moving map makes HSI unreadable - any solutions?

nickos86

+1 on this, as of now moving map is almost unreadable unfortunatelly.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Look at this mod :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301897/

Hope it will help.

Using this mod, displays (HUD, DDIs and AMPCD) look sharp at normal zoom.HUD text has been sharpened and green color has been modified in order to be red on a bright background. On AMPCD, HSI text and lines are now red without outline: this way text and HIS symbology are easily readable with moving map on and also off.

Look at this mod :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301897/

Hope it will help.

Using this mod, displays (HUD, DDIs and AMPCD) look sharp at normal zoom.HUD text has been sharpened and green color has been modified in order to be red on a bright background. On AMPCD, HSI text and lines are now red without outline: this way text and HIS symbology are easily readable with moving map on and also off.

thanks mate, I'll install it tonight :) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Hi All,

I found a neat little trick to selectively dim the Map display on the AMPCD while leaving the fonts at the same brightness. Especially when exported, this makes for a nice dim background map (adjust to your liking using the AMPCD brightness knob) while vastly improving the font readability on the map. I suspect that this will break integrity for MP, but have not tested this myself yet. Maybe this gives ED some ideas on how to permanently fix the readability issues when the map is displayed?

The mod is simple, just comment the lines in

<<GAME INSTALL FOLDER>>\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\AMPCD\indicator\AMPCD_init.lua

as follows (COMMENT OR DELETE lines 4 through 11, see below:

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."devices_defs.lua")
dofile(LockOn_Options.script_path.."Multipurpose_Display_Group/Common/indicator/MDG_materials.lua")

--start MOD here >>>>
--[[opacity_sensitive_materials = 
{
MDG_font_name(MDG_SELF_IDS.HI),
MDG_material_name(MDG_SELF_IDS.HI),
"MPD_DMC_OUTLINE",
"font_MPD_DMC_outline",
"font_MPD_DMC_main",
}
]]
-- End MOD here <<<<<<

-- Parameters handling functions
dofile(LockOn_Options.script_path.."Multipurpose_Display_Group/Common/indicator/InitParams.lua")

indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON

-- for test purposes  HUD only added
purposes	   = {render_purpose.GENERAL, render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}
shaderLineParamsUpdatable  = true
shaderLineDefaultThickness = 0.8
shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 0.5
shaderLineDrawAsWire 	   = false
shaderLineUseSpecularPass  = true

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

I would suggest commenting out the 5 lines inside the { } brackets, rather than the function name. As you have it right now, it is likely throwing errors in your DCS log trying to call a function that does not exist.

But good find, I'm going to try this out myself.

Overalien

Thank you that works a treat I just made it an OVGME mod and it works really well

Doesn't appear to break Integrity check either from what I can make out

can you please share it with us?????

:thumbup:

I would suggest commenting out the 5 lines inside the { } brackets, rather than the function name.

I gave it a try, worked beautifully and passed MP integrity check. Thanks for sharing OP.

i5-2400 | 16GB Corsair XMS3 | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Windows 10 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

can you please share it with us?????

I hope that this works & I am not liable for anything that goes wrong, but this works in OVGME for me

Just drop it into your OVGME folder then enable OVGME and enable the mod.

For first time try I'd recommend backing up the lua, but if you didn't and it screwed things you can always do a repair

FA-18C AMPCD Improved Symbol Clarity.zip

Edited by Weegie
Additional info

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

I found a neat little trick to selectively dim the Map display on the AMPCD while leaving the fonts at the same brightness. Especially when exported, this makes for a nice dim background map (adjust to your liking using the AMPCD brightness knob) while vastly improving the font readability on the map. I suspect that this will break integrity for MP, but have not tested this myself yet. Maybe this gives ED some ideas on how to permanently fix the readability issues when the map is displayed?

The mod is simple, just comment the lines in

<<GAME INSTALL FOLDER>>\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\AMPCD\indicator\AMPCD_init.lua

as follows (COMMENT OR DELETE lines 4 through 11, see below:

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."devices_defs.lua")
dofile(LockOn_Options.script_path.."Multipurpose_Display_Group/Common/indicator/MDG_materials.lua")

--start MOD here >>>>
--[[opacity_sensitive_materials = 
{
   MDG_font_name(MDG_SELF_IDS.HI),
   MDG_material_name(MDG_SELF_IDS.HI),
   "MPD_DMC_OUTLINE",
   "font_MPD_DMC_outline",
   "font_MPD_DMC_main",
}
]]
-- End MOD here <<<<<<

-- Parameters handling functions
dofile(LockOn_Options.script_path.."Multipurpose_Display_Group/Common/indicator/InitParams.lua")

indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON

-- for test purposes  HUD only added
purposes       = {render_purpose.GENERAL, render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}
shaderLineParamsUpdatable  = true
shaderLineDefaultThickness = 0.8
shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 0.5
shaderLineDrawAsWire        = false
shaderLineUseSpecularPass  = true

don´t work for me.

ampcd doesn´t work (black) after comment out the lines. my fault?

That should not be necessary. I just comment out the 5 lines as follows. Always works for me.

opacity_sensitive_materials =

{

--MDG_font_name(MDG_SELF_IDS.HI),

--MDG_material_name(MDG_SELF_IDS.HI),

--"MPD_DMC_OUTLINE",

--"font_MPD_DMC_outline",

--"font_MPD_DMC_main",

}