F-14A and F-14B Weapons loadout ?

Satarosa

The F-14A was a interceptor only (I never see with bombs), later the modernisation was the F-14A+ called the F-14B "bombcat" with ground attack capacity and better motor, avionics.

F-14A (1974)

F-14B (1987)

F-14D (1992)

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F-14A was a interceptor only (I never see with bombs), later the modernisation was the F-14A+ called the F-14B "bombcat" with ground attack capacity and better motor, avionics.

F-14A (1974)

F-14B (1987)

F-14D (1992)

The primary role, the F-14A was built for, was intercept and fleet defense. Though not used, the A, already had a CCIP mode for bomb delivery and that was pretty accurate.

If I read correct the first trials with bombs happened in the late 80ies, but first operational use happened in the 90ies, after the upgrades started.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

F-14A (1974)

F-14B (1987)

F-14D (1992)

The A (the real A, not the A+), was used for A-G missions as well, even all the way up to Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=178885&d=1518436567

attachment.php?attachmentid=178886&d=1518437015

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The A (the real A, not the A+), was used for A-G missions as well, even all the way up to Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=178885&d=1518436567

attachment.php?attachmentid=178886&d=1518437015

Yep. This. I guess many misinterpret the precision-bombing upgrades (A+ and B) with general bombing capabilities. The whole upgrading thing seems to be a much more fluent process, than many expect it to be.

While some squadrons fly the old stuff and do the job, some squadron, gets the first upgraded system integrated, while another already is complete (A+) so worst case both A, A+, fight along early B and D versions in the same theatre.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Not sure of this..

Not sure of this..

What you see in the photos are F-14A+ (or F-14As) called now F-14B.

All the F-14A were upgraded to F-14A+ which was named after the official F-14B denomination ?

The real F-14A put into service and 1974 had no yet capability for bombing mission ? (CCIP upgrade in test range by test pilot, never in operation)

Modernization has changed that and their name, It's like the A-10A and the A-10C is a mandatory modernization.

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure of this..

All the F-14A were upgraded to F-14A+ which was named after the official F-14B denomination ?

The real F-14A put into service and 1974 had no yet capability for bombing mission ? (CCIP upgrade in test range by test pilot, never in operation)

Modernization has changed that and their name, It's like the A-10A and the A-10C is a mandatory modernization.

What you actually see in the photo is factually two F-14A’s. Easily identifiable by the TF-30 engines. Many people get confused over the whole F-14A+/B thing. Technically the -A+ is the B. The nomenclature of it changed in 1990 I believe, or possibly 91. As for the avionics the bombing computers that allowed for CCIP and CCRP were already in place with the F-14A. The only upgrades for its bombing mission were the addition of the LANTIRN pod, which even before the pod A/B’s could still drop LGB’s.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Not sure of this..

No, that's regular F-14A Tomcats. VF-41 which flow A-models was the first squadron to drop bombs in anger in 1995 over Bosnia, they dropped LGBs buddy lazed by Hornets (or Intruders depending on sources).

Edited by GrizzlyBear83

Also to add, not every -A was upgraded to -A+/B status. As what the upgrade primarily added was the F110-GE-400 engines that replaced the TF-30’s. With some avionics upgrades but most notably being the ALR-67, but most of the suite stayed the same as the -A.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

You don't have to fly over the target to hit with a GBU - you've just gotta lob it. We should be able to get 5-10nm lobs out of it pretty easily with such a high speed launch platform.

I could tossloft from 18nm already in the Mirage... that's more than twice the range of highly concentrated light rays in DCS rdlaugh.png

But I guess they'll fix that soon twilightsmile.png

I prefer the Cold War stuff as well, with my lazy exception being the unassisted bombing (like e.g. on the F-5E) which is a no-go for me.

I don't even mess around with that strange table bombing. Just do it by guts, works better rdlaugh.png

Same preference though. I'd take an 80s Tornado, F-111, EEL, early Mirages, Centuries and such any day.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Not sure of this..

All remaining F-14As in the mid to late 90s strapped on bombs and used LANTIRN. They carried all LGBs and dumb bombs, and Navy CBUs. They were not JDAM capable. All F-14A+ were redesignated F-14B (no actual change), then these were upgraded and the general uninformed public call these "bombcats". These received the sparrowhawk hud and PTID. The F-14D received PTID as well. Both upgrade F-14B and F-14D could drop JDAM.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

my personal feelings on the matter is it would be nice to have the A model with the TF-30 engines and bombs (if you dont like them dont equip them) and the B model with the upgrades like F110 engines and lantern support

hopefully one day a D model with MFDs to go along with the F/A-18C+ and A-10C

i like more chooses when i can get them for example if im flying a pre AIM-120 era mission ill equip the AIM-7 in the hornet but if im flying a desert storm era mission id like to have them

my personal feelings on the matter is it would be nice to have the A model with the TF-30 engines and bombs (if you dont like them dont equip them) and the B model with the upgrades like F110 engines and lantern support

hopefully one day a D model with MFDs to go along with the F/A-18C+ and A-10C

i like more chooses when i can get them for example if im flying a pre AIM-120 era mission ill equip the AIM-7 in the hornet but if im flying a desert storm era mission id like to have them

AFAIK the LANTIRN was used on the A too and not just on the A+/B and D.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

AFAIK the LANTIRN was used on the A as well and not just on the A+/B and D.

Yes, it was, together with PTID displays which went to A's and B's. D's only got them later on (as they could use their MFD's for LTS picture) when some of these got retired (there was a limited number of PTID screens purchased so they kept shifting them around when some planes went for maintenance, etc.).

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!