescent leave for awhile, and recently got a month extra, so he's chillin like a real villian. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the file is in MAX2 format, so conversion shouldn't be too difficult.... :) So seriously if anybody's interested, PM me, and I'll send it over. There's a lot of issues with somebody buying a model and the issues associated wiht it. So far I got MAX9 trial version, and since the plugin for LO is for MAX7, even if I had some skillz (which isn't much right now, still shaking some of the rust off) I wouldn't be able to insert it, which is why I'm asking. I've done plenty of modelling, just that software constraints has me halted.

Yeah I've already done the testing earlier, and quite frankly haven't been too interested in getting back into it... Thing is IK is right, I'm fixing to move to Fort Hood late next month, so while I do got plenty of free time, I'm just hanging out for a bit, and don't want to commit myself to it when email contact or internet access won't be as constant for awhile. Once I get more of an idea I may ask again, and then again, I didn't do as much as most believe. Some procrastination and a deployment does it to you, so I kinda just fell out of the loop of things. I maintain contact (spotty) with some people, but overall I'm just like most other posters, just another guy. USAFMTL has bugged me about it, but I told him the same on the issue. Then again I don't know if my NDA is still good or not and as mentioned, haven't bothered asking either, but I act as it's still valid, and quite confident it is.

But thanks for the recommendation :thumbsup:

How "big"(polys) is the model Eric? :)

Anyway, converting the model from .max to .lom format is quickly done, but there are *many* animations that have to be done in order for it to "work" properly in the game.

I can do the more basic animations and convert it to .lom format for you, so you can get a look at "in-game", but I don't have the time for the "full deal" and there are also lots of things I don't know how to do yet :) .

JJ

Well check your PM ;) I figure the work you do can be helped along (texture map, etc) by somebody else, kinda like a project :). I'll have to send it along and you find out, I'm clueless but it's not a low poly one...

I've been to Hood before (98-02) so I'm sure it hasn't changed much, and people I've talked to say it hasn't much, so it's nothing new unfortunately. Then again familiarity isn't bad either :)

Well check your PM ;)

Ok :) .

I figure the work you do can be helped along (texture map, etc)..

Yeah you would have to get someone else to do texture mapping - I have no idea on how to do that :) .

....by somebody else, kinda like a project :).

Yes that could be a solution :) .

I'll have to send it along and you find out, I'm clueless but it's not a low poly one...

Hehe ok I will check it out :)

JJ

Very nice model Eric! :)

The original model is some 150.000 polygons(with landing gear). It doesn't matter in terms of converting it to .lom, but game performance wise it is too much - around 50k should be the maximum for Lock-on. The "watered down" version is some 26.000 polys and well within that limit(I think it is roughly the same as the F-18C in Lock-on).....and still looks great(good job).

The original model is already fully mapped and textured, but it looks like it is using bump mapping, which AFAIK doesn't work in Lock-on(at least my experience is that it causes the model to appear transparent in the game). So this is something to consider when texturing the optimised version.

I can try re-orienting, scaling it, do a couple of basic animations and then convert it to .lom so you can get a look at in-game :) .

JJ

:thumbsup:

Hey Eric...quick question for you. I have a bud that was (or still is) in the Army and pretty much lost contact with him after he went to Kuwait back in '03. Any ideas how I might be able to locate him?

Well AKO if you got it, other than that not sure, unless you know his unit...

As far as the poly reduction... no it wasn't me really, I got a project started for Wings of Europe, and I sent it to one person, who did all the work as far as reducing polys and sorts, I have no real experience, and the most was back then doing guns... so a guy named "capun" did it, not me. Yeah I like the model myself, but as said, Mesh Factory did it, so it was really the best choice. And yes, it does have bump mapping, there should be a generic texture (I don't think Wings Over Europe has bump mapping either, or I highly doubt it..) associated with the optimized version so whenever somebody can map a texture canvas, we can attack it when it comes to that point...

Additionally hitman_214th, if you do have his name, PM me it and I'll look it up on AKO if you don't have access. Plus his unit may help too..