Throttle Fingerlifts?

HawkDCS

Do I need to map this? When I push my Warthog throttle full forward it seems I am getting full A/B so I am wondering what this is for or how I know I am getting maximum thrust.

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog

The lifts are so you cannot shutdown the engines going to the idle stop, there is only i believe a A/B detent in the IRL aircraft that you cab push through fairly easy?

Right control + Enter you can bring up the onscreen controls, As seen in the bottom left in this pic. So you can see for yourself.

attachment.php?attachmentid=186346&d=1527993399

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You should indeed map them actually. (or use them on the keyboard). They also allow you to push the throttle into afterburner when taking off from the carrier.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Re accessing the afterburners without the finger-lifts...

Without using the finger-lifts, if I push the throttle forward the fuel-burn is '150'.

What do you get full forward before and after pressing the finger lifts ?

Cheers.

Re accessing the afterburners without the finger-lifts...

Without using the finger-lifts, if I push the throttle forward the fuel-burn is '150'.

What do you get full forward before and after pressing the finger lifts ?

As far as I know:

For throttle forward:

- In the air or on an airfield, no difference.

- On the catapult, full forward the throttles will limit you at full mil power. With finger-lifts raised, you will go into AB.

For throttle backward:

- Without the finger-lifts raised the throttle stops at flight idle.

- With them raised you can go to ground idle / engines off.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

As far as I know:

For throttle forward:

- On the catapult, full forward the throttles will limit you at full mil power. With finger-lifts raised, you will go into AB.

For throttle backward:

- Without the finger-lifts raised the throttle stops at flight idle.

- With them raised you can go to ground idle / engines off.

Doesnt that pretty much mean that the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle (kindof) simulates it already with its off/idle and afterburner detend?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Well, so what is the keys for afterburner-detent? Can´t find it in the steering options...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

Not really. The idle/off position is an actual direct x button push that you can work with as well as having to lift the throttle handle but the AB detent is not and it's just lifting the throttle assuming you haven't flipped the little cam over. So as others have said if you don't map the finger lift you can't get to AB on a carrier shot and max throttle on the Warthog = max military power. Airfield take off or once airborne it doesn't matter and you get AB when you move the throttles to their max.

I put my thrust in real FA-18 pilots, and they say the fingerlifts are only to prevent the pilot from inadvertently shut down the engines. Meaning, you have to use the fingerlifts to move the throttles from idle to stop to shut down the engines. And that is allegedly their only function. There's no mechanical stop between MIL and AB, only a detent where you move the throttle out just a little bit. It's allegedly not a hard stop, more of a bump that you can feel to remind you that you're moving from MIL to AB.

Allegedly.

FWIW I have the Idle/Off bound to the Warthog throttle lift buttons and the Finger lifts bound to the Ign L and R switches.

The reason for this is on a cold start the throttles need to move from off to idle using the Finger lifts will not allow it however as stated the Finger lifts are required to move the throttles to Afterburner for Catapult Takeoffs only.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

As far as I know:

For throttle forward:

Okay thx for this, but do I need to keep the finger lift buttons pressed when putting the throttle lever full forward on the cat?

I tried a catapult launch yesterday with finger lifts and still I took off only with mil power, so without AB

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

For TM the Warthog throttles

- moving the left throttle into the cutoff position (lifting the lever) depresses button 29.

- moving the right throttle into the cutoff position (lifting the lever) depresses button 30.

- moving the left throttle out of the cutoff position releases button 29.

- moving the right throttle out of the cutoff position releases button 30.

Is there a way to program this into the lua ??

If there is, we can mimic the RL action of the throttles for the engine start and stop sequences at least.

For carrier ops, we'll have to just use the 9 & 0 keys.

Cheers JH

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

Thats what i want to achieve, pull the throttles up off the back stop into idle, and spool up the engines, like the WH. I dont want to have to faff about with finger lift keys etc if i can avoid it..

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

As far as I can tell, there is something "odd" going on with this controls bacause:

1-Fingerlifts are NOT needed once in the air (no weight on the wheels) as I can lit the burners and see the throttles go to the absolute max just by moving my wharthog throttles accordingly to the max. I use the "bump" afterburners mod in my TM WH.

2-The fingerlifts are mandatory ONLY when taking off from the carrier, no matter if being launched from the catapult or just a "touch and go", the burners wont lit if you dont use the fingerlifts.

I think this is kind of and odd/buggy behaviour unless there is something in hte system making the plane to know its in a carrier which I highly doubt...

Take a look at my MODS here

As far as I can tell, there is something "odd" going on with this controls bacause:

1-Fingerlifts are NOT needed once in the air (no weight on the wheels) as I can lit the burners and see the throttles go to the absolute max just by moving my wharthog throttles accordingly to the max. I use the "bump" afterburners mod in my TM WH.

2-The fingerlifts are mandatory ONLY when taking off from the carrier, no matter if being launched from the catapult or just a "touch and go", the burners wont lit if you dont use the fingerlifts.

I think this is kind of and odd/buggy behaviour unless there is something in hte system making the plane to know its in a carrier which I highly doubt...

I would assume the sim knows there is WOW, which would raise the AB detent in the real jet.

That said, in the real jet, you can still just push that detent with enough force.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Program the off/idle l and r to buttons 30 and 29 works well for starting and stopping the engines.

Then use another free button on the throttle or elsewhere to hold in place of using the real fingerlifts as you push through to AB on the carrier, try using one of the rarely used diagonal POV buttons POV1_UL or UR seems to work for me.

"With weight on the wheels, launch bar retracted and the arresting hook UP

or with weight off the wheels, afterburner operation is initiated by advancing the throttles through the

MIL detent gates into MAX. On the ground, an afterburner lockout system helps guard against

inadvertent afterburner selection. With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting

hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of

approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX"

NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-000

Edited by huge
citation

I would assume the sim knows there is WOW, which would raise the AB detent in the real jet.

That said, in the real jet, you can still just push that detent with enough force.

I thought the AB detent is always there, regardless of WOW?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

From what I understand, the finger lifts are necessary when either the launch bar (which attaches the front landing gear to the catapult) or the hook are down. So yes, the aircraft 'knows' it's on a carrier.

Try lowering the launch bar on a field runway and see if you can select AB.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I thought the AB detent is always there, regardless of WOW?

fa252567b829d6b8fe578f91c9955f4d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440