Carrier take off

emibat

Hi guys,

in standard airdrome I use full throttle for the takeoff, to have the AB.

In carrier AB doesn't start. It's necessary use finger lifts twice.

Is it normal?

(I use Thrustmaster Warthog)

bye

Emi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just push throttles to full, carrier take off is no problem.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi,

I have the same, AB is only available after useing finger lift. There was answer somewhere on the forum that this finger lift is a kind of protection to not use AB on the carrier without cover behind the plane.

On the ground everything is ok and AB is working without this.

Cheers,

A.

I have it from a former F-18 driver that no finger-lift is necessary to go to reheat through mil stop, it's apparently a bump, rather than a hard-stop.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Just an FYI if you want to use AB on the carrier.

Hold number 9 and number 0 (not keypad numbers. The ones close to the backspace key) to raise finger lifts while advancing the throttles to use AB on the carrier.

Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz, 16 gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800mhz ram, Asus Prime Z270-A mobo, EVGA RTX 2070, 240gb SSD,500gb Samsung 850 evo SSD,500gb HDD, Warthog stick, TWCS throttle,, Thrustmaster T-flight Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5

From the NATOPS (I-2-4):

On the ground, an afterburner lockout system helps guard against inadvertent afterburner selection. With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX.

So the finger lifts aren't strictly necessary if you apply enough force. However, 32lbs (15kg) sounds like a lot to push forward with your left arm.

Think I'll assign a pair of DX buttons to the finger lifts and have them turn on when I move the throttles forward. Much hassle avoided.

Edited by Brun

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

"8.2.7 Catapult Afterburner Operation. Permissible catapult launch power settings depend on aircraft gross weight. At gross weights of 45,000 lbs and above, afterburner catapult shots are required. At gross weights of 44,000 lbs and below, three options are provided, allowing pilots to tailor the power settings to their needs. Military power launches minimize the impact of sustained afterburner operation on the ship’s jet blast deflectors (JBDs) and reduce fuel consumption. Afterburner catapults improve aircraft sink-off-bow performance and single engine flyaway performance in case of an emergency. Stabilizing in Military power while in catapult tension and selecting afterburner (MIL/MAX setting) at holdback release provides a compromise between single engine climb capability, fuel consumption and JBD compatibility. Performing a MIL to MAX afterburner transient results in only a small reduction of engine stall margin. If afterburner thrust is to be selected during the catapult stroke, advance throttles to MAX immediately following catapult holdback release. This maximizes the available time for the engines to stabilize prior to the end of the catapult stroke. The catapult settings for a MIL/ MAX shot are identical to a MIL power shot, so there is no need for pilots to communicate their intention to exercise the MIL/MAX option to the catapult crew."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
From the NATOPS (I-2-4):

So the finger lifts aren't strictly necessary if you apply enough force. However, 32lbs (15kg) sounds like a lot to push forward with your left arm.

Think I'll assign a pair of DX buttons to the finger lifts and have them turn on when I move the throttles forward. Much hassle avoided.

Correct. We are looking finger lift operation as an option for later.