TM F/A-18C STICK

Nospin44

Does the Hornet stick have less buttons than the Warthog? For example, do we not lose the TMS functionality?

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/FA18C/FA-18C_Hornet_Add-On_user_manual.pdf

I don't think the push on the 4 way castle doubles it to 8 way, I believe it is just a Pushbutton.

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TM F/A-18C STICK

It has the exact same number of buttons (19 + 8-POV hat). TM adds a tiny 3-button auto centered thumb wheel to the left of RCCE switch to match the Warthog buttons.

In comparison, Winwing’s stick has 20 + 4-POV + push hat. It doesn’t have the thumb wheel but the RCCE switch instead is 4-way + push.

Realsim’s F-18 grip will probably have 36 (same as their F-16 grip).

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

It has the exact same number of buttons (19 + 8-POV hat). TM adds a tiny 3-button auto centered thumb wheel to the left of RCCE switch to match the Warthog buttons.

It does, but they are not configured so well for other a/c like the A-10C. Loss of a 4 way switch is a bit of an inconvenience out of the Hornet.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

TM F/A-18C STICK

No it isn’t as convenient as the Warthog stick if you need a true TMS switch to fly the A-10C. It won’t be much of a problem for me since I’ll adapt. I can still configure TMS up down using the thumb wheel up down, and TMS left right with thumb wheel push and RCCE button. I probably won’t fly the A-10C with this stick anyways since my Warthog grip is made for that.

This is not really TM’s problem since the real Hornet stick has 3 fewer buttons than this replica.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

No it isn’t as convenient as the Warthog stick if you need a true TMS switch to fly the A-10C. It won’t be much of a problem for me since I’ll adapt. I can still configure TMS up down using the thumb wheel up down, and TMS left right with thumb wheel push and RCCE button.

This is not really TM’s problem since the real Hornet stick has 3 fewer buttons than this replica.

I wasn't suggesting it was TM (or anyone else's) problem, I'm just pointing out that it may not be so convenient for other modules to be missing the 4-way switch, that's all.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For the people in Germany:

https://www.computeruniverse.net/de/thrustmaster-fa-18c-hornet-hotas-add-on-grip-pc

I don´t know if they ship worldwide.

I got my stick two weeks ago :-)

Well, tell us how it is :)

• 3 months later...

In Germany it gets cheaper and cheaper.

https://www.voelkner.de/products/1386395/Thrustmaster-F-A-18C-Hornet-HOTAS-Add-On-Grip-Joystick-PC.html?ref=43&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-uUsN_I5QIVmuFRCh3UfwUJEAkYASABEgKmd_D_BwE

I'm currently looking for a good Deal

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Would be interested in your initial opinion. ;)

FWIW, here is mine from a few months ago https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3993473&postcount=31

If you fly the FA/18, nothing can beat the real Flightstick in your Hands.

66427e5774906edfd5f4ca5b8e6a80b8.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

It´s a great piece of hardware. The grip is slighty lighter than Warthog´s so I had to ease the springs of my Virpil base. The stick feels great in my hand, the palm rests against a "hump", the back has a groove for gripping your fingers around and over the armament switch there is a piece of well thought material so you can put your thumb, making the grip easier to handle.

Two stage trigger feels a bit different than Warthog´s.

It´s not only the real deal for F-18, but Harrier and F-15. It works amazing for F-14 too.

My personal two complaints:

I´m missing another hat for F1, F2, F3, F6 external views (I have that on Warthogs modifier + DMS hat) and the pinky switch lever is shorter than Warthogs, and with my size of hand, I struggle to use it combine with the castle switch.

I might look for a 3d printed solution or something.

All in all, great stick.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

My personal two complaints:

I´m missing another hat for F1, F2, F3, F6 external views (I have that on Warthogs modifier + DMS hat) and the pinky switch lever is shorter than Warthogs, and with my size of hand, I struggle to use it combine with the castle switch.

I might look for a 3d printed solution or something.

All in all, great stick.

Yep, I had the same issue with the short pinky lever which I use on the Warthog as a modifier for various things like F1, F2 etc.

