Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

1 hour ago, Shadow KT said:

Maybe if the Assault force is still alive (If FARP captured and Assault Force killed = RED WIN ?) ? But overall... I can't see enough people being bothered to organize and recapture it. You would need at least 2 helicopters constantly flying in with units, first something to attack and capture it, then logistic units, or are there units which automatically spawn ?

Not my favorite mission, if I may say so 🙂

You may say whatever you want.

Each coalition has 3 objectives. The only one that is similar to both is capturing the FARP of the other. Once that's done the server doesn't rotate because I always thought MiG-29A and F-14A pilots might want to enjoy themselves a bit, especially if they just got activated. I'll make the server rotate once the objectives are completed as it is in all missions. Will do.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

17 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

You may say whatever you want.

Each coalition has 3 objectives. The only one that is similar to both is capturing the FARP of the other. Once that's done the server doesn't rotate because I always thought MiG-29A and F-14A pilots might want to enjoy themselves a bit, especially if they just got activated. I'll make the server rotate once the objectives are completed as it is in all missions. Will do.

Aww man, and here I was yesterday saying how nice it is to be able to enjoy the Fulcrum even though we completed the objectives. Means I can actually do some A2A rather than always playing the objectives...

1 hour ago, LegionCW said:

Aww man, and here I was yesterday saying how nice it is to be able to enjoy the Fulcrum even though we completed the objectives. Means I can actually do some A2A rather than always playing the objectives...

It's not like the objectives are often accomplished...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

It's not like the objectives are often accomplished...

Really? Just yesterday we completed 2 missions in one afternoon. Been seeing them completed at least once each day (slightly mission dependent). Would be nice if the mission didn't rotate once completed so we could enjoy the fruits of our labors.

On another topic, you considered doing any 80s cold war missions with more fox-1s involved, so we get more than 95% MiG-21 vs F-5, with the occasional Fulcrum and tomcat spice?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, LegionCW said:

Really? Just yesterday we completed 2 missions in one afternoon. Been seeing them completed at least once each day (slightly mission dependent). Would be nice if the mission didn't rotate once completed so we could enjoy the fruits of our labors.

On another topic, you considered doing any 80s cold war missions with more fox-1s involved, so we get more than 95% MiG-21 vs F-5, with the occasional Fulcrum and tomcat spice?

Good to hear. Players should stick with the objectives. The fruit is when the game is over, the enemy can't complete his objectives any more which keeps your ground units alive. That's the goal of the whole thing, otherwise why bother playing the objective if the mission keeps on going?

It's not 95%. Not even close. Mostly 8 x Fishbeds/Tigers, 4-6 x MiG-19's/AJS37's, 2-6 x MiG-15's/F-86's plus other types of aircraft.

... but since you're asking... well, I'm cooking a new mission with a different setup this time.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

@AlpenwolfHey Alpen I am currently playing Prince of Persia and every fighter from Khasab cannot seem to get rearmed. While fighters in Ras El are being able to be rearmed. Warehouse states the amount of missiles to be normal (290) but not a single pilot is able to put stuff on their aircraft.

Edited by Zachrix

50 minutes ago, SniperSS said:

Hola buenas por que el harrier no lleva misiles AlM9 SideWinder?

Because the AIM-9M is banned from the server. Harriers should be used as strikers until some more suitable Blue striker arrives. By suitable I mean an older striker than the Harrier.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

31 minutes ago, Zachrix said:

@AlpenwolfHey Alpen I am currently playing Prince of Persia and every fighter from Khasab cannot seem to get rearmed. While fighters in Ras El are being able to be rearmed. Warehouse states the amount of missiles to be normal (290) but not a single pilot is able to put stuff on their aircraft.

Thanks for the notification!

Fixed.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

L-39 can indeed get the R-60M, but not R-60. It doesn't have it in some missions due to the possibility of 21s yoinking the missiles for themselves - not that they should need to.

As far as the Harrier goes, it's worth keeping an eye on its development as Razbam have been showing off a work-in-progress hotspot mode, which projects markers onto any heat signature spotted within the HUD's FoV (I think it's an extension of the NAVFLIR system, but don't quote me on that, I'm more a Sea Harrier kinda guy). It's already fairly powerful as a strike aircraft, but once that feature makes it into the live version of game it might be time to initiate an early retirement... just not sure what we'd replace it with. More A-10As?

Also, is there any chance we could bump up the amount of R-3Rs a little? It's the 21's signature weapon and only as good as its target allows it to be - maybe double the number of them, and dial back the R-60s a little. Would be interesting to see MiGs reverting back to R-3R/R-13M1 as missions draw to a close, or stop taking six of the little fellas per sortie only to waste all of them or get shot down without firing.

@Alpenwolf,

one minor request/feedback, though I suspect this has more to do with DCS's buggy weather system than your server. But could you maybe in the weather setup

for the missions (if its possible) select a slight more evenly distributed air pressure over the maps? At the moment it is extreme and unrealistic.

For example in "when mountains cry" the distance between Vaziani and the third red lake / Water factory is just around 130 km , but the pressure already changes from

from 959 hP/mb to 804 hP/mb, so about 155 hP/ millibar over such a short distance. That is extreme by meteorological standards!!

