Advice on Someone New to Flight Simming

mrmertz

I have a friend who is for the first time in his life thinking of getting into flight simming. He says he’s getting a bit burnt out on the console games and wants to come back over to the PC. Even talking about upgrading his graphics card to a 1070Ti. I’m thinking of IL2 definitely for him for starters as he seems to have to have no interest in WW1 flight, which in my opinion, would be a little more suited for him for beginning with but oh well. Plus you can ‘dumb down’ the realism settings in IL2 in order to keep the frustration factor low in the beginning but still have the pucker factor of fast paced furballs.

In so far as jumping into DCS 2.5 world of flight, I’m thinking a good natural starting point would be the SU-25 as it’s a package deal but also perhaps a good starting point to learn the various advance weapons systems as compared to a WW2 aircraft. (He’s flown DCS World on my system once and was telling our mutual friend how much he thought of it).

I know if he takes to flight simming he’ll want to jump right into an F-15 or the new Hornet but the catch is his frustration level. I believe the steeper learning curve/frustration level would overcome any desire to fly anymore and that would be the end of it. Anyone’s two cents would be appreciated as I don’t know if my so-called “strategy” on this is even on target or not. I guess the gist is I’d really like to see him come over to the PC flight sim world as he’s the type of guy who would I think have a blast, but don’t want him to reach the level of frustration in learning stuff that he just returns his stick and peddles and gives up altogether and goes back to the point and click shooters. Am I on base with this or no?

I’ll thank everyone in advance, as always! :)

Edited by mrmertz

Hi mrmertz

yes a lot of fliers use them but now it's just as cheap to buy the "GameTrix jet seat", a better all round experience. I have both but i find the Buttkicker can be a bit too much although you can control the output.

Edited by shaz56

Hi mrmertz

yes a lot of fliers use them but now it's just as cheap to buy the "GameTrix jet seat", a better all round experience. I have both but i find the Buttkicker can be a bit too much although you can control the output.

Thanks! That’s what I was think. Unfortunately I changed my topic question and post altogether so my apologies. But yeah, I think your right.

Anyways, see new topic as posted, and thanks.

All depends on motivation. Hence personality. If he has a very strong interest in a particular era then it's a starting point. Does he play because his friends (want him to) play or because he comes obsessive about learning a system once his interest is sparked? What decade were you born? How long is his patience... 5 minutes or 5 weeks? What is his code in Meyers-Briggs style personality sorter?

What type of platform is best? Jets are straightforward - it goes where you point it and if you apply throttle, you can go... VERY fast. Some like the feeling of power and it's said optimists fly jets. The other end is helicopters and pretty much all of the opposite is true. You can't just pull the stick and zoom straight up to the sky - they can be a very complex and fascinating platform if you have a taste for something different. Like scouting out the enemy and hiding just behind the next hill before it's time to send a big nice greeting. You can get up close and personal in a heli like no jet can.

Ah, forgot about WW2 era planes. They are slower so the scale and pace is more human, perhaps easy to start with if you're not sure.

Preferably survey level aircraft so the F-15 could be a good choice (you don't need to use all the systems at the very beginning even). Sadly I don't think DCS is the best place to start if you want helicopters - you would need to be very humble about learning curve things. There are "game" level settings for at least some helicopters in DCS though and there are differences between the models - the Ka-50 has the most complex systems while it's probably one of the easiest to fly, tied with the UH-1H.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Yeah , F-15 for sure . Simplified systems , easy to fly/land . Warbirds are much more difficult in terms of gunnery , landing , bombing-and takeoff if you don't use "dumbed down" settings .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If he wants to blow stuff up, F-15. If he is ONLY interested in flying, you might want to consider - and I'm surprised to be saying this - the Yak-52. I'm generally not of the opinion that you should start out with a trainer (you should start out with something cool that'll not bore you) but in this case the slow speed and the pleasant handling characteristics of the Yak really help. My 9 year old landed it after not even coming close in any of the jets cause things were happening just too quickly.

Or he could get one of the civilian sims and learn the basic Cessna. That'll work too.

I personally think that the L-39 is a the perfect aircraft to start with within 2.5. This is actually what I did ...

- The avionics is very simple.

- The aircraft is really forgiving.

- No radar and extensive technology packages.

- Still cool to be able to blow stuff with it (it is commonly used as a light attack aircraft by many countries).

- This is a trainer aircraft in real life as well ...

- This aircraft is REALLY REALLY well done in DCS, mostly no bug.

- This is a high fidelity aircraft, so all switches need to be be operated (adding to immersion), but since the plane is easy to fly it makes it more appealing.

Mostly all buyers really LOVED that plane and I personally think that it is one of the most underrated aircraft of the game. It's good in this sim to start slow and climb the stairs.

I would recommend to start there...

${1}

The L-39 is my favorite stick-and-rudder aircraft in DCS . It truly is a delight to fly , and eveything Frag said about it is true .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I think Frag indeed is up to something with what he says. I had a bit of a similar experience starting with helicopters.

Ka-50, impressive weapons platform. Advanced avionics, much Russian stuff, latest missiles - too much for me.

Gazelle L model, old and simple. Learn what "A" and "M" are, flick four switches, ready to blow up trucks and APC with rockets and gun - is there a catch, it's fun!

It's quite interesting that DCS has been there for almost a decade and they still hadn't done study level of the whole F-14...F-18 family, or Su-27 and such. The fun is somewhere else and TBH some a bit more exotic rig like Viggen or Mig-25 could be much more interesting... just because it's a whole new experience and mindset.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS