Question on flight model

jason_peters

Hi

Yesterday (v2.51) I was flying the harrier and was turning at 45 degree dive and 45 degree bank - not fully in control if truth be told. I managed to level off at teee top hight still doing a little over 200 knots but then the plane would not pull up. It just struggles with all controls and then crashed into the trees

I would have thought at 200+ knots it should have pulled up or would the previously semi uncontrolled flight impact that ability??

Flaps at auto; nozzles fully back

Just seemed odd behaviour so though I’d see if anyone else experienced that or you can tell me why this happened

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

I must admit the flight model has seemed very odd to me since going to 2.5.1

I don't understand enough about aerodynamics or flight models to explain it very well, but what the OP describes feels familiar. It feels like severe loss of authority between 200 and 300 kts, one wing drops, aircraft sinks. I will try to repeat it and find a better way of describing it. It's not a complaint, I know this is still in development, but it does seem to have changed from 2.5 to 2.5.1

P

I can confirm I've seen weird flight behavior under 300 knots. I just got the module tho so I don't know how it was before I just thought that was normal. at low speeds with risk of hitting trees I've just been throwing the nozzle down to 60-82 degrees to get that elevation and clear the trees and then quickly dropping back to 0 degrees. some thrust vectoring if you will.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

i actually noticed this the other day too. i was going around 270 kias and, as embarrassing as it is to say, ran into a mountain. :doh: i saw it coming and tried to pull up (gently) but couldn't get any altitude but luckily i had time to eject.

thought it was just me being a bad pilot (even though im a GREAT pilot)

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

I may be wrong but it feels to me like the Harrier has two flight models. One for slow flight and one for flight at speed and that it interpolates between them depending on the airspeed. What's more the "fast" flight model feels and behaves a lot like the older DCS SFM.

Again, I may be incorrect but I suspect that the Harrier flight model is still very much in Alpha at the moment with possibly the slow flight / hover part being more developed than the fast flight part.

As for not being able to raise the nose at 270 kts that sounds very suspicious to me. Unless you have a control surface failure that's way above the speed you would need to pull up with only gentle stick pressure.