28/04 New Screens: Ka-27

So apart from submersible submarines, some entirely new sensor developments would be required......which is quite far outside the above mentioned focus of the Black Shark title.

Actually, it plays an important role in anti surface ship warfare as well, it is one of the assets (others being satellites, Il-20/38s and Tu-95/142s) that can provide mid-course guidance updates to long range anti-ship missiles like the P500/700. Without this kind of support the latter are unable to take advantage of their reach due to the radar horizon limiting ship-board sensors to much shorter detection distances. Also, it has been displayed with the Kh-35, although we all know how much that meant with the Su-33 and the Kh-41... ;)

Actually, it plays an important role in anti surface ship warfare as well, it is one of the assets (others being satellites, Il-20/38s and Tu-95/142s) that can provide mid-course guidance updates to long range anti-ship missiles like the P500/700. Without this kind of support the latter are unable to take advantage of their reach due to the radar horizon limiting ship-board sensors to much shorter detection distances. Also, it has been displayed with the Kh-35, although we all know how much that meant with the Su-33 and the Kh-41... ;)

No it does not Trident - it is a misconception. The Ka-27PL it is a dedicated antisubmarine helicopter. It has no means for acquiring surface targets over long distances - its onboard surface search radar is optimised for locating pericopes breaking the surface at short ranges(few kilometers) as a supplement to the other means I mentioned.

The P-700 missile use a dedicated satellite system for guidance - it requires no other external assets for targeting/guidance.

JJ

So uh...we get a new naval warfare helicopter that doesnt do anything except fly around, land, take off and get shot at?

Yeah.. but it seems like something is in the works... with the new skin. At least I'm hopeing that we'll see more here then just a nice skin to look at.. I'm hopeing for more at least some where down the line...

Well maybe we'll actually see a real naval combat simulation take shape..

Its nice to dream sometimes :closedeyes:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

So uh...we get a new naval warfare helicopter that doesnt do anything except fly around, land, take off and get shot at?

That's why I honestly don't get too excited over AI stuff. Sure it's great work (more than I'll ever do) but you just look at it anyways when it comes down to it... but with a new damage model it'll be a cooler boom, and if it's over water we can see the new water effects :D

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Realy like to see them coming whit news creenins, like some sed its just showes that they are doing something and its in progrese, can only bee good even if we get it in ayear or something.

Oh of course, and with the attention to detail, how can you really blame them?

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

I think whats happening here is that were seeing some real progress taking place with finishing touches

If you ask me it just reflects the fact that the graphics people have to be kept busy while the codies struggle with the tricky stuff. :-)

Not that modelling etc. isn't tricky in its own way, but coding something like BS with all the ancient code in LOMAC must be a nightmare.

Andrew McP

This model, like many others displayed in the screenshots, was developed by a third-party modeler. The Ka-27, Hummer and MANPAD units are ZloySkin's, the KAMAZ and the T-72B are GK's, the LeClerc and upcoming Marder are BAURIS'es and various different armor units are Goliaf26's. SuperVasya also did a lot of model work for ED, most recently the Mi-24, but I believe he is now on staff. Of course, there are various other models being developed in-house as well. I wouldn't read anything into it, except that one of ED's directions in development is a gradual replacement of the 3D models in-game. There are many other directions, but they generally aren't as suitable for screen grabs.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Uh no.....you get a new 3D model for the Ka-27 naval warfare helicopter already in the game and I think, if you take a look at the current one, you will agree that it was about time.

JJ

If you ask me it just reflects the fact that the graphics people have to be kept busy while the codies struggle with the tricky stuff. :-)

Not that modelling etc. isn't tricky in its own way, but coding something like BS with all the ancient code in LOMAC must be a nightmare.

Andrew McP

Andrew:

Not to sound like a d****, but its actually my understanding that the whole team can pitch in with the very tedious coding duties...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Uh no.....you get a new 3D model for the Ka-27 naval warfare helicopter already in the game and I think, if you take a look at the current one, you will agree that it was about time.

I dont really care for that heli. To me its ugly and repulsing, and reminds me of my mother. And my moms a fatas@ speedfreak.

No it does not Trident - it is a misconception. The Ka-27PL it is a dedicated antisubmarine helicopter. It has no means for acquiring surface targets over long distances - its onboard surface search radar is optimised for locating pericopes breaking the surface at short ranges(few kilometers) as a supplement to the other means I mentioned.

The P-700 missile use a dedicated satellite system for guidance - it requires no other external assets for targeting/guidance.

Ok, I stand corrected. Whatever though, it's a welcome addition in my book :) It always ruins my immersion when some model that looks like a left-over from 7 years ago appears in a sim where you otherwise have amazingly detailed models like this one. It just doesn't fit together, if you want to upgrade the models do so across the board or not at all.

As a dadicated fighter-pilot I still see me and my mates left with a big "nothing". But as the politics of ED are fairly enough discussed I'll stop here... :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Ok, I stand corrected. Whatever though, it's a welcome addition in my book :) It always ruins my immersion when some model that looks like a left-over from 7 years ago appears in a sim where you otherwise have amazingly detailed models like this one. It just doesn't fit together, if you want to upgrade the models do so across the board or not at all.

I agree completely Trident :) .

JJ

As a dadicated fighter-pilot I still see me and my mates left with a big "nothing". But as the politics of ED are fairly enough discussed I'll stop here... :(

Please* show a bit more respect for hardworking creativity shown in these lovely shots. This model is Awsome and I am thankful for the updates from the very busy ED Team

As much as I agree with that statement, the fact that there are 4 flyables that need the immediate attention, not all these models that no ones really going to see except through a gun pipper or a blip on the radar screen. I "FULLHEARTEDLY" agree that new models are great. I love new models more than everyone else here, but this is just plain esoteric, honestly. Ill still take BS when its released, but Id much rather have a shiny new F-15 or Su-27/33. Even if ANYTHING at LEAST the A-10.

As much as I agree with that statement, the fact that there are 4 flyables that need the immediate attention, not all these models that no ones really going to see except through a gun pipper or a blip on the radar screen. I "FULLHEARTEDLY" agree that new models are great. I love new models more than everyone else here, but this is just plain esoteric, honestly. Ill still take BS when its released, but Id much rather have a shiny new F-15 or Su-27/33. Even if ANYTHING at LEAST the A-10.

There are new Su-27, MiG-29 and Su-25 models from ED on the way, while Walmis' F-15 is good enough for me right now. I'm sure the A-10 and Su-33 will follow suit at some point in the future, perhaps someone is even able to revive the 3rd party A-10 project (Walmis?).

If you were talking about the avionics and flight models, think of BS as a stand-alone helo sim. ED quite simply does not have the resources to develop a detailed Ka-50 and update the other aircraft at the same time.

I dont really care about AFM and avionics, just as long as it takes me to the combat area and home. Think we all know the current avionics and FM will be untouched for quite some time. For that explanation Ill refer back to the F-15 thread for a brief synapsis. Im all about moving forward, but forward in the direction that was announced at release. This sim is all about realism, is it not? Realistically, we have enough things shooting at us. Realistically, we have enough detail to satisfy everyone with the exception of models that people look at on a regular basis, such as player flyables. Is there really a need to have a 20k poly tank when the Su-27 has 15k (or whatever the current count is)?

I dont really care about AFM and avionics, just as long as it takes me to the combat area and home. Think we all know the current avionics and FM will be untouched for quite some time. For that explanation Ill refer back to the F-15 thread for a brief synapsis. Im all about moving forward, but forward in the direction that was announced at release. This sim is all about realism, is it not? Realistically, we have enough things shooting at us. Realistically, we have enough detail to satisfy everyone with the exception of models that people look at on a regular basis, such as player flyables. Is there really a need to have a 20k poly tank when the Su-27 has 15k (or whatever the current count is)?

There may not be a "need" for 20 thousand polys in a tank . . . . but considering the nature of the sim, we did need better ground unit 3D models :)

Given the choice between making a model "good enough" or making it to the limit of your abilities and the abilities of current computers . . . I think most modellers would go the whole hog. I certainly wouldn't want to create a model and know I hadn't done my best.

To re-state the obvious just for the record - third-party modellers obviously can't spend their time doing coding work.

They are donating worthwhile features to the sim for our enjoyment, and deserve the credit for it. They're doing a fantastic job.

And trust me . . . . first time you pop over a rise to see an unexpected group of enemy units right in front of you, and watch that beautifully crafted turret slowly swinging to bear . . . . . their work will REALLY be appreciated ;)

• Like 1

Please* show a bit more respect for hardworking creativity shown in these lovely shots. This model is Awsome and I am thankful for the updates from the very busy ED Team

My post is in no way unrespectful! Just mentioning the point that a few years ago I bought a Jet-Sim and now have to see high poly tanks and helos. Good for those who like mud-moving in any way - bad for those who are more into aircombat. It's simply very unbalanced. If all flyables (from Mig-29 to KA-50) would have been kept on the same level of depth (model, flight model, avionics) it would just be great for everyone.

Hope this won't get into a flame thread...

Sorry...

Helo looks sweet! (<- I hope this is respectful enough for you!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5