I now still use the Hornet lever as a modifier, but for the views, I bind to a throttle hat plus the lever.

Yep, I had the same issue with the short pinky lever which I use on the Warthog as a modifier for various things like F1, F2 etc.

I now still use the Hornet lever as a modifier, but for the views, I bind to a throttle hat plus the lever.

Yes, coolie hat plus modifier has been my choice ;)

Also considering Voiceattack to commando external views but I think it might become an issue when flying online.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I got mine for 169,99€ when it entered the webshop at conrad.de. Was by far the cheapest price online so i ordered it with 4 year warranty for additional 16€. The day after i ordered it was set to 199,99€ on conrad.de :D

I think the shop admin called out the wrong price (it was exactly the price ex. VAT the next day) and they realised their mistake with the first order. And that was me :D:D:D

Bad luck for them, since there is a law in germany they have to sell it for the price it was called out at the time it was ordered, no matter how much money they loose.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

I got mine two Times Used for 115€ inclusive Amazon Bill from October 25.

I use all the Original FA/18 bindings and the VR Switch for Center, Zoom and Zoom+

Works very well for me,but I have to turn the Base between my legs a couple degrees in,for a better and authentic Grip. Works also great

I hope Thrustmaster brings more Stuff like this. A Mig29 or SU27 Stick would be great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

115 bucks for a new condition grip with almost full warranty is realy a good deal :thumbup: Sometimes it's worth waiting a bit. I only ordered it when it was new on the market because i had a feeling i won't get it for that price later. I don't know why, but it turned out the next day that my feeling was right.

edit: A TM Hornet and a Viper Throttle wich could be purchased separately would be nice as well...

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

For my part..

an excellent piece of kit. I use it for FA-18C real life mappings. I see no point in doing anything else. I haven't set it up for, say, the F-5 but I expect it will suit just fine. I use the extra little roller/press switch next to the Event Marker button for zoom in/out and reset view.

I don't have a problem with the pinkie paddle, it's not something you use all the time and easily reached when I do. I operate the nosewheel steering button with the ring or middle finger, I don't think it was meant as a pinkie button.

The weapon release button call for a deliberate reach with my thumb, perhaps to avoid accidental release as it isn't doesn't have a cover.

The feel is good, sitting snugly in the palm and standard spring pressures seem fine to me.

The only criticism I have and must apply in the real a/c is that weapon select hat 'left' is difficult to operate against it's spring with the thumb on top but I just slide my thumb down between the hat and the stick and push it out.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I don't have a problem with the pinkie paddle, it's not something you use all the time and easily reached when I do.

The only criticism I have and must apply in the real a/c is that weapon select hat 'left' is difficult to operate against it's spring with the thumb on top but I just slide my thumb down between the hat and the stick and push it out.

The pinkie paddle is something you use all the time if you set it as a modifier!

The weapon select 'left' is not used on the real Hornet stick for the very reason that it is VERY difficult to operate. Only forward, aft, right and press were used.

Regarding sliding your thimb between stick and switch, what size of thumb do you have?? :)

https://i.imgur.com/y8ipSQ4.jpg

Missing the weapon select right for AIM-120.

Personally, I use the RECCE button for UNDESIGNATE so that I can continue to use the pinkie switch for a modifier.

https://i.imgur.com/y8ipSQ4.jpg

In fact, looking again at that diagram, there are a few things just not correct about the SCS. See attached for the relevant paras in the manual.

The pinkie paddle is something you use all the time if you set it as a modifier!

The weapon select 'left' is not used on the real Hornet stick for the very reason that it is VERY difficult to operate. Only forward, aft, right and press were used.

Regarding sliding your thimb between stick and switch, what size of thumb do you have?? :)

Ah well I bought it to flly the FA-18C so I don't use the paddle as a modifier.

That's interesting, I had a look around and it's apparently Down for sidewinder. I'll have to change it and use Left for pause TIR instead of down. Could have sworn I saw left for Sidewinder somewhere - maybe in the Training mission.

And my thumbis just the right size thank you :)

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'