Movie making tutorial #1: How to make a dogfight movie

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Regarding the jet sounds, there are a couple of jet sounds here:

www.therecordist.com

BUT, i must tell you, that these sounds are pretty much already USED up. I've used these sounds in many of my previous movies, and other movie makers has also used these sounds, so they're not very "unique".

But the other method to gather jet sounds is just to record the sounds from airshow movies and stuff :)

no need to overdub because with my audio mod its fantastic.

• ED Team
no need to overdub because with my audio mod its fantastic.

Your mod may be good, but nothing can ever beat real-life sound effects, or sounds custom designed for certain scenes. :)

Edited by Glowing_Amraam

• 6 months later...
Your mod may be good, but nothing can ever beat real-life sound effects, or sounds custom designed for certain scenes. :)

As such, Glamraam, would you kindly explain how to get the realistic military AN/PRC radio beep and chatter effect using our own voices? My voice I can change to become blunt for sluggish male effect.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• ED Team
As such, Glamraam, would you kindly explain how to get the realistic military AN/PRC radio beep and chatter effect using our own voices? My voice I can change to become blunt for sluggish male effect.

Well, I've never done anything like that myself. But I'd first find some recordings of how you want it to sound like, to use as reference. Then you need the audio program/software to add the "effects" etc, such as distorting your voice. Sony Vegas has some built-in sound fx options, for this purpose, but i haven't messed around with all the different options, since ive never done it myself.

One "shortcut" would be to maybe record your voice with your cellphone, then play it back near a mic and record it onto your pc. I've even heard people using walkitalkies to make their voices sound like they're talking through a radio. :P

I'm sure there are alot of different ways to achieve the effect, but for me, personally, I've never done it myself, so I'm guessing someone else here could help you with that, or fill you in on how to do it. And if not, you could try googling it. :)

Edited by Glowing_Amraam

There is a plugin for Teamspeak called something like walkie talkie. It does a pretty good job making static sounds and "beeps". It should be possible to record your own voice :)

• Like 1

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

There is a plugin for Teamspeak called something like walkie talkie. It does a pretty good job making static sounds and "beeps". It should be possible to record your own voice :)

Interesting went to TS site found many addon's plugin's but not this " Walkie Talkie " one..you have a link..??

:thumbup:

Edited..never mind found it..

Edited by Double_D

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/?lang=en it's free) to make your voice sound as if it is transmitted by a radio.

After installing Audacity, load your recorded file, then effects---->equalizer. Then you just change that line randomly, so it becomes some sort of heart-beat graph if you know what I mean.

A short example @ 1:44 where I say 'three taxi':

To make it more realistic you could add some beeps and real radio chatter in your video editing program. But with just Audacity you can already achieve a good result.

• Like 1

<==DCS Flaming Cliffs 3: Operation Grand Slam

<==Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 Tribute

I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/?lang=en it's free) to make your voice sound as if it is transmitted by a radio.

After installing Audacity, load your recorded file, then effects---->equalizer. Then you just change that line randomly, so it becomes some sort of heart-beat graph if you know what I mean.

To make it more realistic you could add some beeps and real radio chatter in your video editing program. But with just Audacity you can already achieve a good result.

Hey Thanks Slamraamproductions...just tested it and sounds fantastic...:thumbup:

[/Table]

Interesting went to TS site found many addon's plugin's but not this " Walkie Talkie " one..you have a link..??

:thumbup:

Edited..never mind found it..

Well I guess this amazing plugin is dead or outdated...but anyway here is the link

http://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/plugins/miscellaneous/WalkieTalkie.html

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

Well I guess this amazing plugin is dead or outdated...but anyway here is the link

http://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/plugins/miscellaneous/WalkieTalkie.html

Thanks I found it but just trying to figure out how to insert it..but also the other plugin..Audacity..works just fine for this also did a test works great..

Thanks..:thumbup:

[/Table]

A short example @ 1:44 where I say 'three taxi':

Great Video :thumbup:

ps.: SlamRaam, next time PMs me if you need spinning propellers of Hercules @ 1:46

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

radio chatter audio effect

Regarding the radio chatter audio effect. IIRC all TeamSpeak and similar plug-ins do is simply adding noise to otherwise untouched speech sound. It's not what real radios do. Real radios send send sound using very limited frequency spectrum (range) barely enough to carry readable human speech. In conclusion - you can replicate this with audacity pretty closely, while with VOIP software plug-ins you cannot.

Keep in mind that my knowledge on the subject of TS plug-ins is from 2008 or so.

Edited by Bucic

F-4E Phantom module for sale -25% non-Steam

In conclusion - you can replicate this with audacity pretty closely, while with VOIP software plug-ins you cannot.

How do you come to this conclusion? It's true that many people that program such plugins miss that the modulation/demodulation processing chain alters the spectrum quite heavily, but there is no reason why you would not be able to do this. The theory behind modulation is widely established, you just need some understanding of signal theory to meld it into code. E.g. TARS does this quite beautifully, AFAIK.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

How do you come to this conclusion? It's true that many people that program such plugins miss that the modulation/demodulation processing chain alters the spectrum quite heavily, but there is no reason why you would not be able to do this. The theory behind modulation is widely established, you just need some understanding of signal theory to meld it into code. E.g. TARS does this quite beautifully, AFAIK.

You misunderstood my statement :) I stated that the effect is impossible to get for end-user via TS plug-in, as it was in 2008 - not technicaly impossible e.g. for a plug-in coder. There simply were no plug-ins that would do anything apart from adding noise. AFAIK TARS and ACRE came after 2008.

On a side note - it's worth mentioning that TARS and ACRE are dynamic plug-ins. Output effects depend on in-game conditions.

Why did he do the equalization? I'm asking because the whole process of making a voice recording sound like radio communication recording should, in theory, go as follows:

1. low-pass filter 2500 Hz

2. hi-pass filter 500 Hz

as most radio communication equipment voice processing range is roughly 500-2500 Hz. What property of real radio communication equipment correspond to the equalization effect in audacity - I don't know.

Thanks for the tutorial anyway!

Edited by Bucic

Why did he do the equalization? I'm asking because the whole process of making a voice recording sound like radio communication recording should, in theory, go as follows:

1. low-pass filter 2500 Hz

2. hi-pass filter 500 Hz

That is far too generic, you need to consider what the modulation chain does (especially when analogue modulation is concerned).

What property of real radio communication equipment correspond to the equalization effect in audacity - I don't know.

The resulting spectrum depends to a large part on what type of modulation you use, AM or FM, as well as the channel and filter parameters. I'm not sure that a good representation of the results can be done with just equalisation.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Ah, thanks. It only shows my poor understanding of electronics :)

Look it up if you're interested, the math involved in the signal processing of analog modulation is actually relatively simple (except for the final solution of the FM derivation, you need bessel functions to solve it, but that is just one step), anybody with a background in engineering is more than capable of understanding it. Sorry fo the OT.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Look it up if you're interested, the math involved in the signal processing of analog modulation is actually relatively simple (except for the final solution of the FM derivation, you need bessel functions to solve it, but that is just one step), anybody with a background in engineering is more than capable of understanding it. Sorry fo the OT.

Thanks again.

Well, I'd consider it para-OT as good understanding of the process enables one to make the effect better :)