Movie making tutorial #1: How to make a dogfight movie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump, Thanks Cato, this should be a sticky... :thumbup:

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

• ED Team
Bump, Thanks Cato, this should be a sticky... :thumbup:

It used to be a sticky, but I found it to be a little outdated (I cant even seem to edit it) and noone really used it anymore, so I asked one of the mods to "un-sticky" it.

But if people still use it, and find it usefull, then great. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does the AVI Recorder in the Mission Editor for A-10C work. All I seem to get is a very large file in AVI uncompressed format that plays back at 1 frame ever second. I'm trying to find out if their is a bug so maybe we can get it fixed sooner than later. I usually setup for 1920x1200, 26 fps, quality 100%' and use AVI uncompressed then pull that hugh output file into Final Cut Studio Pro. Whether I play it in Final Cut or from the desktop on the PC it still plays 1 frame a second. Anyone have any ideas?:helpsmilie:

well. I say track is usefull. as you can roll it over and over again, in "edit track" mode and find different POV (Point Of View), different angles etc, once you happy with your track, you use "fraps" to capture video, the beauty of the track is that you can watch the same action from the point of attacking plane, from the point of the target, from the point of the missile or bomb, or any other point (free cam). So having the track gives you universal point of view on the events you've recorded. You can go in to "edit track" as many times as you want and change your (POV) on the already captured events, you can't change of what happened, but you can change the place, (POV) from which you wanna show it to others. So, you record track, then you look at it as many times as needed, every time you open it as "edit track", and you watch it, if you like how the track editing came out, you happy with the way it looks, you save it, and then you get your Fraps out and record it. The rest is done in editing soft like "Adobe Premiere", or "Sony Vegas" etc. Lets roll some movies ppl :D

How do you get to the "edit track".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with camera angles. Many of the angles I see in GlowingAMRAAM productions simply do not exist (to my knowledge) with the default view functions in-game (FC2).

Say, for example, I want to have a shot with the aircraft peeling away--not possible because the camera is stuck to the jet.

You need a camera, but not your plane's camera. You need to add an AI aircraft and use the AI's F2 view. Most of my shots are made this way. I never use "my" F2 view.

And I don't play online, so to make my movies I had to burn my brain to create AI's behavior to act the way I want. Not easy, it's much easier if you play online and can have your buddy doing the job for you.

By the way, here's a playlist of my movies.

Edited by RF13

Experiment with F5 camera and numpad cursors. It does twisted things when aircrafts start to maneuver! :)

On jittering and the free cameras:

Jitterning camera should work in every ED product by simply using the right key command (see the key commands pdf document). By editing the lua file section you can alter the movement of the jittering camera describing desired movement pattern using mathematical formulas.

When in free camera mode, apart from 'flying the camera' anywhere you want, you can zoom in (decrease field of view, FOV) or padlock an aircraft of your interest using common key commands.

Edited by Bucic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, this thread is a great help to new visitors, thanks!

I use Sony Vegas home edition with a few plugins, it's great value.

Is there any way to slow the mouse down when panning. I've just bought A10c, it seems so much faster than I'm used to in xplane?

Can't wait to do some better movies, GA's project 10 sold me! That multi-rocket launch shot- amazing!

Simon W

http://www.youtube.com/user/id5556

http://www.xsimreviews.com

Core i7 3770k @ 4.7; GTX670 OC; Saitek X52 Pro; keyboard; mouse; screen

:prop:

Hey, this thread is a great help to new visitors, thanks!

I use Sony Vegas home edition with a few plugins, it's great value.

Is there any way to slow the mouse down when panning. I've just bought A10c, it seems so much faster than I'm used to in xplane?

Can't wait to do some better movies, GA's project 10 sold me! That multi-rocket launch shot- amazing!

Look for view.lua file or something like that and word 'mouse' in it. Try to learn how to search for text through multiple files. I use TotalCommander for that purpose, when I don't remember where a certain option is. Go through *.cfg's and *.lua's, take notes. Note that some of the config files are obsolete/superseded by newer config files. Usually lua replace cfg.

• Don't forget to make backups of a file you're about to modify.
  • Do NOT edit config files with Notepad (the regular windows one). Editor like Notepad++ is required (unicode compatibility required?).

compare 2 settings files using Notepad++

• 9 months later...

I don't know, but you can use the TrackIR with LCTRL+F11 free camera

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.