I mean consider this for reference: Locally a drop or rise of just 7 hP /mb over 24 hours is considered relatively large and usually  indicates the arrival or exit of a larger pressure system. And the the lowest ever (!) recorderd air pressure , was as far as I know just 840 mb somewhere in the pacific during a major typhoon.So still much higher than what DCS does.

Normally I wouldn't get wound up about this and I guess for the fighter types it is of little issue. But the problem is for the strike aircraft , the Viggen, a lot of the HUD symbology for bombs and other weapons is based on correct pressure settings (QFE actually, but thats closely related to the general pressure QNH).

That mean due the large changes of pressure, combined with the fact that these occur over a short ground distance, that means the attack symbology or cues often just become visible on the HUD glass for the pilot very late, shortly before reaching /overflying the target. Before that is it not displayed since it is either above or below HUD display range/out of view.

This makes setting up stable bomb parameters unnecessarily difficult. There are weapon delivery modes that use radar alt instead, but they are not suitable for every weapon

and especially not every situation on CW server  where a low level  - level pass is often the best option.

Well as I said, I think its mostly DCS weather system , but if you could look into it  if it can be when you set up the mission it would be nice if this could be improved with less stark changes.

It currently that way  in many missions, at least those on caucasus terrain. 

It would also make the weather a bit more realisitc , though I think many people couldnt care less.

Rant / pet peeve over 😉

Sorry.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

1 hour ago, rossmum said:

L-39 can indeed get the R-60M, but not R-60. It doesn't have it in some missions due to the possibility of 21s yoinking the missiles for themselves - not that they should need to.

As far as the Harrier goes, it's worth keeping an eye on its development as Razbam have been showing off a work-in-progress hotspot mode, which projects markers onto any heat signature spotted within the HUD's FoV (I think it's an extension of the NAVFLIR system, but don't quote me on that, I'm more a Sea Harrier kinda guy). It's already fairly powerful as a strike aircraft, but once that feature makes it into the live version of game it might be time to initiate an early retirement... just not sure what we'd replace it with. More A-10As?

Also, is there any chance we could bump up the amount of R-3Rs a little? It's the 21's signature weapon and only as good as its target allows it to be - maybe double the number of them, and dial back the R-60s a little. Would be interesting to see MiGs reverting back to R-3R/R-13M1 as missions draw to a close, or stop taking six of the little fellas per sortie only to waste all of them or get shot down without firing.

But there are enough R-3R's and not too much R-60's already. From what I see or players report, they run out of R-60's at some point (1-2 hours before the mission is over). On the other hand most players don't use R-3R's and therefore they're always or very often available. Might've happened just once where you ran out of R-3R's?

Here's the thing with numbers: Sometimes the server is full (51/51 players) and other times it's back to "normal" with (25-35/51 players). Therefore, I decided to go with an average setup which is why you have enough weapons at times and barely any at other times.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, Snappy said:

@Alpenwolf,

one minor request/feedback, though I suspect this has more to do with DCS's buggy weather system than your server. But could you maybe in the weather setup

for the missions (if its possible) select a slight more evenly distributed air pressure over the maps? At the moment it is extreme and unrealistic.

For example in "when mountains cry" the distance between Vaziani and the third red lake / Water factory is just around 130 km , but the pressure already changes from

from 959 hP/mb to 804 hP/mb, so about 155 hP/ millibar over such a short distance. That is extreme by meteorological standards!!

I mean consider this for reference: Locally a drop or rise of just 7 hP /mb over 24 hours is considered relatively large and usually  indicates the arrival or exit of a larger pressure system. And the the lowest ever (!) recorderd air pressure , was as far as I know just 840 mb somewhere in the pacific during a major typhoon.So still much higher than what DCS does.

Normally I wouldn't get wound up about this and I guess for the fighter types it is of little issue. But the problem is for the strike aircraft , the Viggen, a lot of the HUD symbology for bombs and other weapons is based on correct pressure settings (QFE actually, but thats closely related to the general pressure QNH).

That mean due the large changes of pressure, combined with the fact that these occur over a short ground distance, that means the attack symbology or cues often just become visible on the HUD glass for the pilot very late, shortly before reaching /overflying the target. Before that is it not displayed since it is either above or below HUD display range/out of view.

This makes setting up stable bomb parameters unnecessarily difficult. There are weapon delivery modes that use radar alt instead, but they are not suitable for every weapon

and especially not every situation on CW server  where a low level  - level pass is often the best option.

Well as I said, I think its mostly DCS weather system , but if you could look into it  if it can be when you set up the mission it would be nice if this could be improved with less stark changes.

It currently that way  in many missions, at least those on caucasus terrain. 

It would also make the weather a bit more realisitc , though I think many people couldnt care less.

Rant / pet peeve over 😉

Sorry.

Kind regards,

Snappy

There are some dynamic weather options in the ME. I never touched those options and never cared to, simply because I deal with enough trouble while designing a mission. Never thought it would be a factor anyway.

