A multitude of questions for operating the Hornet

Magic Zach

I have a list of questions, or areas that need clarifying:

1)What is the difference between the standby and operate modes of the radar?

2)Generators are needed for the Tiger II. Why aren’t turning on the left and right generators part of the startup process for the Hornet? In fact, if they aren't necessary, when are they needed?

3)Does guarding a channel automatically put the radio to 243MHz? For which comms? When should guarding be used?

4)Is squelching just for noise reduction?

5)Why use TACAN when you can set waypoints? TACAN stations are spotty, and why use them when you have a moving map on your AMPCD? Is there a greater purpose for TACAN, other than leading you to only half of the all the available airfields?

6)Same question for ADF as there is for TACAN, why is it needed? It’s spotty, and appears less useful than TACAN, because you are only given direction, not distance. And from what I've seen on the map, the stations don't even lead to anywhere in particular.

7)Is the Inertial Navigation System really that accurate? Can it lose focus after a time, like after weird maneuvers or intense Gs, or simply prolonged flight?

8 )On page 67 of the early access Hornet guide, it says to use the HSI on the DDI to navigate using waypoints. Why not use the AMPCD?

9)What is the difference between a waypoint and a target waypoint?

10)Because the ILS button on the HSI display is not available for early access, does that mean that anything ILS related for the Hornet is not available until it is implemented, including, of course, landing with the ILS?

11)What is the difference between X and Y channels for TACAN? So far I've only seen X be used. Is there some that use Y, and I just haven't seen them?

12)On the A/C DATA page, what does it mean when the reading for the windspeed displays “OKT”?

13)What does “HERR” and “VERR” mean in the GPS section of the A/C DATA page?

Thanks

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

1) In standby, the RADAR doesn't transmit. It won't xmit on deck though--needs weight off wheels ("WOW")...

2)Gens automatically come online when engines turn.

3)Guard channel is for emergencies IRL. I don't know if it has any real significance in this sim.

4)Yes.

5)TACAN allows you to find A/A targets (friendly anyway) as well such as tanker.

7)Yes. It IS that accurate.

8)All up to you, but DDIs are easier to navigate when switching WPs.

10)One would assume.

11)

12)Means "zero knots".

13)Horizontal and vertical error. It will always assumedly be good in this sim.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jeffham222

Intel Core i7-6700@3.4GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

It does work yes, but only gives you a range to them, not a bearing.

Yardstick.

Once the data link comes we won't need that.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Thanks, jeffham222

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

INS develops position and velocity errors over time. It's not that accurate.

Thats why the Hornet also has a GPS system that corrects the INS drift when you put the INS in IFA mode. (Not modelled yet)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Thats why the Hornet also has a GPS system that corrects the INS drift when you put the INS in IFA mode. (Not modelled yet)

Will this be modelled?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Will this be modelled?

It will, but the accuracy will remain roughly the same. Only difference is if you take a hit and GPS gets hit, your INS will start drifting.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm