Updater: Move packages to temp folder

I have an 240GB SSD, when DCS updates, it downloads the packages into SSD drive thats almost full.

I would like to suggest to the developer move the downloaded packages into %TEMP% folder, where I setted to my HDD drive that have enough free disk space.

Best regards.

PS: Is there a way to setup the location of the "_downloads" folder?

OBS: I have more than 30GB free space in my SSD drive, but the "_downloads" folder is consuming the entire disk.

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.0d205fa56a1e765c38162afb8a178072.png

Edited by SilentSierra

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Because of the "downloads" folder, I can't update DCS anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

+1

I have the same issue.

I have space on my normal HDD's, approx. 1049gb, but I don't have room left on my SSD nor any free SATA ports.

And due to real life I don't have any spare cash to buy a new SSD, an M2 SSD, a PCI-E card or any other components for my PC, so please don't any one chime in with "buy a new [insert component name here], it only costs...".

To workaround the issue I've taken to keeping a backup copy of the beta version and updating the backup copy, which is on a normal HDD, then just moving it to the SSD (making sure I delete the copy on the SSD first).

Just run the updater from the bin folder using the command line...

• 1 year later...

I am using CC Cleaner to erase my 1TB SSD drive and then I will install WIN 10 on it and copy my F drive that has open beta and standard version to it, so no more DL space problems.

I am still interested in knowing if port forwarding will help DL speeds, but I know the new load balancing router will help DL speeds. Thanks

I also have this problem and its May 2020.

My C drive is small and all updates go to that small SSD drive

and I sure wish I could make it go to an internal SSD 1 TB drive.

I just ordered a TP-Link Safestream Multi WAN LOAD BALANCING Router from amazon, as My wife and I have two routers and only get 0.8 kbps dl speeds. Now when no one is using tv or PC at night, I can hopefully get 1.6 MBps DL speeds.

I do not see anything for 2020 about port forwarding and was wondering if PORT RANGES

would make any difference with DL speeds ?

Thanks for any help

Edited by ctguy1955
erasing 1TB SSD to install Win 10 and DCS World

I also have this problem and its May 2020.

My C drive is small and all updates go to that small SSD drive

and I sure wish I could make it go to an internal SSD 1 TB drive.

The DCS_Updater.exe has an option that lets you specify where to put its temporary files, you set it with the command:

DCS_UPDATER SETTINGS

It looks like this:

dXYo9ni.jpg

Just specify the download folder, no need to touch the other settings.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The DCS_Updater.exe has an option that lets you specify where to put its temporary files, you set it with the command:

DCS_UPDATER SETTINGS

It looks like this:

dXYo9ni.jpg

Just specify the download folder, no need to touch the other settings.

Best regards

Thank You so much for that info !!! Now that someone else told me that

Indexing would make everything better to put win 10 and DCS world on the

1 TB SSD drive, I am doing that now. A million UP Votes to YOU

I really think that a LOT of people will be helped by what You helped Me with !!!!

Edited by ctguy1955

lucky for me I searched around and found a free clone program and did not have to install

Win 10 Pro from scratch with all downloads to upgrade as My win10 disk is from 2015.

As soon as its done, I will do the admin cmd prompt and do the "DCS_UPDATER SETTINGS"

I tried different ways, admin and regular cmd prompt and it did not work for me.

I do not think its because I dont have DCS in a program file ?

At least DCS is now on the 1 TB SSD drive but windows is still on a small SSD

and the clone did work, but I could not change the drive letter and if I unplugged

the C drive the pc stopped working and froze.

The copy and pasteof DCS did work so now

all I need to do is get the updates to go to the J drive.

J:\DCS WORLD\bin>dcs_updater settings ( open beta )

J:\Eagle Dynamics\bin>dcs_updater settings ( standard )

C:\WINDOWS\system32>J:

J:\> J:\DCS WORLD\bin>dcs_updater settings

'J:\DCS' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

J:\> J:\Eagle Dynamics\bin>dcs_updater settings

'J:\Eagle' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

J:\> I even tried dcs_updater.exe

J:\> J:\DCS WORLD\bin>dcs_updater settings

'J:\DCS' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

You dont type the path .. just the "dcs_updater settings" command.

To move from one folder to another you use the CD (change directory) command, like this:

Assuming you are at the root folder (J:\), type these two commands:

Cd "dcs world" (quotes needed because of the space in the name of the folder)

Cd bin

Now you should be standing at J:\dcs world\bin

At this point, type the command:

Dcs_updater settings

:thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thank You for responding with what I have to do, I never would have put quotes in.

I really appreciate Your help with this, now when the Super Carrier update comes,

I will be able to download it to the new area.

I will now go and try this out.

Mike

Worked the first time I tried it !!!

I’m glad :thumbup: ... I feel kind of old, when I realize that using the command line is nowadays kind of a lost art :)

I knew C language back in 1988 when I bought a Amiga 500. Once they stopped making

flight sims, I moved to PC's. So I am now able to use the updater GUI utility and use that

to put all terrains and planes on the Open Beta and really look forward to the Super Carrier

and the new maps !!! Thanks again for Your help that I am now all set up to do so !!!

• 3 years later...