I Just looked at the dynamic weather options but I urge you to check them out yourself, please. Maybe other players too. I'd hate to change something that might somehow affect other options in a mission knowing how crazy things can go in DCS even if it's a tiny little change you make. So please look it up, test it out with your AJS37 (I don't own the module anyway and don't plan to) and share your feedback here so I can make the changes you may need to get the most out of your Viggen.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

As far as I've seen, missions on the CW server are all using static weather. You can tell by having wind shown in the briefing for 3 specific layers. This means that the QNH, for the whole map is 29.92, unless Alpen changes it to something else, but again... it would be static for the whole map. Knowing the altitude of your target and the local (or global in this case) QNH, you can work out what QFE you need to set. 

I don't fly the Viggen, but having weapons be employed using QFE is a bit weird. You will run out of options to set-up your QFE at a certain altitude and that has nothing to do with the weather system in DCS.

I guess it makes more sense for places like Sweden, where you can only find more extreme heights on its west border with Norway 

@Snappy

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

@Alpenwolf

thank you very much for your quick reply! Completely understand your concern of making a change that will disrupt other things in the mission setups.

I will check the dynamic weather settings out in the ME and report back.

@Shadow KT

Good input , thanks. I never really noticed the wind in the briefing screen, will look for it next time.But regardless of it being in 3 layers, the very fact that there is wind (unless it is 0kts windspeed?) already should tell that the pressure is not 29.92 everywhere.

otherwise there would be no wind as wind is mostly caused by differences in atmospheric pressure.

As for the Viggen‘s design, I don’t know, pretty sure the swedes had their reasons for doing it that way, as you said guess it’s primarily designed with use in scandinavia and baltic area in mind. BTW the problem in the Viggen is not about getting QFE. fortunately the kneeboard calculates it for all flightplan waypoints in its navsystem. Targets of opportunity are another matter though.

But good that you mentioned it, because that gave me another idea. Maybe the change in elevation of terrain over distance in the CW server caucasus is larger than it appears to the eye / I underestimated the changes in terrain elevation.

This I will check as well, because it would account for large variances in QFE while the sea lvl referenced QNH would not necessarily have such large changes over same distance.

I‘ll do some testing.

Thanks a lot guys!

Kind regards,

Snappy 

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snappy said:

Targets of opportunity are another matter though.

For that Swedish integrated mavericks ;), Viggen was thought as interdictor on preplanned targets anyways. And I think they used pressure as that allows them to design viggen with very fast QRA times. Viggen doesn't have "traditional" INS system as F14 or M2k but its own advanced Automatic Dead Reckoning (ADR) system and thats allow that lighting fast 2 min start up without any need for long alignment.

Edited by The_Tau
  • Like 1

Went to take some screens from a trackfile, Search & Destroy the other day - no red tanks visible at any objective, only air defence, from mission start. Looks like none of our tanks spawned in at all, so blue started with 2 objectives held and then 2 neutral to capture. I confirmed it with Tacview as well. Our helicopter guys didn't notice and so spent the rest of their time slinging EWRs and more SAMs.

Not sure if it was a weird one-off or something more persistent - mission worked fine last time I played it, but it certainly answered the question of how we lost the mission so quickly.

1 hour ago, rossmum said:

Went to take some screens from a trackfile, Search & Destroy the other day - no red tanks visible at any objective, only air defence, from mission start. Looks like none of our tanks spawned in at all, so blue started with 2 objectives held and then 2 neutral to capture. I confirmed it with Tacview as well. Our helicopter guys didn't notice and so spent the rest of their time slinging EWRs and more SAMs.

Not sure if it was a weird one-off or something more persistent - mission worked fine last time I played it, but it certainly answered the question of how we lost the mission so quickly.

A one-off for sure. From time to time a mission is launched and some units are missing. Can't do anything about it. Must be some DCS issue with them dedicated servers.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

17 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

A one-off for sure. From time to time a mission is launched and some units are missing. Can't do anything about it. Must be some DCS issue with them dedicated servers.

Before I forget, yesterday (on battle over sukhumi I believe), Blufor can spawn instantly in F-14s at mission start, Reds can't spawn in Fulcrums, yet the briefing says that the special slots should only be unlocked if the ships make it to the docks or not.

27 minutes ago, LegionCW said:

Before I forget, yesterday (on battle over sukhumi I believe), Blufor can spawn instantly in F-14s at mission start, Reds can't spawn in Fulcrums, yet the briefing says that the special slots should only be unlocked if the ships make it to the docks or not.

No way. Just looked it up and it's all good. Nevertheless, I just added the mission file to the rotation's list again after deleting the old one.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, The_Tau said:

So any status on F-14 fighter2fighter datalink?

You've got to be more specific. What do you mean?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

5 minutes ago, The_Tau said:

@Alpenwolf

I asked about datalink before and you said you wait for one of the updates, as right now F2F datalink is disabled. Any chance to enable it? To do it F14 slots must be in same flight in ME

Oh, yeah, that one.

Been a bit busy these days so I can't promise I'll remember to add this feature next time I'm in the ME. We'll see.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments